Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Isofix car seat

Isofix car seat

Old May 9th 2019, 8:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Isofix car seat

My 4 yr old granddaughter has on occasion, when it is unavoidable, been in cabs and UBER vehicles in Toronto without a child seat. She sits in the middle of the back seat, using the seatbelt and an adult either side holding her.
Old May 9th 2019, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Caro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
You wouldn't be allowed to ride in a cab with your child on your knee ........ the cabbie and you would be liable to huge fines, and he may lose his license.

You said earlier that your plane does not land until around midnight. It could well be 2 hours of more before you are through Customs and Immigration, and got all your baggage. THEN you have to get into the line for cabs.

As someone who travelled a lot with a 15 month old (around the world for a year), I really would advise you to check out the possibility of getting a room in a hotel AT the airport, so all you have to do is walk your way to it.

You will be blasted, and the kiddie will be tired out its mind ............ and you might well have had a flight that your kiddie had not enjoyed, giving you and your wife a hard time.

Get a good night's rest there, then you can get the hotel desk to call a cab for you WITH a car seat provided.

I can also assure you that landing at that hour in the morning, even with someone else driving, you will be flinching at driving "on the wrong side". We did it in Montreal on our first visit to Canada, and I still remember it with horror ............. not only the wrong way traffic, but the way the cabbie drove!

Just Google hotels at Toronto Airport, and check it out.

from "been there, done that"
Yeah it's midnight UK time, around 7pm Ottawa time. Goodness me, I really was hoping it wouldn't take that long to get out of the airport. We will be shattered!! And I don't even want to start thinking about our little one (who incidentally will be 15 months like yours was!) and what if she doesn't sleep on the plane... It will be way past her bedtime! When my husband went to Ottawa last year, his flight left around midday... I wish they hadn't changed that, but never mind...

Thank you for that, we will check out hotels at Ottawa airport for the first night, then maybe downtown to sort out some things the second night and then we will be moving into rented anyway. Also, if we are refreshed enough after the first night, we may be able to get a hire car for ourselves anyway... And use our illegal car seat on the way to the nearest car seat shop!

PS: I AM the wife...

Last edited by Caro90; May 9th 2019 at 8:35 pm.
Old May 9th 2019, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

ooops ...... sorry!!!

I should have guessed from your site name!

Then you will be tired out of your tree, and your OH might also be .............. depending on which one of you your little one wants to be with.

Your little one will have had a journey in the UK to the airport, a wait around the airport, a 5-6 hour flight, wait before getting off the plane,and the journey through the airport with Customs and Immigration can be an indeterminate time ..... depending on how planes have landed, how busy Customs and Immigration is, how many officers are on duty, how long it takes your bags to get off the plane and into the airport, etc etc.

So much waiting for her, so little for her to do. Have you got a back pack seat that she can ride in??? We found that ours was much happier sitting in one of those on her father's back watching everything over his shoulder, even falling asleep. Meanwhile he had his hands free.

At least Ottawa is a much smaller airport than Toronto!
Old May 9th 2019, 9:02 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
You wouldn't be allowed to ride in a cab with your child on your knee ........ the cabbie and you would be liable to huge fines, and he may lose his license.
This is not the case, in Ontario at least. Taxis are exempt from child seat legislation when operating for hire (although off-duty taxi drivers are still required to have child seats if they transport their own children in the vehicle) Choose the right child car seat – FAQ

You said earlier that your plane does not land until around midnight. It could well be 2 hours of more before you are through Customs and Immigration, and got all your baggage. THEN you have to get into the line for cabs.
Ottawa is a relatively small airport. Even at 7pm local time, there may well not be that big a queue either for initial passport screening or for immigration/TWP processing. Two hours is an outside possibility. And from past experience at YOW, the taxi line is relatively short and moves quickly

As someone who travelled a lot with a 15 month old (around the world for a year), I really would advise you to check out the possibility of getting a room in a hotel AT the airport, so all you have to do is walk your way to it.

You will be blasted, and the kiddie will be tired out its mind ............ and you might well have had a flight that your kiddie had not enjoyed, giving you and your wife a hard time.

Get a good night's rest there, then you can get the hotel desk to call a cab for you WITH a car seat provided.
I'm going to respectfully disagree again. Why spend a stressful night so close to your destination but still "in transit," living out of a suitcase in an unfamiliar hotel, and have to deal with airport traffic in the morning? Get a cab to somwhere you can have a more leisurely start to the day, without worrying about how you will get to where you need to be, or check out times, etc.
I can also assure you that landing at that hour in the morning, even with someone else driving, you will be flinching at driving "on the wrong side". We did it in Montreal on our first visit to Canada, and I still remember it with horror ............. not only the wrong way traffic, but the way the cabbie drove!
I think (because I was guilt of the same assumption) that there's a bit of a confusion about times. The OP is landing at 7pm local, as I understand it (which is midnight UK time, hence confusion?). So it's still light outside. If being a passenger on the other side of the road is so worrying, close your eyes. I wonder if the OP has ever been on holiday anywhere in Europe?

Just Google hotels at Toronto Airport, and check it out.

from "been there, done that"
The OP is flying in to Ottawa.
Old May 10th 2019, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I remember enough of Brit speak to know that "respectfully disagree" means .... you're a bloomin' idiot!

I was talking from experience, and YES, I did realise later that the OP was going to Ottawa not Toronto, as you might have noticed!
Old May 10th 2019, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Brooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really nice

Hi

I was just going to offer my two cents with regards to the car seats, as we have made the trip to Vancouver 3 times from Manchester with our little one and have rented cars each time.

I should also say that we are also “those parents” with super expensive extended rear-facing U.K. car seats. Our little one is almost 3 and still rear facing. We also won’t put her in a taxi without a car seat, despite it being legal. Therefore we always travel with a car seat.

Anyway, back to the point. Can I recommend leaving your large ISOFIX car seats in the UK, as the bulk and the weight of them is going to be so incredibly difficult to get through the airports. If you are making the move, I imagine you are going to have a decent amount of luggage and an additional heavy car seat is going to be a massive burden. Plus you won’t be able to use them in Canada as a resident for more then a few days, (it’s perfectly legal as a visitor to use a U.K. car seat).

From our experience, I would recommend a lightweight rear-facing U.K. seat to use in the car to the UK airport that secures with a belt, such as the Joie Steadi. That way you can have all the straps set correctly to your little ones size, and you can practice securing it correctly at home using the seatbelt. A seat like that is pretty much guaranteed to fit into any rental car you have. It should also last a good few years, so you can have it on hand to travel with when visiting back to the U.K.

One of our most challenging traveling experiences was trying to fit a car seat borrowed from a friend into a rental car, and trying to figure out how to secure it/correctly adjust the straps. The frustration was horrible when dealing with a very tired little one and jet lag. The differences might seem subtle, but when you’re already tired and grumpy they can be so hard to decipher cryptic fitting instructions. Now we travel with a Canadian car seat that lives in our loft when in the U.K. Whenever we have a trip coming up, we take it out of the loft ahead of time and re-adjust the harness and review the fitting instructions to avoid the stress.

We are making the move permanently to Canada in July and will sadly be selling our fancy rotating U.K. Isofix car seats. So I understand the heartache haha. Also, I’m not sure if the anchor points are exactly the same, but the LATCH system we have on our Canadian car seat is nothing like the rigid isofix connections on our U.K. seats. The LATCH system is more like a independent seat belt that connects through the base of the car seat. I’m not certain that the rigid Isofix connects to the LATCH anchor points, but I’ve never tried.

So sorry about the essay. Basically I think that your safest bet is to get a simple, lightweight U.K. car seat and become a expert of fitting it with the normal seatbelt. It really is going to be your least stressful and most importantly safest option for your little one.

Good of luck for your move!
Old May 10th 2019, 11:31 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

On Ottawa Airport.... The Hilton Garden Inn is the closest hotel (to the best of my recollection). It's close (<5m in cab or hotel shuttle) but outside of the airport itself so not impacted by traffic in the morning. (Although traffic going into Ottawa during rush hour will be a factor but that's the same anywhere). I've stayed there a couple of times, albeit sans family. It's comfortable enough. I'd stay there again. https://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/...GMB-HI-YOWAPGI
Old May 10th 2019, 4:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could book a rental vehicle and book a child seat when you book it - much simpler!

https://www.avis.ca/en/products-and-...ildsafetyseats
(AVIS use the Latch system in Canada - see the chart on that page) - you can rent a child seat in the vehicle for $12 a day.

https://www.enterprise.ca/en/reserve.html#extras $11 a day up to a maximum of $65

There's even a rental company in Ottawa that you can obtain everything from, if needed (they deliver to the airport and hotels, as well as residential) https://www.littletravellers.ca/car-seats.html

Last edited by Siouxie; May 10th 2019 at 4:52 pm.
Old May 10th 2019, 9:56 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Or you could book a rental vehicle and book a child seat when you book it - much simpler!

https://www.avis.ca/en/products-and-...ildsafetyseats
(AVIS use the Latch system in Canada - see the chart on that page) - you can rent a child seat in the vehicle for $12 a day.

https://www.enterprise.ca/en/reserve.html#extras $11 a day up to a maximum of $65

There's even a rental company in Ottawa that you can obtain everything from, if needed (they deliver to the airport and hotels, as well as residential) https://www.littletravellers.ca/car-seats.html
That's what we did when our kids were small and we travelled .
Old May 11th 2019, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Caro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much everyone for your feedback! It really helps us hearing about all your experiences and suggestions so we can figure out what will work best for us.