Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

its snowing hard again here in West Yorks..

its snowing hard again here in West Yorks..

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:51 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: its snowing hard again here in West Yorks..

Originally Posted by ann m

Despite the slagging off it usually gets, the transport links in the UK are phenomenal
Theoretically they are, especially in London, but I honestly think the public transport in Manchester is abysmal.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:57 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Theoretically they are, especially in London, but I honestly think the public transport in Manchester is abysmal.
But you can also jump on a train to other cities and areas within the UK / Europe.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:58 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
But you can also jump on a train to other cities and areas within the UK / Europe.
You can, you'll pay through the nose for it though unless you buy your tickets way in advance.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

I second that. It's great if you are a student, but if you live to the north of the city centre, you have an expensive, unreliable commute. I hate FirstBus with a passion.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wolstie
I second that. It's great if you are a student, but if you live to the north of the city centre, you have an expensive, unreliable commute. I hate FirstBus with a passion.
FirstBus is a swear word innit.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Strawberry
FirstBus is a swear word innit.
WorstBus is what it is known as in my office... And we're transport consultants meant to be promoting public transport. It's so difficult in Manchester! I just want to tell people, "save yourself the hassle, use your car!"
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That's what makes things work though, people are far less dependant upon so called 'public services' and they just find their own way around problems. In Britain you don't have the freedom or the ability to do that but the public services are shit.
In what way do you have less freedom or ability to travel by car, bicycle or horse in the UK than in Canada?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

WorstBus is what it is known as in my office... And we're transport consultants meant to be promoting public transport. It's so difficult in Manchester! I just want to tell people, "save yourself the hassle, use your car!"
ha ha, then you have to find a carparking space!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Strawberry
ha ha, then you have to find a carparking space!
I could give you a list of places on the outskirts of the centre that charge between £2 - £3. I only have a 5 - 10 minute walk to the office.

When you take into account WorstBus's £2.50 single fare, it is quite a saving!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:10 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

You can, you'll pay through the nose for it though unless you buy your tickets way in advance.
But the choice and ability is there
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

I could give you a list of places on the outskirts of the centre that charge between £2 - £3. I only have a 5 - 10 minute walk to the office.

True,
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:12 am
Beep

Unless you have to pay for the running costs of your vehicle on top of that
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by el_richo
Unless you have to pay for the running costs of your vehicle on top of that
also true.,
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:25 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Here in NS it's a beautiful calm, clear and sunny day. 12.2 degrees outside and the woodpeckers are going crazy (pecking wood, that is).
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:26 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by dbd33
In what way do you have less freedom or ability to travel by car, bicycle or horse in the UK than in Canada?
The silly narrow roads and the road taxation system are a good start.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Feb 3rd 2010 at 4:28 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.