Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Job Offer - what package to negotiate?

Job Offer - what package to negotiate?

Old May 26th 2016, 10:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer - what package to negotiate?

Originally Posted by Lifebeginsat36
Thank you so much everyone. It's tricky to know what is acceptable and what might be being cheeky so the airfares and leave stuff is really interesting as I was worried about asking for those.
Originally Posted by withabix
3 weeks paid annual leave is usually seen as generous in Canada. ....
The leave thing is perhaps the easiest to negotiate because it is a non-cash benefit that doesn't directly hit your employer's revenue/profit.
Old May 27th 2016, 12:20 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
3 weeks paid annual leave is usually seen as generous in Canada
My sense is that 3 weeks is increasingly seen as the norm - at least for forward thinking companies who aren't US subsidiaries (!)- and over that is generous. Certainly my employer - which admittedly is a Canadian subsidiary of a UK company - has 3 weeks as the norm at all levels. YMMV of course.

To the OP I think most things have been captured already. Be aware that Extended health benefits are particularly important ... otherwise you will pay prescriptions at market value (no flat fee in Canada as per UK).
Old May 28th 2016, 5:48 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
My sense is that 3 weeks is increasingly seen as the norm...
I think that's true. I was offered a position today with a 4 week vacation allowance, increasing by 2 days per year after each year of service, and I was asked if that was enough.

Be aware that Extended health benefits are particularly important ... otherwise you will pay prescriptions at market value (no flat fee in Canada as per UK).
Extended health sometimes is offered after an initial qualifying period (such as a probationary 6 months of service). I'd negotiate for it to be made available from the start if possible.
Old May 28th 2016, 12:44 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Extended health sometimes is offered after an initial qualifying period (such as a probationary 6 months of service). I'd negotiate for it to be made available from the start if possible.
Good point and one that I've also negotiated on in the past. You definitely want extended health kicking in immediately if you can.
Old May 28th 2016, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Good point and one that I've also negotiated on in the past. You definitely want extended health kicking in immediately if you can.

That may differ from province to province, & depend on one's (visa/immigrant) status.

As a PR, I did manage to negotiate access to company health plan back-dated to the start date of my probationary period; that enabled me to avoid the insurance company's probationary period.
Old May 30th 2016, 4:50 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

My sense is that 3 weeks is increasingly seen as the norm - at least for forward thinking companies who aren't US subsidiaries (!)- and over that is generous. Certainly my employer - which admittedly is a Canadian subsidiary of a UK company - has 3 weeks as the norm at all levels. YMMV of course.

To the OP I think most things have been captured already. Be aware that Extended health benefits are particularly important ... otherwise you will pay prescriptions at market value (no flat fee in Canada as per UK).
Goes from 2 weeks up to 6 weeks where I work. Depends on length of service of course.

My dad back in the UK chuckled obviously...but he has 35 days + bank holidays.
Old May 30th 2016, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

4 weeks vacation is very attainable these days for people with 10-15 years experience in the role they are been offered.
Old May 30th 2016, 12:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottymallo
4 weeks vacation is very attainable these days
Very attainable for all (or even most) or pretty much limited to those with job types/salary expectations a fair bit higher than average?
Federally regulated employees are entitled to a minimum of two weeks of vacation annually after completing one year of employment with the same employer. After six consecutive years of employment with the same employer, the entitlement increases to three weeks of vacation annually.
for people with 10-15 years experience in the role they are been offered.
Perhaps "role they have been offered" (in demand) is key here, as opposed to getting the job applied for.

Doing some random checking via glassdoor.ca...Banks seems to be 4 weeks after 10 years; Loblaws varies but 4 weeks could be 7 years or even nothing until 3 years done; Sobeys= 2 weeks, 3 @ 5 years; Best Buy 10 days, no mention of upgrade; Walmart looks like a new system and 3 weeks; Ontario Health - not much info other than standard 3 weeks.

Just a selection....
Old May 31st 2016, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Lifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all. The company offered pretty much everything you have suggested without me having to ask - I managed to negotiate additional annual leave. Knowing what they were offering/what I should ask for was very useful.

Now the wait for the LMIA starts - does anyone know if they will require anything from me before they can submit the application? They are preparing the paperwork for submission later this week under the 10 day process. Apparently their lawyer will contact me shortly.

Also, my married name is not my professional/maiden name. My passport states "also known as" since work travel has regularly been in my maiden name. Will it be a problem of the LMIA and contract are in my professional name?
Old May 31st 2016, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

I would have all the paper work visaWP/PR applications, contracts etc in my legal name.