Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Interviewing Immigrants

Interviewing Immigrants

Old Oct 22nd 2021, 4:46 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interviewing Immigrants

I have a feeling that if we were interviewing someone and a hound wandered into frame, that we'd start asking questions about the hound.

I completely agree that in today's climate, if you're interviewing someone from home, then you should expect that people will try to make things as office like as possible, but it's not always possible to do that. If they have a screaming child on their knee, ok, that's not great, but we all have to adapt to how things are right now.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be 2 groups, the one's who accept working from home will have challenges and undestand said challenges, and those who expect completely dedicated and quiet office at home, which for apartment and condo dwellers is often not possible.

A few months back on the Vancouver reddit I think it was, maybe it was a FB group, someone wrote about their experience of 2 people working from home in a 250sq foot micro suite apartment, seemed a wee bit challenging.

Old Oct 22nd 2021, 5:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I have a feeling that if we were interviewing someone and a hound wandered into frame, that we'd start asking questions about the hound.
Two dogs in four interviews this morning. One dog belonged to the other interviewer, one to a candidate. No time wasted on either. The bigger issue is that, in the GTA, few people have internet connections that can sustain voice and image display for a continuous 45 minutes. Lots of time is wasted over rubbish connections.
Old Oct 23rd 2021, 2:25 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

What are thoughts around people who are eating during Zoom meetings with cameras on?
Old Oct 23rd 2021, 12:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
What are thoughts around people who are eating during Zoom meetings with cameras on?
It's usual, if people are in six hours of meetings a day (and also have work to do) they're going to have to eat while working. We interviewed someone this week who dropped, and recovered, a bagel, mid-interview and still ended up going through to the final round. I'm more iffy about people who go for a dump with the camera off but the sound still on (in regular meetings, that's a bit bold for an interview). Working from home means 50/60 hours a week of close contact with your team, of course they're going to see you eat, deal with pets and children and so on, but flushing is disruptive to a meeting.

A trend, btw, that might be controversial here, is that most resumes now say "double-vaxxed".

Last edited by dbd33; Oct 23rd 2021 at 12:35 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2021, 2:27 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I would stop the video feed if I was eating during a meeting and could not postpone the eating until afterwards.
Typically I'll have the camera on, but sound on muted, and either hit spacebar to unmute, or manually unmute when I want to speak. Thus if I needed to be out of camera to call everyone a bunch of ****wits, then it'd be ok

Having your vaccination status, to me, would be a good thing. I know our office requires full vaccination to enter, even if you are "just quickly picking up something", so if someone mentions the vax state on the resume then that aids you in knowing if they needed to come into the office for some reason, they're good to go. It also means one could avoid asking them the question, and possibly getting into why they are not vaccinated if that turned out to be the case.
Old Oct 25th 2021, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Typically when I turn up for an interview I've done some research on the companies products, market fit and competitors. I've also spent some time on LinkedIn to get a handle on organization structure and tenures and Glassdoor for salaries and culture (less reliable these days).

I then having invested an hour researching invest another hour interviewing which more often than not involves me going through a resume the hiring manager hasn't read or even looked at prior. Getting questions on things where the answers are written in simpleton English on the resume.

I've invested time and expertise at my own expense and am then asked to thank them?

It gets worse the further you go when they want you to spend a weekend preparing a 30 minute presentation etc again at your own expense of time.

They're generally tedious hoop jumps that don't really demonstrate the core skills needed in sales and with time you get more frustrated and less patient doing them.

Sending a thank you know when all the time and financial investment is primarily on my side just seems ludicrous.

The good news is Toronto finally has a competitive tech "ecosystem" so one can be a bit more picky.

My recent role they told me they were going to take their time and I pushed back and said if I don't here by next Friday I'm heading back to England. The offer arrived within 24 hours and for the first time in this city I wasn't lowballed. I don't have the patience for Toronto and it's "ecosystem" anymore.

Good for you!! calling their bluff and worked! Honestly this sycophantic behavior thanking employers that call you for an interview is ridiculous when as you say, its the interviewee that puts all the prep work in! I ahve have been at intervierws where they clearly haven't even read my resume! so what work and prep have they put in? none..... and we have to thank them for it!! The last stint I had unemployed really made me aware of how ridiclulous the hiring system is here....maybe its like that in the UK now too aswel.... the world does seemed to have change a lot in the last 10-15 years, and certainly not for the better.

When an employer and prospective employee meet for an interview, it should be 50/50 the employer needs you and you need/want the job, so why bring this sycophantic phoney insincere behaviour into it!

Old Oct 25th 2021, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is ill mannered, there is a time and a place.

I don't like the whole zoom thing for an interview anyway, I am a face to face person in everyway. I hate doing anything online when there is chance to conduct it in person. Maybe I am old fashioned but that is the way I feel most comfortable. My last interview was over teams, I requested an in person interview, but covid restrictions shut that down... luckily I still got the job.
Old Oct 25th 2021, 5:08 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I think that is ill mannered, there is a time and a place.

I don't like the whole zoom thing for an interview anyway, I am a face to face person in everyway. I hate doing anything online when there is chance to conduct it in person. Maybe I am old fashioned but that is the way I feel most comfortable. My last interview was over teams, I requested an in person interview, but covid restrictions shut that down... luckily I still got the job.
There is a time and a place - yes! I was on an interview panel for a manager's position, one applicant suddenly remembered that he hadn't completed a task deadline for his current job. Not something that's usually mentioned while interviewing for a position, but he went further - he opened his laptop and reassigned the task to someone else Needless to say he didn't get the job.
Old Oct 25th 2021, 5:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
There is a time and a place - yes! I was on an interview panel for a manager's position, one applicant suddenly remembered that he hadn't completed a task deadline for his current job. Not something that's usually mentioned while interviewing for a position, but he went further - he opened his laptop and reassigned the task to someone else Needless to say he didn't get the job.
"My greatest strength? I'm very good at delegating. Here...let me show you..."