Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ive never moved so much snow in my life

ive never moved so much snow in my life

Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ive never moved so much snow in my life

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Anyone know anything about knees?
My wife could never remember the English for the elbow...so she called it the arm knee.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:43 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
My wife could never remember the English for the elbow...so she called it the arm knee.
Sounds a bit like front bottom.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:29 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Sounds a bit like front bottom.
Sounds like you don't know your A**se from your elbow to me!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:14 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosylady
Hi Amy I am just wondering how you are getting on with the SNOW BLOWER. It sounds like a good deal $89. We are thinking of getting one
Thankfully I haven't had to use it again since the weekend - the snow is slowly melting away and Nova Scotia is turning to mush!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Rosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Thankfully I haven't had to use it again since the weekend - the snow is slowly melting away and Nova Scotia is turning to mush!

We have blue sky here and just a little snow on the ground.

But we know it will be here soon. :curse: Do you know anyone else who has tried the blower ?

Thank you for taking the time to reply
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We bought an electric snow pusher thingy
Does it look like this?

Check out the video here.

Last edited by BristolUK; Nov 26th 2008 at 10:46 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:16 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Does it look like this?

Whether to shovel or blow snow depends on a number of factors.
1) Are you reasonably young and fit? There are quite a few heart attacks each year during snow clearing activities.
2) Do you have any youngsters who can do it for/help you?
3) How much annual snowfall in your area?
4) Do you have the time to shovel. It can take 2/3 hours to do it after a heavy snowfall?
5) How much area has to be cleared?

The picture you attached is for an electric snow shovel. It would be for small areas where the annual snowfall is minimal. I have had one and they really do not do a satisfactory job.
For a larger area and/or heavy snowfall region you would need a snow BLOWER which has a gasoline motor and is quite powerful. They come in different sizes/power levels depending on your needs. Needless to say they are much more expensive (from $600 to over $1500). Most newcomers resist spending the money thinking they can shovel themselves, but quickly change their minds when faced with 10-12 inches of wet snow.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:35 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

The picture you attached is for an electric snow shovel. It would be for small areas where the annual snowfall is minimal. I have had one and they really do not do a satisfactory job.
For a larger area and/or heavy snowfall region you would need a snow BLOWER which has a gasoline motor and is quite powerful. They come in different sizes/power levels depending on your needs. Needless to say they are much more expensive (from $600 to over $1500). Most newcomers resist spending the money thinking they can shovel themselves, but quickly change their minds when faced with 10-12 inches of wet snow.[/QUOTE]

Ooh get you...! I don't think you could call snowfall in NS minimal and nor am I using mine to do a small area. Mine did a really good job of clearing the snow quickly and even feeble me could use it.

Each to their own - some of us don't have pots of cash to buy snow BLOWERS so have to make do with what we can get.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:40 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Dont bother with either - instead get a nice 4x4 truck and drive over it!!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Mikey B
Dont bother with either - instead get a nice 4x4 truck and drive over it!!
Or live in an apartment. Failing that, stay in the UK.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Does it look like this?

What a classy video.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rosylady
Hi Amy I am just wondering how you are getting on with the SNOW BLOWER. It sounds like a good deal $89. We are thinking of getting one
snow blower for $89 where where we would be interested in knowing how they are
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:08 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Or live in an apartment. Failing that, stay in the UK.
But the UK is a sh@thole! Plus snow is fun!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Mikey B
But the UK is a sh@thole! Plus snow is fun!
Sure is - specially when your watching someone else clear it
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:03 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
... an electric snow shovel. It would be for small areas where the annual snowfall is minimal. I have had one and they really do not do a satisfactory job.
For a larger area and/or heavy snowfall region you would need a snow BLOWER ... Most newcomers resist spending the money thinking they can shovel themselves, but quickly change their minds when faced with 10-12 inches of wet snow.
Well, as was said earlier......

We bought an electric snow pusher thingy today - its bloody brilliant! Works really well and will do the job perfectly, as long as we only park our car at the very, very end of our very, very big drive!! We wil leave that snow filled for the kids to slide down the hill into on their sledges!

You just plug it in and push it and it chucks the snow out of the way - we got ours the day after the big snow so we had to use it to chuck the top layer of ice off first, and then push through the soft snow underneath, but it was really easy and honestly worked really well!

If we were going to use our drive as we do when it doesn't snow, then in reality we would need a full on snow blower machine thingy, but we don't ... NEED to clear the whole drive so this thing makes us a nice path around the property to our exit and we are sorted.
I don't think you could call snowfall in NS minimal and nor am I using mine to do a small area. Mine did a really good job of clearing the snow quickly and even feeble me could use it.
We don't have minimal snow in NB either. We've had three winters with just me, two teens and snow shovel/pushers. If it's only been a few inches, I've done it myself. More and we all do it. We've had plenty of wet snow so I know what that's like.

One of the most irritating parts is having to push snow into the road and then further down to the side and out of the way; not being allowed to leave it in the street. This gadget sounds like it could throw that snow making that task easier.

All but one time, we have always cleared the end of the driveway and a pathway to the garage door so I can get my mountain bike out. That one time was last winter when we had THREE very LARGE snowfalls in the space of a week (each one bigger than any single one in our time here) and it became impossible to push/lift snow on top of the snowbanks from the previous two..

I paid $46 for a tractor/snowblower to clear the driveway. That looks pretty good compared to a snow blower for $1000+.

This winter I have brought my bike inside. That gives me the option of just paying $25 to have the front of the drive plowed with no need to get to the garage.

This cheapie electric gadget could, at the very least, make things easier. Even if it's just to make the initial impact on a top layer or for the ridge the nice plowman leaves across the driveway.

I do have an advantage in not having to go to work so I don't need to be up clearing it early to dig a car out. So I can pretty much clear at my leisure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.