Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Insurance payout

Insurance payout

Old Aug 2nd 2019, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Instantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insurance payout

Hello all,

my my partner had an accident late last year. The other driver rear ended my partner. The other driver admitted his fault and our insurance paid for the physiotherapy and My partner was diagnosed with whiplash and minor pains. She has so far made good recovery and doesn’t require further treatment from the physio.
The other drivers insurance company is offering $5000 as compensation and said that is the maximum allowed in Alberta. She was given a form to sign to say once she receives the $5k that will be it and other recourse to the insurance company or the other driver liability. Not sure if she should accept the payout. Also we don’t know what the rules are in ALBERTA. Any information, opinions or thoughts are welcomed.
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance payout

I have heard that Alberta does cap injury claims, which is why insurance rates there are much lower than in BC, but I don't know the specifics. It might be worth sitting down with a lawyer, you can also try https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvicecanada/ on Reddit.
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 10:29 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Instantpot
Hello all,

my my partner had an accident late last year. The other driver rear ended my partner. The other driver admitted his fault and our insurance paid for the physiotherapy and My partner was diagnosed with whiplash and minor pains. She has so far made good recovery and doesn’t require further treatment from the physio.
The other drivers insurance company is offering $5000 as compensation and said that is the maximum allowed in Alberta. She was given a form to sign to say once she receives the $5k that will be it and other recourse to the insurance company or the other driver liability. Not sure if she should accept the payout. Also we don’t know what the rules are in ALBERTA. Any information, opinions or thoughts are welcomed.
ok this I have some knowledge of! You have two years from the offer to accept the payment so don't panic! I was rear ended April 2018, WAP 2 diag. I got an offer of $8k I have had some ongoing issues. After getting the offer, I spoke to a customer who is a lawyer and asked if it was worth seeing a accident injury guy, low and behold he is an accident injury guy. I met with him and discussed the situation, told him the offer amount and he decided that it was worthwhile taking my case. Now I have had to have some Neuro testing done, extra documentation etc and it's a long drawn out process, we are hoping to finally settle by Christmas.

So to that end, it's probably worth talking to a injury lawyer, I can recommend if you would like (depending where you are). They will tell you either yes or no to wether it's worth the extra faffing around, and there is some serious faffing.

My poor little car ended up a bit shorter than it should have been.

Old Aug 3rd 2019, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Instantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
ok this I have some knowledge of! You have two years from the offer to accept the payment so don't panic! I was rear ended April 2018, WAP 2 diag. I got an offer of $8k I have had some ongoing issues. After getting the offer, I spoke to a customer who is a lawyer and asked if it was worth seeing a accident injury guy, low and behold he is an accident injury guy. I met with him and discussed the situation, told him the offer amount and he decided that it was worthwhile taking my case. Now I have had to have some Neuro testing done, extra documentation etc and it's a long drawn out process, we are hoping to finally settle by Christmas.

So to that end, it's probably worth talking to a injury lawyer, I can recommend if you would like (depending where you are). They will tell you either yes or no to wether it's worth the extra faffing around, and there is some serious faffing.

thanks. I will like to get the details.
Old Aug 3rd 2019, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Instantpot
Hello all,

https://camllp.com/2019/01/03/2019-a...cap-announced/

provides some background and context in Alberta’s CSL for soft issue claims
Old Aug 4th 2019, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad

https://camllp.com/2019/01/03/2019-a...cap-announced/

provides some background and context in Alberta’s CSL for soft issue claims
thank you
Old Aug 4th 2019, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff

What you have said regarding the two year period is not correct. The limitation period for such things is 2 years from the date of the accident, not from the date of the offer.

To the OP, I suggest you speak to a personal injury lawyer before making a decision.