Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

just put our business up for sale today

just put our business up for sale today

Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold
Default just put our business up for sale today

how weird does it feels to put something up for sale you have built up virtually all of your life... ??
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just put our business up for sale today

Originally Posted by 6mathers
how weird does it feels to put something up for sale you have built up virtually all of your life... ??
I don't know, maybe you could tell us?

I can guess it must be pretty sad - but has to be done in order to make the move, so all in a good cause!

Hope you manage to find a buyer without too much stress and drama...

All the best,

Adele
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Thank you Adele, actually, not sad at all, but pretty liberating, only because, we now realise our decision has really been made.... Canada is what we want to try for. I know we have'nt visited yet, but we are on our way, holiday and networking for summer, who knows after that. We have been told that although the market is bad for residential sales, commercial sales seem to be OK (fingers crossed) Everyone is absolutely amazing on this site (some bloody hillarious) dya reckon its OK to say you can get ever so slightly addicted to this site ha ha.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Adele, actually, not sad at all, but pretty liberating, only because, we now realise our decision has really been made.... Canada is what we want to try for. I know we have'nt visited yet, but we are on our way, holiday and networking for summer, who knows after that. We have been told that although the market is bad for residential sales, commercial sales seem to be OK (fingers crossed) Everyone is absolutely amazing on this site (some bloody hillarious) dya reckon its OK to say you can get ever so slightly addicted to this site ha ha.
That's the spirit! Glad to hear you are viewing it positively

Hope you get the sale soon - and yes, BE is addictive
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I love it, I'm positively mad.....
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

HellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura about

How does it feel. I've got to do the same thing.

My husband has a job offer in Vancouver and will be leaving in March but I've got to sell the house before the rest of us can follow...not looking forward to that....and then I have to sell my business. I can't sell the business before the house as we need my income. I'm still on the bit before when it's not quite real yet..I don't think it will be until one or both of the major parts of our life have sold.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:17 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

From today's Evening Times:-

The cost of the average home in the UK fell to a two-year low last November, following a drop of 8.6% over the previous 12 months.

However, falls were at their most shallow in Scotland, where they dropped by 3.9%.

According to the communities and local government department the average UK house now costs £199,732, taking prices back to November 2006 levels, when the average was £199,238.

Property in Northern Ireland saw the greatest falls, with prices dropping by an average 16.2% over the 12 months to November. In Wales prices took a 10.1% dive, while in England they fell by 8.7%.

There was a 4.4% drop in house prices in the quarter leading to November, compared with a 3.6% fall in the quarter ending in August.

Average prices only topped the £200,000 mark in London, the east of England, the south-east and the south-west.

More recent figures showed the falls continued into December.

Earlier this month Nationwide said prices dropped by 15.9% in the 12 months to December, while Halifax said they fell by 16.2%. The figures reiterate reports from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors released yesterday.

RICS said the last three months of 2008 had shown the weakest performance in the housing market for three decades.

Estate agents sold an average of just 10.1 homes over the quarter.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
From today's Evening Times:-

The cost of the average home in the UK fell to a two-year low last November, following a drop of 8.6% over the previous 12 months.

However, falls were at their most shallow in Scotland, where they dropped by 3.9%.

According to the communities and local government department the average UK house now costs £199,732, taking prices back to November 2006 levels, when the average was £199,238.

Property in Northern Ireland saw the greatest falls, with prices dropping by an average 16.2% over the 12 months to November. In Wales prices took a 10.1% dive, while in England they fell by 8.7%.

There was a 4.4% drop in house prices in the quarter leading to November, compared with a 3.6% fall in the quarter ending in August.

Average prices only topped the £200,000 mark in London, the east of England, the south-east and the south-west.

More recent figures showed the falls continued into December.

Earlier this month Nationwide said prices dropped by 15.9% in the 12 months to December, while Halifax said they fell by 16.2%. The figures reiterate reports from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors released yesterday.

RICS said the last three months of 2008 had shown the weakest performance in the housing market for three decades.

Estate agents sold an average of just 10.1 homes over the quarter.
Yep, doom and gloom!!!! but hey ho, it still appears, decent homes in decent areas are still fetching a reasonable price and lets not forget the massive drop is only because they were ridiculously overpriced in the first place!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HellyWelly
How does it feel. I've got to do the same thing.

My husband has a job offer in Vancouver and will be leaving in March but I've got to sell the house before the rest of us can follow...not looking forward to that....and then I have to sell my business. I can't sell the business before the house as we need my income. I'm still on the bit before when it's not quite real yet..I don't think it will be until one or both of the major parts of our life have sold.
Hi yes, it does feel a little strange, especially when the valuers come around and measure up and then tell you what its worth

Good luck with your house sale.

Mel
Old Jan 17th 2009, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

HellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura about

Hi yes, it does feel a little strange, especially when the valuers come around and measure up and then tell you what its worth

Good luck with your house sale.

Mel
Thanks, good luck too with all future plans