Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Jobs advertised too early - advice please!

Jobs advertised too early - advice please!

Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

molby will become famous soon enoughmolby will become famous soon enough
Default Jobs advertised too early - advice please!

Hi all,
I'm after a bit of advice on Canadian job application etiquette...

DH and I are planning to move to a mountain ski town in either Alberta or BC ready for next year's ski season.
Our mental target for moving out is October, we have got BUNAC visas sorted, currently putting finishing touches to house before we put it on the market, paying off credit card debts, were hoping to apply for jobs in May/June at the earliest.
But now I keep seeing ideal job ads in the places we want to move to most (Nelson, Whistler, Jasper) and I don't know what to do.
I work in local newspapers and there are generally only a couple of papers per town with 2-5 people doing my job in each office, so I'm loathe to let jobs be advertised at least introducing myself. But I also don't want to appear a time waster and jeopardise any future roles.

Do I -
1) Apply for the jobs and if there is any interest ask if there's a possibility of holding the role for a couple of months?
2) Contact them with my resume etc and tell them that I can't apply for these roles but I would be interested if anything comes up in the near future?
3) Wait until something else comes up 'at the right time'?

I'm guessing I'm not the only person who's been in this situation... hope someone can give me some advice!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:07 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs advertised too early - advice please!

You will get loads of advice but my main piece would be to give the companies you want to work for a call (not email) and introduce yourself. Then follow up on that with an email attaching your resume.

About 2 months before do the whole touch base thing again (by phone) tell them you are still heading out that way, then 4 weeks before you go call them again remind them who you are, ask what positions they have available now and go from there.

If you make a bit of a nuisance of yourself, but not enough to be annoying they will realise you are serious and remember you!

Good luck
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

I've read before that Canadian jobs depend a lot more on face to face meetings and phone calls, but one of the job ads says 'no calls' on the bottom of it... should I call them anyway?
I was thinking of emailing and asking if I could have a chat to the editor about the publication or something, as a way to speak to them at a convenient time.

BTW - thanks for the swift reply!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molby

But now I keep seeing ideal job ads in the places we want to move to most (Nelson, Whistler, Jasper) and I don't know what to do.
I work in local newspapers and there are generally only a couple of papers per town with 2-5 people doing my job in each office, so I'm loathe to let jobs be advertised at least introducing myself. But I also don't want to appear a time waster and jeopardise any future roles.

Do I -
1) Apply for the jobs and if there is any interest ask if there's a possibility of holding the role for a couple of months?
2) Contact them with my resume etc and tell them that I can't apply for these roles but I would be interested if anything comes up in the near future?
3) Wait until something else comes up 'at the right time'?
I'd advise number 2, but haven't actually been in your position - it just seems like the best course of action. Option (1) could easily be seen as time-wasting (as you've already considered) and (2) can do no harm! Good luck!

By the way - you mention Jasper. We'd practically be neighbours (give or take 100km, but it's our nearest town.)

Oh, and if any of the positions you spot in Jasper are at the Fitzhugh, let me know, as we're good friends with one of the owners of that paper
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:17 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say send them your resume, and tell them when you are coming over. When that time gets closer ask if you can meet for an informal chat. That way, you are not pressuring them to make you a job offer, but you are opening the door to the idea, and if they like you they just might!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Generally speaking, how long do you think Canadian employers expect to wait between advertising a job and the new employee turning up for work?
For instance, in this country employers have to advertise for at least a couple of weeks, hold interviews, make a decision and let the chosen person give notice for their current job - it usually seems to take at least 5-6 weeks in my experience.
Is there a similar expectation in Canada?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:58 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

There doesn't seem to be such a notice period here. I was requested to give two weeks in the health region here, whereas it was a month in the NHS.

Two people were laid off last week from our office (admin staff) with no notice at all! ... I think they got some severance pay, but don't know how much.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I started looking / applying for jobs 3 months before we came over on BUNAC.

I put in my cover letter that I already had WP sorted, and that our flight was on XX date.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:32 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molby
one of the job ads says 'no calls' on the bottom of it... should I call them anyway?
No, definitely not. All that tells them is that you either a) can't read and understand a simple instruction/request or b) don't care.

However, if you are interested in working for the company there is is no harm in making a speculative 'phone call (absolutely nothing to do with the advertised job which, of course, you don't know about) and saying to them that you will be arriving in October with a work permit and would like to discuss any possible opportunities.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
No, definitely not. All that tells them is that you either a) can't read and understand a simple instruction/request or b) don't care.

However, if you are interested in working for the company there is is no harm in making a speculative 'phone call (absolutely nothing to do with the advertised job which, of course, you don't know about) and saying to them that you will be arriving in October with a work permit and would like to discuss any possible opportunities.
Totally agree with Jonboy.

I used job adverts on Monster etc. to see what companies there were in Vancouver in my field, and then contacted the company directly, rather than applying for the specific job online.