Reload this Page >

Getting work in Canada before arriving on IEC

Getting work in Canada before arriving on IEC

Old Aug 4th 2019, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

mb1992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Getting work in Canada before arriving on IEC

Hello,

Me and my partner are planning to come to Canada in May with IEC permits (which we have been approved for). I am planning to work as a web developer and I am hoping to secure a job before I arrive. I have some questions that I am confused about.

Can I apply for jobs on the Job Bank without a SIN card? Or is this only for people already in Canada?
Is it reasonable to expect to get a job before arriving in Canada?
Does anyone have any recommendations for places that are good for tech jobs and are also affordable to rent in?
We would like to stay in Canada long term, should I say this to potential employers?

Thank you
Old Aug 4th 2019, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting work in Canada before arriving on IEC

I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect to get a job before you arrive unfortunately. Yes - you have a permit to work, but from any company’s point of view, it’s risky offering a job before you arrive in the area, never mind country. Anything could happen before you start, no matter how good your intentions and how valid your ability to work.
Old Aug 4th 2019, 7:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You can certainly apply for jobs via Job Bank, but realistically the chances of finding a job from abroad are very, very slim. Have a look at the Job Hunting section of the Wiki to understand how the hiring culture in Canada works.

Good luck.
Old Aug 4th 2019, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

hg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond repute

It's perfectly easy, simple, normal, unremarkable etc to get a job before coming over on a working holiday...if you're heading into one of the 'traditional' WH jobs. Running ski lifts, say, or cleaning hotel rooms in Banff, that kind of thing - where there's a constant labour shortage due to low wages and the hirers are used to dealing with gap year kids. More professional jobs you'd be looking at responses, if you get them, more along the lines of - 'sounds good, come see us once you've over here and have all your paperwork in order'. Of course it's not impossible, but definitely not likely.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Usmaan.W is just really niceUsmaan.W is just really niceUsmaan.W is just really niceUsmaan.W is just really niceUsmaan.W is just really niceUsmaan.W is just really niceUsmaan.W is just really niceUsmaan.W is just really nice

Hey, I work in IT too!

I'm heading out in January and have been asking this same question. From what I know it's difficult to get a professional job beforehand due to the reasons mentioned above. But a month or so before arriving I plan to get a call divert service which would allow me to have telephone interviews beforehand and line up face to face interviews for as soon as I arrive.

Also, don't forget to change your CV to a resume and have a look at industry trends and recognised certifications that would help you stand out from the competition.

Regards,

Uzzy
Old Aug 6th 2019, 4:28 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that you don't have the right to work in Canada until such time as you arrive in Canada and receive your work permit... the Letter of Introduction (LOI) is just that - you won't get the work permit until you arrive and you can be turned down if you don't meet the conditions at the time of arrival (insurance and proof of funds).. so when asked you can't say you do. Most employers won't have a clue what an IEC working holiday work permit is.

Do have a read over our very helpful 'job hunting' section of the wiki. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Hunting-Canada