Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

International Shipping Question

International Shipping Question

Old Nov 2nd 2010, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Rich_London is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International Shipping Question

Hi all, has anyone got any experience shipping things over to Canada after they have moved? I want to pack everything up in advance, leave it in storage here and then, if everything works out get a shipping company to go pick it up and ship it... If you catch my drift i dont want some removal monkey stuffing things in boxes as i assume it will all arrive in bits!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Shipping Question

Originally Posted by Rich_London
Hi all, has anyone got any experience shipping things over to Canada after they have moved? I want to pack everything up in advance, leave it in storage here and then, if everything works out get a shipping company to go pick it up and ship it... If you catch my drift i dont want some removal monkey stuffing things in boxes as i assume it will all arrive in bits!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
I would imagine everyone on here has experience of shipping things to Canada after they moved.

You may want to check to see if you self pack, that the insurance if you take it is valid. Most of the 'removal monkeys' as you put it are pretty good at their job, usually way better than many homeowner monkeys. Not sure what you base your assumptions on though, past experience?
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Wow, that was so helpful....

Good job 99% of the people on here reply to questions in attempt to be useful and friendly, i wish the 1% like you would find somewhere else to dole out your pearls of "wisdom".

If you work as a removal man i apologise, perhaps monkey was a bit controversial.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:15 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If you work as a removal man i apologise, perhaps monkey was a bit controversial.
No I don't and it was more ignorant than controversial.

Last edited by Aviator; Nov 3rd 2010 at 1:20 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Oh sorry yes you're a bus driver...

Does it make you feel better coming on here and giving people grief? Does it make your life seem somehow more purposeful? I hope there is more to my life when i retire...

This forum is for people to share helpful information relating to moving to Canada, if you haven't got anything useful to say then why bother? Can't you go find another hobby? Perhaps find a grumpy old tw@ts forum where you and the other bus drivers can just moan about the world all day?

I tell you what, in the spirit of this forum i'll have a look around and see if i can find such a place... i like to be helpful
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 3:21 pm

Oh sorry yes you're a bus driver...

I tell you what, in the spirit of this forum i'll have a look around and see if i can find such a place... i like to be helpful
Your apology is accepted. Gotta go, off flying though the mountains for a few hours as it is a nice sunny day. Oh and thanks for looking for another forum, I go on this one where I can chat with former colleagues http://www.pprune.org/ Lots of gossip goes on there.

Last edited by Aviator; Nov 3rd 2010 at 3:37 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

as much as this tit for tat seems enjoyable to all involved, i might hazard a response to the subject matter.....

removal monkies are not likely to smash your belongings up. they are very careful, considerate and professional individuals. but also, because their company will ultimately charge on the basis of volume, you will find that your consignment will be made up more of packaging, padding and wrapping, than actual possessions.

for this conflict of interest, i packed my own stuff up and wouldn't you just know it.... everything showed up intact.

of course this meant insurance would cost a pretty penny, but this too is another industry wide scam. afterall, insurance is only useful to the consumer in the unfortunate event of making a claim. with the international shipping process being so convoluted and involving of so many different and distinct parties, good luck finding those responsible for any failing should things not arrive as you might hope.

incidentally, do not use Simpsons UK
Old Nov 4th 2010, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

We have done both. when we moved to Canada we had dorree bonner had lots broken and couldn't find anything for weeks. On the way back we did it ourselves, we were extremely careful spent money on good quality packing products we bought second had boxes and saved a bundle; I kept a complete and accurate record of every item in every box. Easy as.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

kirkio is an unknown quantity at this point

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
There are loads of removals companies out there, it maybe cheaper to get a removals company to pack your stuff into a container when you have boxed it up and store it in a warehouse rather than use a self store.

Depeneding on how much you value your stuff that will dictate how long it is worth storing it for, I know I looked at the same option and it was cheaper to ship and use rather than store and buy new...

I hear that EVL are supposed to be good...

I share and agree with your removal monkey comment I have personal experience http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692232

Good luck!