Journeyman??

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Journeyman??

Originally Posted by scaffroche
The name journeyman comes from the tradesman who sticks to the tools for his life and as a result knows what hes doing . Hes on a journey ... You get journeymen boxers too .
I thought it was to do with their daily rates, from "journee" in French? It was still in use in the UK at the turn of the century at least, my grandfather's birth certificate has his father as a "journeyman mason".
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:10 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
It was still in use in the UK at the turn of the century at least, my grandfather's birth certificate has his father as a "journeyman mason".
I'm fairly sure it was still in use in the UK up to the early nineteen sixties. I left in 1963 and I'm almost sure it was in use then.

I don't think I learned the term after coming to Canada, but you never know.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

I'm just oh so young that I'd never heard of it!!
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:16 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
I'm just oh so young that I'd never heard of it!!
Just a mere babe in arms.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:18 pm
Banned

scaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I thought it was to do with their daily rates, from "journee" in French? It was still in use in the UK at the turn of the century at least, my grandfather's birth certificate has his father as a "journeyman mason".
You could be right . I know that the term journeyman is applied to boxers all the time and is used because he is on a journey i.e. in the game a longtime... The journeyman boxer is not normally a pretty sight ! I assumed the term was applied to tradesmen the same way .
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:20 pm
Banned

scaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the rough

And I dont mean that tradesmen are not a pretty sight ! Although come to think of it I know some tradesmen that even a sniper wouldnt take out .
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scaffroche
Hi, I seem to remember someone on here from an agency looking for qualified tradesmen to bring over , had a quick look but couldnt find him . The name journeyman comes from the tradesman who sticks to the tools for his life and as a result knows what hes doing . Hes on a journey ... You get journeymen boxers too .
Thanks for the tip, I think I have found the post and have sent a reply! <fingers crossed!>
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:22 am
Just Joined

towbar is an unknown quantity at this point

why don`t you take a look at the provinces " nominee programms " it`s the easiest and quickest way in to Canada
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

I know I have missed this thread by a couple of weeks, but you may be interested to know when I was serving my apprenticeship as a carpenter in Scotland, in 1989/91, qualified tradesmen were still refered to as journeymen!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant future

In Canada, there are three levels to any " trades training " .

The apprentice, the journeyman and the Master. Guess which one teaches the others ?

Canadian industrial training schools operate on the concept of "hours in class room " and " hours in the field ". One example is the plumbers who have to rack up 5,000 hours in the field, and 4,000 classroom hours ( in a five year period of time ) in order to complete their course of study. Then they write their Provincial examinations, and when they pass, they get a Certificate of Qualification.

Foreigners, regardless of where they have come from, all have to pass the same journeyman examinations as Canadians do.

Employers can be fined and have their business shut down for using non-qualified workers on a job site. Snap inspections by the Provincial labour inspectors are done daily, around each Province.

Jim B. Toronto.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:04 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

I think what your saying is Ontario specific. There is no such term as Master in Manitoba, I believe the equivalent here is a Journeyman who has obtained a Contractors license after passing yet another exam.

Darren

'Jedi Electrician'

Originally Posted by Canadian Citizen
In Canada, there are three levels to any " trades training " .

The apprentice, the journeyman and the Master. Guess which one teaches the others ?

Canadian industrial training schools operate on the concept of "hours in class room " and " hours in the field ". One example is the plumbers who have to rack up 5,000 hours in the field, and 4,000 classroom hours ( in a five year period of time ) in order to complete their course of study. Then they write their Provincial examinations, and when they pass, they get a Certificate of Qualification.

Foreigners, regardless of where they have come from, all have to pass the same journeyman examinations as Canadians do.

Employers can be fined and have their business shut down for using non-qualified workers on a job site. Snap inspections by the Provincial labour inspectors are done daily, around each Province.

Jim B. Toronto.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Padro Alberta is an unknown quantity at this point

Seen your posts, I'm a Journeymen Welder with a IP Red Seal ticket to work around the world. Took me 3 years of college courses +5600hrs logged work training by the Apprenticeship Branch to get Journeymen license. These are the minimum requirements for most job sites. Theres no free ride in Canada.