Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Med Insurance for non-PR - ICT

Med Insurance for non-PR - ICT

Old Oct 27th 2021, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Med Insurance for non-PR - ICT

Hi folks,
I will be moving to Ontario (yet to conclude Toronto or Ottawa) in mid Dec or beginning of Jan 2022.

We are moving from US as InterCompany Transfer for 1 or 2 years. My family comprises my wife (with a medical heart condition which requires checks every 6 months - she will get her check in Nov 2021), a newborn (who will require pediatrician and vaccines) and a dog.

Looking at we won’t be PR I have read the wikis and I am not certain about my case and the 3 months kick-off period or if I will have Ontario public insurance at all (not PR but I will be a tax payer)

My company has the benefit of private health insurance, but not sure if this is truly for dental, ambulance,… or it is normal to provide the part Ontario provides when you are not PR.

I barely visit the doc but I am sure with a newborn we will need at least pediatrician…

Thanks for the guidance!
cheers

Last edited by circusplaza; Oct 27th 2021 at 2:27 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2021, 3:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Med Insurance for non-PR - ICT

Originally Posted by circusplaza
Hi folks,
I will be moving to Ontario (yet to conclude Toronto or Ottawa) in mid Dec or beginning of Jan 2022.

We are moving from US as InterCompany Transfer for 1 or 2 years. My family comprises my wife (with a medical heart condition which requires checks every 6 months - she will get her check in Nov 2021), a newborn (who will require pediatrician and vaccines) and a dog.

Looking at we won’t be PR I have read the wikis and I am not certain about my case and the 3 months kick-off period or if I will have Ontario public insurance at all (not PR but I will be a tax payer)

My company has the benefit of private health insurance, but not sure if this is truly for dental, ambulance,… or it is normal to provide the part Ontario provides when you are not PR.

I barely visit the doc but I am sure with a newborn we will need at least pediatrician…

Thanks for the guidance!
cheers
With a work permit, you will be able to register for OHIP as a temporary foreign worker (as will your family) - ** normally 3 months waiting period but currently there is no waiting period - this may change**, you will need to apply at Service Canada as soon as you have an address. Ensure that your wife and child request Visitor Records on arrival (it's not automatic, you will need to ask for them) - they will need that to show they have 'status' in Canada rather than being just 'visitors' (your wife will need this if she wants to drive in Ontario, if she doesn't have a work permit herself). Your wife may be able to get an open work permit on arrival (on the back of yours), if she wants one - it may be worth getting if she wants to be able to 'come and go' without issues on re-entry.

For the Open Work Permit see: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=177&top=17 (are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker)

For OHIP see: https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publ...p_foreign.aspx (your work permit must be valid for a period exceeding 6 months - not that you have to be working for 6 months before you can apply - you will also need a copy of your contract etc.,)

Private health insurance normally covers medications, and a proportion of dental, optician, physio costs - and a private room in hospital, etc., many insurance companies require you to have Provincial Healthcare as well.. You will need OHIP to see doctors etc., (without having to pay for them yourself - that won't be covered under the private health insurance) -
We usually suggest obtaining temporary health cover for the first 3 months... the wiki has a few companies listed.

As an aside, make sure to get your drivers abstract or other proof of driving experience to exchange your license for an Ontario one - and confirmation from your insurers of no claim to help to reduce the insurance premiums. https://drivetest.ca/licences/licenc..._exchange.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 27th 2021 at 3:43 pm. Reason: edited to add the ** part - thanks bryndog1950 for the reminder!
Old Oct 27th 2021, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

bryndog1950 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't post a link because I don't have enough posts yet, but you should check on the Ontario government website (ontario.ca) in the Health and Wellness section for information about health insurance coverage and how to apply.

You will notice that because of the pandemic, there is currently no waiting period for OHIP coverage. If you are eligible, you will have immediate health insurance coverage.
Old Oct 27th 2021, 3:40 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bryndog1950
I can't post a link because I don't have enough posts yet, but you should check on the Ontario government website (ontario.ca) in the Health and Wellness section for information about health insurance coverage and how to apply.

You will notice that because of the pandemic, there is currently no waiting period for OHIP coverage. If you are eligible, you will have immediate health insurance coverage.
I had forgotten that - thanks for the reminder! I'll change my post to reflect that.. (link to OHIP already given in my response above)
https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/...0/bul4749.aspx

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 27th 2021 at 3:44 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2021, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

As an aside, make sure to get your drivers abstract or other proof of driving experience to exchange your license for an Ontario one - and confirmation from your insurers of no claim to help to reduce the insurance premiums. https://drivetest.ca/licences/licenc..._exchange.html

this is great and pretty complete!!
thanks for the driving advice as well as the ones for my wife and request at the point of entry.

on the driving, we have the US driving license, so hopefully this will suffice.
Old Oct 27th 2021, 4:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by circusplaza
this is great and pretty complete!!
thanks for the driving advice as well as the ones for my wife and request at the point of entry.

on the driving, we have the US driving license, so hopefully this will suffice.
You will need to exchange your drivers license for an Ontario one - you aren't 'visiting'
When you move to Ontario, you can use a valid licence from another province, state or country for 60 days. After 60 days, you need to switch to an Ontario driver’s licence.
Old Oct 27th 2021, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You will need to exchange your drivers license for an Ontario one - you aren't 'visiting'
thanks!!
I got it, I meant to say this will suffice for a exchange…
when we arrived in US we had to pass the driving exam here though, so not having to do this again is great.