Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

insurance with 2 demerit points and car accident

insurance with 2 demerit points and car accident

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:31 am
and the cat too

JulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud of
Default insurance with 2 demerit points and car accident

Looking to get our first canadian car and trying to get over the shock of some insurance quotes

Hubby had car accident in a hire car in June. Police turned up and gave him ticket for a unsafe move. He paid the fine and got 2 demerit points.

The insurance quotes we have got now are pretty bad. We tried Johnson.ca hoping our good UK driving records would help but they class us as high risk too.

But my question is when will the premiums get better?

Do we swallow the costs for a couple of years knowing the premiums will go down?

Any info would be appreciated.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: insurance with 2 demerit points and car accident

Originally Posted by JulieandDave
Looking to get our first canadian car and trying to get over the shock of some insurance quotes

Hubby had car accident in a hire car in June. Police turned up and gave him ticket for a unsafe move. He paid the fine and got 2 demerit points.

The insurance quotes we have got now are pretty bad. We tried Johnson.ca hoping our good UK driving records would help but they class us as high risk too.

Do we swallow the costs for a couple of years knowing the premiums will go down?

It is what it is I am afraid. Premiums go down over time? I wish you luck with that....
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 12:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

My premiums never go down. Last years was, iirc, around $3,000. This year's is $5,372. A good rule of thumb is that when the cost of one year's coverage exceeds the value of the car it's time for a new car.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 12:20 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
My premiums never go down. Last years was, iirc, around $3,000. This year's is $5,372. A good rule of thumb is that when the cost of one year's coverage exceeds the value of the car it's time for a new car.
How long till there's an Audi TTS Roadster outside?
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 12:22 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

My Insurance Broker laughed when I asked when do the premiums go down - she could not believe they do that in the UK....it doesn't work like that in Canada....
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
How long till there's an Audi TTS Roadster outside?
The type of car makes very little difference to the premiums here so we may as well have an interesting car we can't afford to insure as a boring one we can't afford to insure. Two years and three weeks is my guess.

On edit: these numbers are artifically low, please note, location does matter to premiums and I haven't yet told the insurer that the car isn't a rural resident.

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 2nd 2010 at 12:27 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 9:27 pm
and the cat too

JulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud of

Ok so we have managed after alot of ringing around to get the insurance down to $4800. Which is better than the $7000 ones we got at first

Pick the car up tomorrow, if hubby has another accident I may shoot him or remove him from the insurance, not sure which at the moment

Thanks for the info.

......hope I don't have an accident now as we will be really buggered.....
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Our first insurance quote in 2004 after we arrived was around $7000. We contacted a broker who got us something at around $2000 and six years later we are paying around $1100 so our experience has been for the insurance to have gone down.

No claims made during that time, no speeding tickets and very average slightly older vehicles. Nothing at all fancy. Oh and I'm nearly fifty so lots of variables there.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:35 am
Just Joined

the_big_v is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so we have managed after alot of ringing around to get the insurance down to $4800. Which is better than the $7000 ones we got at first

Pick the car up tomorrow, if hubby has another accident I may shoot him or remove him from the insurance, not sure which at the moment

Thanks for the info.

......hope I don't have an accident now as we will be really buggered.....
Remove him from the insurance first though. Doing so when he's dead is really tough when they can't get a signature.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Auto insurance in Canada is one legalized scam! I have been driving in Alberta since 1998, am in my mid-50s, and my insurance still costs north of $1200 per annum for a 2007 Mustang V6 and a 1996 Dodge Caravan -- 800 pounds Sterling -- outrageous! But then if you saw how a large minority of Albertans drive; particularly middle-aged, white males wearing ballcaps at the wheel of their oversized trucks (why, oh why do drink-driving fatalities always seem to involve at least one of these cretins) --then you can begin to understand why the insurance rates are the way they are!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:09 pm
and the cat too

Originally Posted by the_big_v
Remove him from the insurance first though. Doing so when he's dead is really tough when they can't get a signature.
Very good point, I will take your advice should the need arise
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Auto insurance in Canada is one legalized scam! I have been driving in Alberta since 1998, am in my mid-50s, and my insurance still costs north of $1200 per annum for a 2007 Mustang V6 and a 1996 Dodge Caravan -- 800 pounds Sterling -- outrageous! But then if you saw how a large minority of Albertans drive; particularly middle-aged, white males wearing ballcaps at the wheel of their oversized trucks (why, oh why do drink-driving fatalities always seem to involve at least one of these cretins) --then you can begin to understand why the insurance rates are the way they are!
What you have just said demonstrates why the English style take into account vehicle, information about driver, etc. insurance premium rating is so superior to the Canadian "treat 'em all the same" system. I am sure all Smartcar drivers will agree, all those rig working, truck drivers won`t.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you. When I tried to explain to our broker that we had full no-claims bonus in the UK, you would have thought I was trying to explain quantum-theory to her. It would seem that a large number of those idiot truck drivers also seem to believe that insurance rules are only for others (they are probably the same people who lament not having tenant insurance when their condo/apartment goes in flames -- need the cash for cigs and beer!). So if they are not paying, then you, me and every other sane and legal motorist has to pick-up the tab, I suppose.