Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Interested in relocating to Nova Scotia from Okotoks Alberta

Interested in relocating to Nova Scotia from Okotoks Alberta

Old May 1st 2011, 1:04 pm
Happy Helper

Buddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Interested in relocating to Nova Scotia from Okotoks Alberta

This is not the main theme of this thread but it is related. So, the public debt in Nova Scotia currently stands at $13.01 billion. $130 million is a drop in the bucket and would hardly pay off the debt. It is, though, a step in the right direction. For some background: http://www.gov.ns.ca/news/details.asp?id=20080429004

Bear in mind that our population is less than one million people. Each Nova Scotian owes $13,072 in federal and provincial debt alone, one of the highest per capita debts of all the provinces and territories. In comparison, British per capita government debt is currently reported to be around $23,182. I know where I would rather be.
Old May 1st 2011, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buddyboy
Bear in mind that our population is less than one million people. Each Nova Scotian owes $13,072 in federal and provincial debt alone, one of the highest per capita debts of all the provinces and territories.
No wonder the tax in NS is so high!
Old May 4th 2011, 12:28 am
Just Joined

wilderness pete is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buddyboy
There may have been a provincial budgetary surplus last year, as described, but that was likely a one off aberration. The province, like others, has a huge public debt that will take decades to pay down, if ever. Having said that, you won't find a better place to live and raise a family. The people are amazingly friendly. If you can settle here as a Brit, you will have it made.
Industrial or residential electrician?

Jobs are available and rates are rising, but taxes are high.
Winters are lighter than most. Halifax ok, as are a few other places but as always depends on what you want.

Loads of trees and lakes, so a house on a lake for $150k is not difficult.

Hardest thing to get in Nova Scotia is a decision, but if you lead well you can achieve most of the time.

June and Mark Spindloe, the oracles of relocation Nova Scotia can answer any questions, nothing seems to stump them.
Old May 4th 2011, 4:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amardan
We have been living in Alberta now for nearly 3 years and have enjoyed some of it, but now more and more we are thinking that maybe we have settled in the wrong province as there is such a lot we miss and we have always wanted to live by the sea. We went to Kelowna last year and fell in love with it but unfortunately found it too expensive, but it did make us think.
Well Kelowna is several hundred km inland, so I don't understand that comment. If you merely want to live near a body of water, it would be simpler to move to Chestermere or Red Deer. (Or Lethbridge or Medicine Hat in spring when it floods. )
Old May 4th 2011, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well Kelowna is several hundred km inland, so I don't understand that comment. If you merely want to live near a body of water, it would be simpler to move to Chestermere or Red Deer. (Or Lethbridge or Medicine Hat in spring when it floods. )
It is not just a body of water there are many factors and Kelowna just put things into prospective for us that maybe we are not truly settled in the province we are currently living. I really do appreciate all the advice and helpful tips people have generously given. Now I think it is a case for us to research and look into it more deeply before making a rash decision, as we both have jobs, children who are settled in their school etc.
Old May 4th 2011, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Amarden,

I know exactly how you feel, I think personally I have tried to like Calgary rather than actually liking it, as you know I have looked at certain career paths but the thought of staying here just doesn't weigh up for me.

Luckily a poster on here has alerted me to a job possibility in NS, which career wise seems right up my street. I will be flying across later in the month to check it out, if there is anything I can do for you whilst I am there let me know.

Gary