Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Insurance Recommendations

Insurance Recommendations

Old Aug 5th 2020, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insurance Recommendations

Hi,

As you all know, my family and I are flying out to Ontario this Friday. I'm looking to get insurance before our OHIP kicks in. I have noted companies such as BLUE CROSS ONTARIO and CIGNA, but am wondering where people have purchased their temporary insurance.

Many thanks,

Seeker
Old Aug 5th 2020, 9:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance Recommendations

Originally Posted by i_Seeker
Hi,

As you all know, my family and I are flying out to Ontario this Friday. I'm looking to get insurance before our OHIP kicks in. I have noted companies such as BLUE CROSS ONTARIO and CIGNA, but am wondering where people have purchased their temporary insurance.

Many thanks,

Seeker
The 3 month waiting period for OHIP is currently waived, so you're covered from when you arrive - https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-oh...card#section-3

But for others searching in the future, this Wiki article has various companies that others have used - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medic...edicare_starts

HTH.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The 3 month waiting period for OHIP is currently waived, so you're covered from when you arrive - https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-oh...card#section-3

But for others searching in the future, this Wiki article has various companies that others have used - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medic...edicare_starts

HTH.
Thank you for your quick reply!

OBVIOUS QUESTION: So does this mean that I am not required to take out any insurance, and just apply to OHIP when I get to ONTARIO on Friday?
Old Aug 6th 2020, 10:15 am
Just Joined

northeastcanuck is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be interested to know the answer to this as well, my daughter is moving to Ontario in a couple of weeks to take up a job there, she is a Canadian citizen. I see that the 3 month residency requirement is waived which is great, but am not sure how to manage the situation where she has to quarantine and therefore cannot go to a service centre to apply for OHIP for 2 weeks. There is a phone number to call on the website which I will do but it's not opening hours in Ontario yet. Obviously I want to make sure she is covered for the 2 weeks she is isolating in case something were to happen and she needed medical attention. I was just wondering how others have managed this?
Old Aug 6th 2020, 10:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northeastcanuck
I would be interested to know the answer to this as well, my daughter is moving to Ontario in a couple of weeks to take up a job there, she is a Canadian citizen. I see that the 3 month residency requirement is waived which is great, but am not sure how to manage the situation where she has to quarantine and therefore cannot go to a service centre to apply for OHIP for 2 weeks. There is a phone number to call on the website which I will do but it's not opening hours in Ontario yet. Obviously I want to make sure she is covered for the 2 weeks she is isolating in case something were to happen and she needed medical attention. I was just wondering how others have managed this?
From the link above "If you are self-isolating and cannot go to ServiceOntario to register for coverage, please contact ServiceOntario INFOline at 1-866-532-3161". So she should phone that number as soon as she arrives.

HTH, and welcome to BE.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 10:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by i_Seeker
Thank you for your quick reply!

OBVIOUS QUESTION: So does this mean that I am not required to take out any insurance, and just apply to OHIP when I get to ONTARIO on Friday?
Yep. Good luck with the move.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Thank you!

I'll keep you posted.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 11:48 am
Just Joined

OK Thanks, I didn't realize it was as simple as that!

Thanks for the welcome as well. I'm actually not entirely new - I was active around 11 years ago when we briefly moved to Vancouver but have been back in the UK for 9 years now - But my old login is lost...

Next job - sorting out a mobile phone contract. That's a whole other thread I'm sure!
Old Aug 6th 2020, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northeastcanuck
Next job - sorting out a mobile phone contract. That's a whole other thread I'm sure!
Do you need a contract? If you have your own unlocked handset (or buy one), very easy to get a pay as you go. I have done this for the last 2 plus years. I use Kodoo with sensible monthly data and unlimited Canada wide calling for $35 a month.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, no she doesn't need a contract, wrong choice of words! Definitely a prepaid one, coincidentally I have just been looking at Koodo now and it looks like a great option, thanks for the recommend!

And sorry for the thread creep.