British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Job Offer - what package to negotiate? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/job-offer-what-package-negotiate-878016/)

Lifebeginsat36 May 26th 2016 10:24 am

Job Offer - what package to negotiate?

I have received an offer (NOC 0111) and wondered what benefits I should try and negotiate? Salary c. CAD150k is not negotiable. We are a family of 4 (2 preschool age children).

The employer is going through the LMIA process at the moment - they are used to the process and paperwork they need to send as well as being happy to pay the fee - and hope to have a decision by the end of the month under the expedited 10 day process.

On my previous thread I was told in no uncertain terms to not rely on the LMIA but the employer seems confident they will be successful but the views of others on here have made me very worried.

Former Lancastrian May 26th 2016 10:42 am

Re: Job Offer - what package to negotiate?

Originally Posted by Lifebeginsat36 (Post 11956674)
I have received an offer (NOC 0111) and wondered what benefits I should try and negotiate? Salary c. CAD150k is not negotiable. We are a family of 4 (2 preschool age children).

The employer is going through the LMIA process at the moment - they are used to the process and paperwork they need to send as well as being happy to pay the fee - and hope to have a decision by the end of the month under the expedited 10 day process.

On my previous thread I was told in no uncertain terms to not rely on the LMIA but the employer seems confident they will be successful but the views of others on here have made me very worried.

Well some might question that Canada has no qualified Financial Managers or anyone willing to apply for the job being offered to you hence the scepticism of the company being able to get a LMIA or that they could not find a US citizen for the job who would not need a LMIA because of NAFTA.

Lifebeginsat36 May 26th 2016 11:05 am

It's a very niche role in a specific industry.

Engineer_abroad May 26th 2016 2:28 pm

Benefits wise I would aim for:

1) airfare for you and family to Canada;
2) Extra baggage cost for flight (if you don't get 2 bags a piece)
3) Temp accommodation in a serviced apartment (not hotel) for 4 weeks
4) Temp medical insurance for you and family until MSP/employer health benefits kick in
5) 5% of salary mark up in lieu of pension (at least for the first year until you can start a private pension)
6) Costs of shipping for goods or payment of a relocation allowance (this amount will be income taxable so bear that in mind when negotiating value).
7) Tax advise for first filing in Canada

Hope that's helps

withabix May 26th 2016 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 11956846)

1) airfare for you and family to Canada;
2) Extra baggage cost for flight (if you don't get 2 bags a piece)
3) Temp accommodation in a serviced apartment (not hotel) for 4 weeks
4) Temp medical insurance for you and family until MSP/employer health benefits kick in
5) 5% of salary mark up in lieu of pension (you wont be able to have a Canadian pension till you are PR)
6) Costs of shipping for goods or payment of a relocation allowance (this amount will be income taxable so bear that in mind when negotiating value).
7) Tax advise for first filing in Canada

Hope that's helps

5 isn't true.
4 is only worth about $900 as a guide.

I got $10,000 relocation allowance, net of any taxes. 50% was paid by cheque to me whilst still in the UK and the other 50% was paid after I'd been here for a month. After 4 months I w

Pulaski May 26th 2016 3:07 pm

A decent/ reasonable number of vacation days.

JonboyE May 26th 2016 3:11 pm

An extended heath package. This is insurance for prescription drugs, routine dentistry and so on. I will be surprised if i is not included at that salary level but best to check.

You will start paying for a Canadian state pension with your first pay cheque. You will be able to make contributions to a private pension next year. There are slightly different rules if the company has a mandatory defined benefit scheme, but not many do. Maybe they will offer contribution matching.

withabix May 26th 2016 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11956872)

Weeks before the financial crash, the first time I tried to get over here, I had negotiated a package that matched my UK holidays (5 weeks and 3 days at that time, plus stats).

That company's turnover dropped dramatically and the job never came off in the end.

I couldn't negotiate the same deal this time...

Currently on 3 weeks....

As for Private Pension, you can start those at any time as long as you were employed in Canada in the previous tax year. My employer matches contributions with a 5% limit currently.

Shirtback May 26th 2016 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 11956846)

1) airfare for you and family to Canada

Isn't that (bolded bit) a requirement for a TWP?

Pizzawheel May 26th 2016 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11956872)

Explain that 20 days is entry level in britain, managerial is 25+ and go from there.

Siouxie May 26th 2016 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 11957080)
Isn't that (bolded bit) a requirement for a TWP?

Only for semi-skilled or low-skilled I believe.

:)

Shirtback May 26th 2016 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11957108)
Explain that 20 days is entry level in britain, managerial is 25+ and go from there.

In my neck of the woods, (senior) management seems to regularly negotiate/get ~28 days + statutory holidays.

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11957112)
Only for semi-skilled or low-skilled I believe.

:)

Ah, thanks. I didn't look up chapter & verse before my reply ;). I'd definitely ask for it (for me & family) if I were in OP's situation..

Shirtback May 26th 2016 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 11956877)
An extended heath package. This is insurance for prescription drugs, routine dentistry and so on. I will be surprised if i is not included at that salary level but best to check.

That's mandatory here in Qc, for employers who employ over a set # of employees. & depending on one's status.

Lifebeginsat36 May 26th 2016 10:28 pm

Thank you so much everyone. It's tricky to know what is acceptable and what might be being cheeky so the airfares and leave stuff is really interesting as I was worried about asking for those.

withabix May 26th 2016 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Lifebeginsat36 (Post 11957193)
Thank you so much everyone. It's tricky to know what is acceptable and what might be being cheeky so the airfares and leave stuff is really interesting as I was worried about asking for those.

3 weeks paid annual leave is usually seen as generous in Canada :eek: