Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Internet in the country !!

Internet in the country !!

Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet in the country !!

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
I have spoke to many of the companies that you all mentioned. I cannot believe the money they charge for internet that is inferior to what we get here for a tenner a month! How can they justify charging so much?
Compared to Europe, Canada has a small population of consumers spread over a vast land mass. Small markets = little competition; little competition = higher prices. Plus, it costs a lot to make high-speed internet available in rural areas, and there are relatively few customers. I call it the economy of reverse scale.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:16 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Why do we pay so much.........

When compared to the rural US its lack of competition
Bell and Rogers get to charge up to the max the CRTC will let them
Piss all to do with conditions, population or maintenance,

Canada is and will be behind the times in technology for many years to come until the government allows in some “non-Canadian owned” companies to get the competition up , hopefully the issue around mobile phones will help push some barriers back
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with both the last 2 comments, not enough competition and greedy companies...but guess if we had a product that people wanted and no competition we would put the screws to them too.......or would we?

We did speak to xplornet and husband seems to think he wants their max package...he is a heavy downloader...
we did askk about download limit and they said it is within reason, those who pay more obviously get higher limit for longer, she did explain the reducing of bandwidth when getting close to their limits...
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with both the last 2 comments, not enough competition and greedy companies...but guess if we had a product that people wanted and no competition we would put the screws to them too.......or would we?

We did speak to xplornet and husband seems to think he wants their max package...he is a heavy downloader...
we did askk about download limit and they said it is within reason, those who pay more obviously get higher limit for longer, she did explain the reducing of bandwidth when getting close to their limits...
Also watch with Xplornet that there is a lot of insinuation on the 'net, from disgruntled customers, that their service standard dropped coincidentally soon after their initial 30 day no-fee cancellation period was up... I've no personal experience of that, but there was enough talk of it happening to put me off switching from our flakey "microwave" wireless ISP!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:03 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Why do we pay so much.........

When compared to the rural US its lack of competition
Bell and Rogers get to charge up to the max the CRTC will let them
Piss all to do with conditions, population or maintenance,

Canada is and will be behind the times in technology for many years to come until the government allows in some “non-Canadian owned” companies to get the competition up , hopefully the issue around mobile phones will help push some barriers back
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/in...ess-per-capita
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:56 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can be more specific about the area you are moving to I may know peeps at work who live in that area and can then ask them what they do and how much it cost etc.

pm me if you want to keep it quiet!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

lol am not known for being quiet!

We are moving north of Belleville, Springbrook to be exact..
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:24 am
Account Closed

lol am not known for being quiet!

We are moving north of Belleville, Springbrook to be exact..
Thats about 45 mins from me and even closer to Iain.

I'll ask at work, there are some who live in Madoc and Marmora.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in civilization you get high speed internet and cable TV and cell phone coverage and gas and electric and water and............... oh i could go on.
Rural sounds good but in reality has many drawbacks i suppose.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

rural has disadvantages no doubt about it, but no sirens going off all the time, no screaming kids on street corners, no traffic, don't have to isten to neighbours loud music, no street lights shining in on me when I am trying sleep!
It will sound silly but I miss the summer noises of the country....at night the frogs in the crick close to house, the tree toads in summer, crickets....
have lived in country near most my life, so I know what I am getting into ....
Old Jan 8th 2010, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

rural has disadvantages no doubt about it, but no sirens going off all the time, no screaming kids on street corners, no traffic, don't have to isten to neighbours loud music, no street lights shining in on me when I am trying sleep!
It will sound silly but I miss the summer noises of the country....at night the frogs in the crick close to house, the tree toads in summer, crickets....
have lived in country near most my life, so I know what I am getting into ....
Apparently you can use those stick things to get highspeed internet and it's all fine and hunky dory.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

And NO internet.....................
Old Jan 8th 2010, 2:47 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

but no sirens going off all the time, no screaming kids on street corners, no traffic, don't have to isten to neighbours loud music, no street lights shining in on me when I am trying sleep!
I live in the city and have none of these things either, unless you count the view over the CN tower and downtown Toronto.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 2:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't what you all expect living in the arsehole of nowhere. No one lives there for a reason, its crap.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:29 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Try these people:

http://www.teksavvy.com/en/unl_dslcheck.asp?ID=7&mID=1

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Jan 8th 2010 at 3:33 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.