British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Journeyman?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/journeyman-510856/)

RedMonsk Feb 1st 2008 9:21 am

Journeyman??

Hi, just wondered if anyone could point out the difference between a journeyman and a carpenter??? :confused:

scimdarren Feb 1st 2008 11:07 am

Re: Journeyman??

Originally Posted by RedMonsk (Post 5868508)
Hi, just wondered if anyone could point out the difference between a journeyman and a carpenter??? :confused:

Hi
The term Journeyperson refers to any tradesperson that is fully qualified in his/her trade. ie 'got his ticket'. It was a quaint term used in Britain a long time ago too, but long since forgotten.

So, in Canada you could either be a Journeyman Carpenter or an Apprentice Carpenter.

Regards Darren
(Journeyman Electrician)

RedMonsk Feb 1st 2008 11:12 am

Originally Posted by scimdarren (Post 5869014)
Hi
The term Journeyperson refers to any tradesperson that is fully qualified in his/her trade. ie 'got his ticket'. It was a quaint term used in Britain a long time ago too, but long since forgotten.

So, in Canada you could either be a Journeyman Carpenter or an Apprentice Carpenter.

Regards Darren
(Journeyman Electrician)

Aahhh!! Must tell hubby he is a journeyman carpenter! :lol: Is City & Guilds a qualification they recognise in Canada?

Thanks for the reply! :thumbsup:

JonboyE Feb 1st 2008 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by RedMonsk (Post 5869047)
Is City & Guilds a qualification they recognise in Canada?

Not as such. He could not call himself a journeyman carpenter. Depending on where you are heading it may or may not be an issue. In parts of BC and Alberta a tool belt and a pulse are all the qualifications required to get work as a carpenter in construction. However, he might earn a dollar or two per hour less than a journeyman.

It is also less of an issue if he is self-employed.

scimdarren Feb 1st 2008 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by RedMonsk (Post 5869047)
Aahhh!! Must tell hubby he is a journeyman carpenter! :lol: Is City & Guilds a qualification they recognise in Canada?

Thanks for the reply! :thumbsup:

To be recognised in Canada as a Journeyman, he will need to have his qualifications and experience verified by the apprentice branch of the province you are choosing, once approved he must sit the exam and pass.
This would be an interprovincial (red seal) qualification, good throughout Canada, indefinitely.

....I am sure the City & Guilds Qualification would be recognised as foreign credentials, but he would still need to challenge the Canadian exam.

Darren

RedMonsk Feb 1st 2008 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by scimdarren (Post 5871037)
To be recognised in Canada as a Journeyman, he will need to have his qualifications and experience verified by the apprentice branch of the province you are choosing, once approved he must sit the exam and pass.
This would be an interprovincial (red seal) qualification, good throughout Canada, indefinitely.

....I am sure the City & Guilds Qualification would be recognised as foreign credentials, but he would still need to challenge the Canadian exam.

Darren

Sitting an exam would probably freak him out, but I'm sure he would do well - he has experience in virtually all aspects of carpentry.

We did show interest in applying to New Zealand and his qualifications weren't awarded as many points as we expected. New Zealand are supposedly crying out for tradesmen but hubby needed to have advance C&G to gain extra points! :curse:

Considering apprenticeships are virtually non-existant this days, this was a bitter pill to swallow! :(

scimdarren Feb 2nd 2008 1:11 am

Originally Posted by RedMonsk (Post 5871428)
Sitting an exam would probably freak him out, but I'm sure he would do well - he has experience in virtually all aspects of carpentry.

We did show interest in applying to New Zealand and his qualifications weren't awarded as many points as we expected. New Zealand are supposedly crying out for tradesmen but hubby needed to have advance C&G to gain extra points! :curse:

Considering apprenticeships are virtually non-existant this days, this was a bitter pill to swallow! :(

Unfortunately for us, even though all our preferred countries are desperate for tradesman, they still demand us to s*** miracles in order to be recognised, it is a hell of a struggle.
If you have already looked at NZ and are now considering Canada, it sounds like you just want out of the UK, you need to be sure of your move as you are making lots of sacrifices to get here....it is only when you get here and the reality hits home that you remember the good bits about UK.

I am not trying to put you off, my life is better here than it was in Britain, but it is an uphill climb at first.

Good Luck

Darren

RedMonsk Feb 2nd 2008 8:17 am

Thanks Darren, you are right, it is a big decision!

We keep getting cold feet about making a move, then try to tell ourselves that we will be fine staying put. But in the end, thoughts of leaving the UK keep presenting themselves! :o

As you say, it's the rigamarole that is off-putting! We hope to take a trip to Canada in the summer and make up our minds for good. A job offer wouldn't harm our situation!!! :lol: Waiting 5 years for PR would just be too long, hubby is getting on a bit! :lol:

scimdarren Feb 2nd 2008 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by RedMonsk (Post 5872759)
Thanks Darren, you are right, it is a big decision!

We keep getting cold feet about making a move, then try to tell ourselves that we will be fine staying put. But in the end, thoughts of leaving the UK keep presenting themselves! :o

As you say, it's the rigamarole that is off-putting! We hope to take a trip to Canada in the summer and make up our minds for good. A job offer wouldn't harm our situation!!! :lol: Waiting 5 years for PR would just be too long, hubby is getting on a bit! :lol:

As you may be aware, trade unions are prominent in the bigger construction sites and bigger contracts, you are actually hired through the union. I would suggest searching out and speaking to the trade union for carpenters, speak to them, they might be experienced in how foreign workers get there foot in the door.

http://www.carpenters.org/

On here you will find contacts for all the local union branches in Canada, contact more than just your favoured provinces, the more info you get back the better and the response might indicate how interested they are in you.

Another piece of advice is use the telephone in your research, an email is very easy to ignore!

Darren

RedMonsk Feb 2nd 2008 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by scimdarren (Post 5874218)
As you may be aware, trade unions are prominent in the bigger construction sites and bigger contracts, you are actually hired through the union. I would suggest searching out and speaking to the trade union for carpenters, speak to them, they might be experienced in how foreign workers get there foot in the door.

http://www.carpenters.org/

On here you will find contacts for all the local union branches in Canada, contact more than just your favoured provinces, the more info you get back the better and the response might indicate how interested they are in you.

Another piece of advice is use the telephone in your research, an email is very easy to ignore!

Darren

Thanks Darren! :thumbsup:

stevebarry Feb 2nd 2008 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by RedMonsk (Post 5872759)

As you say, it's the rigamarole that is off-putting! We hope to take a trip to Canada in the summer and make up our minds for good.

Go out in winter, seriously, summer in canada is wonderful, it will sway you right or wrong, but summer in canada is very short, you need to see if you love it in winter!! if that works go for it:thumbsup:

R I C H Feb 2nd 2008 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by stevebarry (Post 5874747)
summer in canada is very short

That's a very broad generalisation - I agree seeing Canada in winter is important (or at least understanding what the area you propose to live in encounters), but as an example, where I live we'll have 70 degree + days from April through to late October, with highs of 100+ I think that's a pretty good long summer really.

RedMonsk Feb 2nd 2008 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by stevebarry (Post 5874747)
Go out in winter, seriously, summer in canada is wonderful, it will sway you right or wrong, but summer in canada is very short, you need to see if you love it in winter!! if that works go for it:thumbsup:

I know what you mean, everything looks better on a summers day. My friend who is going out in the summer also spent Christmas in Vancouver. She absolutely loved it, she said she didn't have enough time to do everything and she wasn't happy to come home!! :)

But I'm keen to have a look as soon as possible, if I spend too long dithering I might get cold feet again! :o

scaffroche Feb 2nd 2008 8:39 pm

Hi, I seem to remember someone on here from an agency looking for qualified tradesmen to bring over , had a quick look but couldnt find him . The name journeyman comes from the tradesman who sticks to the tools for his life and as a result knows what hes doing . Hes on a journey ... You get journeymen boxers too .

RedMonsk Feb 2nd 2008 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by scaffroche (Post 5874852)
Hi, I seem to remember someone on here from an agency looking for qualified tradesmen to bring over , had a quick look but couldnt find him . The name journeyman comes from the tradesman who sticks to the tools for his life and as a result knows what hes doing . Hes on a journey ... You get journeymen boxers too .

Hubby had heard of the term journeyman - so it was just me! :o

Interesting about the agency, will have a look myself. There was an advert in our local paper, would you believe, looking for tradesmen. I'm still trying to put together a resume (!) for him! :eek: