Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Barrie Ontario with kids

Barrie Ontario with kids

Old May 2nd 2011, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice
Default Barrie Ontario with kids

Hi. We are seriously thinking of moving to Barrie Ontario in the next few months. We are currently in interior BC. We have two young children (4 and 1) and I have completely enjoyed the experience of raising children in a small (pop 3500) town--there is lots to do and of course we know everyone with small children, so a walk to the ice cream store is a huge social event for me and the kids. But we are looking for more--largely work opportunities but also more school options etc. Hence the move.

So my question is for any moms with small kids who are in the Barrie area. How have you found your experience? This is vague I know, but I am trying to get a feel for what the community is like. Do you get together with other parents and go to your local park? Do your children have friends and can they pop over and play in their yard? If you throw a birthday party, do lots of kids come, parents help out, and there is fun for all? Or do you find it largely an isolating experience? I know it depends on how much one is willing to try and reach out, but having never had kids in a bigger city, I am not sure what to expect.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:23 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barrie Ontario with kids

Have you researched what part of Barrie you'd like to live? If you have specifics I can shed a bit of light for you. As everywhere there are good and bad spots. Personally, I can't stand going downtown and I avoid Bayfield Street like the plague. Other than that I have no problem with the area. For us the city works just fine.
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

chriskatie is an unknown quantity at this point

The lakeside is lovely and there are two or three small parks around it that are popular with families with young children. Each sub division seems to have its own park too and they always look well maintained, clean and tidy. We have a place in the South East corner of the City and although we only spend a couple of months a year there at the moment (Until the Visa's come through ) we have a great group of friends there who all have kids that play together. The local elementary school (forget its name but its on Sandringham) is also quite highly rated too I understand.

The SE end of town has the new sub-divisions and seems to have attracted alot of newbies from the GTA in search of 'more for their money' which I think helps people make freinds as a lot are in the same boat being new to the area.

Downtown does need some work but I think they are making strides and I agree Bayfield can be a pain in the a**se with the traffic but if you want to go to the Mall you've got little option.
Old May 3rd 2011, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

Thanks for your replies. I admit I don't know much about Barrie, but we did have a look last year and it seemed fine. Even the down town seemed nice, but I was there very briefly. I guess it is to be expected that any city in Canada has an eroded downtown and people shop largely at malls. My idea of a nightmare, but there is little I can do about it. The only major refurbishment of a downtown I have seen is Waterloo, which has totally transformed itself from junk stores to busy upmarket shopping.

I have no idea where we will live--our plan is to rent for a year and see what will work for us before we buy. I was thinking of the south side as we are planning on sending the children to the Kempenfelt Bay school, so I thought it would be good to live nearish it (although it seems in the middle of an industrial park, so living very near the school won't be possible.)

I guess I am trying to get a feel because I have had such a good time with my children in this small town and worry about being isolated in a larger centre.
Old May 3rd 2011, 8:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
I guess it is to be expected that any city in Canada has an eroded downtown and people shop largely at malls.
I don't think that holds on either score. Lots of places have active central areas, Collingwood, Guelph, Brampton, would be examples reasonably near Barrie. I don't have occasion to go to malls so I'm not really sure what's in them but I'd think people largely shop at big box stores, supermarkets or Costco rather than malls.
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:21 pm

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Also the Georgian Mall in Barrie is quite crap really. If I want to go to a mall, I slip down to Vaughn Mills which is 30 mins door to door. Much, much better.
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by chriskatie
I agree Bayfield can be a pain in the a**se with the traffic but if you want to go to the Mall you've got little option.
Take Ann Street. I haven't driven on Bayfield Street for 3 years. It kills me.
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Northernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
I have no idea where we will live--our plan is to rent for a year and see what will work for us before we buy. I was thinking of the south side as we are planning on sending the children to the Kempenfelt Bay school, so I thought it would be good to live nearish it (although it seems in the middle of an industrial park, so living very near the school won't be possible.)
If you haven't already check out Simcoe county school board..http://www.scdsb.on.ca/
it will tell you what the catchment area is for Kempenfelt Bay school.
Barrie is Barrie...good bits +bad bits as most cities/large towns have. Most people do avoid downtown after dark! Its main advantage is its location...making getting to places easy.
We've been here since last July and have settled in really well. We're over near Little Lake end of Barrie and have brilliant neighbours and friends. Kids have settled in really well...11 yr old has many friends who are constantly knocking on the door for her to come over and play (to be fair most kids did hibernate over winter!!)....she's also pulling in high grades at elementary! Eldest (19) has done brilliantly at Georgian College winning 2 scholarships for her work which has resulted in an unconditional offer with scholarship at Carlton Uni in Ottawa!
It is possible to live in Barrie, have a healthy social life and achieve quals to a high standard...I simply chose to ignore those who slated the town and went for what I felt was best for us
Old May 4th 2011, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Northernlass for your reply. Good to hear about your kids settling in and doing well. We are choosing Barrie because it is out of the "Golden Triangle" of the south of the province (way too busy for us) but still south enough to not have the looooong winters of the north. Also the hospital is brand new and growing, so lots of opportunities (husband in the medical field).

I forgot about the big box stores. We don't have any where we live and so I was thinking of the days of mall shopping, but of course big box stores have taken over malls.

I guess I should have looked more closely at the down town last time I was there but we had little time and two tired children in the car. We are going again in June so will have a good luck, but we have more or less committed to going so there isn't much that can change my mind now!
Old May 4th 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

chriskatie is an unknown quantity at this point

"I forgot about the big box stores. We don't have any where we live and so I was thinking of the days of mall shopping, but of course big box stores have taken over malls".

This place is currently under construction in the South end http://www.parkplacebarrie.com/. I think they call it a Lifestyle Centre.!
Old May 4th 2011, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

This place is currently under construction in the South end http://www.parkplacebarrie.com/. I think they call it a Lifestyle Centre.![/QUOTE]

Wow. Nothing kills a downtown better than something like this, but I guess we all have to shop somewhere--I try to avoid it at all costs, but one does have to get things occasionally.

One thing I am going to miss big time here in our small town is the wonderful locally owned grocery store. They stock everything you can think of and it is a short walk away, with great staff. We pretty well go every day to do our marketing, instead of a major shop at some mega store where you have to hike miles between items, lugging a huge cart, then cross a huge car park to load everything into your car. I will miss our grocery store most of all! But sacrifices have to be made....
Old May 4th 2011, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Northernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant futureNorthernlass1 has a brilliant future

Farmers market every Saturday morning come rain or shine or snow...it's downtown by the library..should provide you with good choice of fresh produce
Old May 4th 2011, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Walsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Northernlass1
Farmers market every Saturday morning come rain or shine or snow...it's downtown by the library..should provide you with good choice of fresh produce
Good to know!
Old May 4th 2011, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

thanks really good to know!!! thanks for the info