Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

JOB HUNT IN NOVA SCOTIA

JOB HUNT IN NOVA SCOTIA

Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

buddles is an unknown quantity at this point
Question JOB HUNT IN NOVA SCOTIA

Hi everyone, looking for a bit of advice on job hunting. OH and I move to NS in July this year. OH has job lined up which is great. I on the other hand have no idea what I want to do and am looking for a few pointers. My background (briefly) is have a business degree and about 10 years of working in various office environments. I then decided I was fed up sitting in an office all day working for people who were only interested in making a profit. I wanted a change and wanted to give something back to the community, so for the last 5 years have been working as a Community Warden with a couple of local authorities. It can be quite interesting and varied at times but the level of abuse you receive can wear you down eventually. Anyway, I now don't really know what I want to do and was wondering if anyone else has been or is in the same position as me and where they went looking for jobs. I have read the WIKI articles on job hunting and understand that networking is the way to go. I would also like to do some voluntary working which could be a good way of networking also. Any thoughts???

Thanks Laura
Old Apr 26th 2009, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

AyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really nice
Default Re: JOB HUNT IN NOVA SCOTIA

Hi Laura,

In my opinion you're at an advantage not knowing what you want to do. It leaves your options open. Perhaps use the experience you have to get your foot in the door and to get some Canadian experience on your resume, then you can decide what area you'd like to get into and still be earning something.

Most places in NS ask for at least 3 years work experience for young professional type work. Which is a common gripe for new graduates etc, so your years of experience put you at a definite advantage.

You could always try sending your resume to any of the headhunters: Robertson Surrette, Summit Search Group, Gerald Walsh and Spherion.

You could also search for jobs using the web sites:
Career Beacon
Workopolis
Job Bank

And check for jobs on the University Websites (Dalhousie, St Mary's, NSCAD,Kings College) within Government and Halifax Regional Municipality.

In terms of networking, Fusion is a great networking opportunity. Lots of different people from all sorts of backgrounds. They have a Facebook page which you can join. In fact, there are several groups in Halifax on Facebook that could help you out with the networking. There's also a Meet up Group, which would give you the chance to network with another group of people.

There’s an abundance of places you could volunteer depending on what sort of work you want to do. Feel free to email me if I can help any further. Good Luck with the job hunt and the move.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: JOB HUNT IN NOVA SCOTIA

Originally Posted by AyrLass
Hi Laura,

In my opinion you're at an advantage not knowing what you want to do. It leaves your options open. Perhaps use the experience you have to get your foot in the door and to get some Canadian experience on your resume, then you can decide what area you'd like to get into and still be earning something.

Most places in NS ask for at least 3 years work experience for young professional type work. Which is a common gripe for new graduates etc, so your years of experience put you at a definite advantage.

You could always try sending your resume to any of the headhunters: Robertson Surrette, Summit Search Group, Gerald Walsh and Spherion.

You could also search for jobs using the web sites:
Career Beacon
Workopolis
Job Bank

And check for jobs on the University Websites (Dalhousie, St Mary's, NSCAD,Kings College) within Government and Halifax Regional Municipality.

In terms of networking, Fusion is a great networking opportunity. Lots of different people from all sorts of backgrounds. They have a Facebook page which you can join. In fact, there are several groups in Halifax on Facebook that could help you out with the networking. There's also a Meet up Group, which would give you the chance to network with another group of people.

There’s an abundance of places you could volunteer depending on what sort of work you want to do. Feel free to email me if I can help any further. Good Luck with the job hunt and the move.
Thanks Ayrlass for your reply.

Have been on some of the links you gave me but hadn't seen the networking sites before, so will spend a bit of time on them. Can I take it from your name that you are actually from Ayr? only a few miles down the road from us!

Cheers again,

Laura
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

AyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really nice

Hi Laura,

You're welcome. I'm glad the networking sites are of some help. I'd highly recommend Fusion and the Meet up group is a great way to meet new people and to get out and about to new places you might not otherwise visit or know about (as well as networking opportnities).

Small world, I am originally from Ayr but haven't lived there for about 10 years. It's funny, I noticed since moving here how few photos I have from the West coast, despite how different and beautiful the scenery is. I took it for granted when I was there. So take loads of pics before you leave if you don't have any already!!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: JOB HUNT IN NOVA SCOTIA

Hi Laura,

You're welcome. I'm glad the networking sites are of some help. I'd highly recommend Fusion and the Meet up group is a great way to meet new people and to get out and about to new places you might not otherwise visit or know about (as well as networking opportnities).

Small world, I am originally from Ayr but haven't lived there for about 10 years. It's funny, I noticed since moving here how few photos I have from the West coast, despite how different and beautiful the scenery is. I took it for granted when I was there. So take loads of pics before you leave if you don't have any already!!
Thanks for the tip, although I have a very keen camera finger that just keeps clicking away, got loads of photos. In fact Colin and I are going to Rowardennan at the weekend to climb Ben Lomond. It was a brithday pressie for him, so the camera will be snapping away like mad. How long you been in Halifax?

Laura
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Good for you, I've been taking heaps more photos since moving, but I regret not taking more in Scotland.

Been in Halifax 15 months, absolutely love it here. People are really friendly and in some ways it's so similar to Scotland it makes it pretty easy to settle in.

If you like your hiking, there's some really great places not far from Halifax. You should check out Cape Split when you get here - nice hike and wonderful views.

Have a great time at Ben Lomond!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Good for you, I've been taking heaps more photos since moving, but I regret not taking more in Scotland.

Been in Halifax 15 months, absolutely love it here. People are really friendly and in some ways it's so similar to Scotland it makes it pretty easy to settle in.

If you like your hiking, there's some really great places not far from Halifax. You should check out Cape Split when you get here - nice hike and wonderful views.

Thanks, can't wait and I'll bear Cape Split in mind.

Cheers again.

Laura
Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Hi Ayrlass, don't know if this will work, but I remembered I had a photo of Ayr beach at sunset taken round about this time last year. I have tried to attach it hopefully it will work for you.

Laura
Attached Thumbnails JOB HUNT IN NOVA SCOTIA-31052008028.jpg  
Old May 20th 2009, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by buddles
Hi Ayrlass, don't know if this will work, but I remembered I had a photo of Ayr beach at sunset taken round about this time last year. I have tried to attach it hopefully it will work for you.

Laura
Hey Laura, thanks so much! Cracking shot with Arran in view. Looking forward to visiting some time in the future. Thanks for sharing the photo