Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

exciting development from Calgary

exciting development from Calgary

Old May 20th 2009, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Steez1982 will become famous soon enoughSteez1982 will become famous soon enough
Default exciting development from Calgary

hey everyone

so a brief background for me: as my signature indicates I did BUNAC Student in Canada a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Applied for residency via the SW route but under the new system even though I had the points my occupation (admin) wasn't on the list.

Back to the drawing board. I came back to Canada on BUNAC non-student in November and spent the winter as a ski-bum. I was contemplating trying the Quebec immigration channel as well.

then...I came to Calgary a few weeks ago and have now been offered a permanent, full-time skilled admin job with one of the local colleges who are happy to go the LMO and sponsorship route. Hooray! So excited.

I know there's a long road ahead and I hope everything is underway because my BUNAC visa runs out on Nov 15.

In the meantime, I'm starting work on Monday, looking into changing my BC plates over to Alberta ones (yup I own a truck, how Canadian am I) and looking forward to my first stampede experience this summer.

Hooray Again!

Anyone else in Cowtown?
Old May 20th 2009, 10:21 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: exciting development from Calgary

I loved Calgary!!

I'm aussie and was offered a job in Jan only in March to have it canned. So i've decided to stick it out in Melbourne until mid 2011 and continue working and also complete my business degree.

Hopefully good work opportunities will exist for when I go back.

Australia WHV is awesome with Canada basically the WHV is 2 years and renewable so essentially if I want to Migrate to Canada at my age of 24 its no problems!!!
Old May 20th 2009, 2:23 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steez1982

Anyone else in Cowtown?
Congrats

and in answer to your question, loadsa us
Old May 20th 2009, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

sunshine81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Steez that is great news about the job.

We would love to emigrate to Calgary and we are seriously looking into BUNAC (probs next year) as a way of getting out foot in the door. And the thought of being a ski bum for 3 or 4 months is to good an opportunity to miss

Can i ask you what sort of a job you do? It's refreshing to hear that a company is willing to apply for a LMO for a skilled admin job.

Good luck!
Old May 20th 2009, 5:42 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshine81
Hey Steez that is great news about the job.

We would love to emigrate to Calgary and we are seriously looking into BUNAC (probs next year) as a way of getting out foot in the door. And the thought of being a ski bum for 3 or 4 months is to good an opportunity to miss

Can i ask you what sort of a job you do? It's refreshing to hear that a company is willing to apply for a LMO for a skilled admin job.

Good luck!
So are you thinking you wont do the whole season then??
Old May 20th 2009, 5:52 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

In the meantime, I'm starting work on Monday, looking into changing my BC plates over to Alberta ones (yup I own a truck, how Canadian am I) and looking forward to my first stampede experience this summer.
As Butch (not really) said there are loads of us. Congrats on the job and don't forget your out of province inspection before you get your plates.
Old May 20th 2009, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Steez1982 will become famous soon enoughSteez1982 will become famous soon enough

oh God yeah so much to sort with the truck.

my background in admin is that I worked for a year as a Senior Administrator in the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland and now I've got a job as an administrator in another local college.

Prior to that I studied English at uni. I've also done three season as a ski-bum in BC so any questions about ski-bumming, I'm the girl to ask
Old May 20th 2009, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
So are you thinking you wont do the whole season then??

I would love to do a whole season but am thinking that 3 or 4 months is about all my body could take. There is also the small task of trying to get a job in Calgary and i dont think ski bum will help much with that. A crying shame i know

Unless of course someone knows different?
Old May 20th 2009, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Are you sure the vehicle has to be inspected before I can change my plates? It only came from BC...
Old May 20th 2009, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

oh God yeah so much to sort with the truck.

my background in admin is that I worked for a year as a Senior Administrator in the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland and now I've got a job as an administrator in another local college.

Prior to that I studied English at uni. I've also done three season as a ski-bum in BC so any questions about ski-bumming, I'm the girl to ask
Hey Steez,

Where did you ski bum? I was in Fernie two years for a ski holiday. It was awsome but so so cold. Great pow though
Old May 20th 2009, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

well unless you're at somewhere like Sunshine then a ski-season is only three or four months anyway? I've a bit confused.

I did two seasons at Fernie and then this winter past I was at Red Mountain which was SICK but also the scariest hill I've ever skied at.

It's definitely possible to combine ski-bumming and then tackle PR stuff come the springtime
Old May 20th 2009, 7:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sunshine81
I would love to do a whole season but am thinking that 3 or 4 months is about all my body could take. There is also the small task of trying to get a job in Calgary and i dont think ski bum will help much with that. A crying shame i know

Unless of course someone knows different?
Why not work in Banff or on one of the hills?
Old May 20th 2009, 7:41 pm
Banned

Are you sure the vehicle has to be inspected before I can change my plates? It only came from BC...
Yes, absolutely
Old May 20th 2009, 8:40 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, a friend of mine bought her car in Calgary moved to BC for few years and then moved back to AB and had to have an out of province inspection even though the car was originally bought in AB.
Old May 20th 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

I thought you were going to tells us it was sunny. I heard on the TV is was snow showers and rain.......

Last edited by Essex_Man; May 20th 2009 at 9:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.