Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Internet in the country !!

Internet in the country !!

Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:04 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet in the country !!

Originally Posted by jimmydean
Hi

just been looking online at a bundle package from eastlink.ca @ $119 for NS

High Speed Internet
15mb
Full cable TV Package (including 3 additional TVs in house)

Eastlink Telephone Service

has anybody any experience of this company? and does the price seem ok?

Thanks
Hi JD, Sounds like a good deal to me. We are paying around 200$ a month with Bell.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:02 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
well think we found a solution, a company called explornet...
Take note of post #15

I've found Xplornot's customer service to be pretty useless (my service was cancelled twice without notice due to their admin errors, then I was asked to pay $200 re-connection fees for their mistakes), and I've also been told they had no customer service reps that understood Mac OS (which isn't the case).

Expect to wait on hold for 20 to 30 minutes if you need to put a call into them, and be disconnected at some point - that seems to be commonplace in my experience.

Once you're up an running, I've found the connection reliable, though slow and expensive, when compared to cable. If I had another option, Xplornot certainly wouldn't be a consideration. As it is, they're just about bearable.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Take note of post #15

I've found Xplornot's customer service to be pretty useless (my service was cancelled twice without notice due to their admin errors, then I was asked to pay $200 re-connection fees for their mistakes), and I've also been told they had no customer service reps that understood Mac OS (which isn't the case).

Expect to wait on hold for 20 to 30 minutes if you need to put a call into them, and be disconnected at some point - that seems to be commonplace in my experience.

Once you're up an running, I've found the connection reliable, though slow and expensive, when compared to cable. If I had another option, Xplornot certainly wouldn't be a consideration. As it is, they're just about bearable.
I assume the stick modem uses the same technology and network as my Crackberry, in that case it'll work well in the country so long as the unit is stationary. Someone was here with one of those sticks and it worked fine (supplied by Sprint by roaming on a local service). That'd be my, price independent, choice.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:30 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I assume the stick modem uses the same technology and network as my Crackberry, in that case it'll work well in the country so long as the unit is stationary. Someone was here with one of those sticks and it worked fine (supplied by Sprint by roaming on a local service). That'd be my, price independent, choice.
I investigated the 'stick' options, and no supplier would guarantee service where I live. I've no cell coverage here.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

my brother who lives next door to where we are moving, have a "stick" don't remember who with, Bell maybe..he said it is crap...so we are not going with them....

We are limited in our area, bell has said we can't get satellite internet, not N/A in our area, and forget Rogers N/A in area, KOS only dial up avail...we are finding most have download limits...we do not want a limit
Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

my brother who lives next door to where we are moving, have a "stick" don't remember who with, Bell maybe..he said it is crap...so we are not going with them....

We are limited in our area, bell has said we can't get satellite internet, not N/A in our area, and forget Rogers N/A in area, KOS only dial up avail...we are finding most have download limits...we do not want a limit
We use these people, Eastlink.
http://www.eastlink.ca/central/inter...reas/index.asp
They say they have service in Marmora so that may cover Springbrook too.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Marmora has cable, Springbrook doesn't, but am interested in their tv and phone
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Marmora has cable, Springbrook doesn't, but am interested in their tv and phone
Well at least I tried.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

yes and thank you, it gives us another option then bell for phone, I begrude every penny I have to give them.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

yes and thank you, it gives us another option then bell for phone, I begrude every penny I have to give them.
Is this link any use for possible options....it makes reference to Hastings...is that near you.?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=118148
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:26 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Is this link any use for possible options....it makes reference to Hastings...is that near you.?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=118148
Strangely Hastings is not in Hastings county...its two towns over. Springbrook is in the wilderness, even more off the track than where I live.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Jonny B is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

we had success,

we live in the country, tried three sticks before getting the Bell Mifi,
we've had it one month, (since it came out), and its been brilliant. Upto 5 computers on a wifi hotspot and you can take it anywhere as it has a battery......just check the speed coverage in your area

JB