Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Insufferable Canada

Wikiposts

Insufferable Canada

Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:19 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insufferable Canada

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Pardon??
Do I need to read back???
Did I make a mistake???
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Looks like I did!!
Ok I apologise for saying UK Common Law in a previous post!!!
Will you forgive me Mr Souvenir Sir???
Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:30 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
In suggesting that wintering in Forida vs. Arizona is a significant cutural difference you've given me a new phrase to summarize Canadian parochialism. Thanks for that.
The Quebeckers manage to continue to live almost exclusively in French in a very small part of Florida (Hollywood) whereas, the Albertans are spread out all over the SW and speak English. The Albertans are accepted by the locals, whereas the French Quebeckers are treated as outcasts in Florida.

http://www.sptimes.com/News/020901/S...el_chill.shtml

http://www.globeinvestor.com/servlet...209/1202097575

It may be parochial, but this also makes the two (Quebec vs Alberta) more different and separate.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 13th 2006 at 3:40 am.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:35 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like I did!!
Ok I apologise for saying UK Common Law in a previous post!!!
Will you forgive me Mr Souvenir Sir???
No need. You mentioned English law, which is correct. Others before you had been referring to UK law (I don't think such a thing exists, except perhaps in criminal matters).

Countries that have legal systems based on the British model, base their systems on English law, not Scottish law.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
The official language in Quebec is French. In Texas the official language is English.
Nonetheless, biligualism is a major feature of life. I think the need to speak two languages is a bigger cultural influence than the languages themselves.

Texas has the death penalty, Quebec does not. A first time crime regarding fraud can get you 20 + years in prison in Texas, which in Quebec (or anywhere else in Canada) you would get little more than a slap on the wrist - you might not even have to serve any time in prison!
Quebec doesn't have jurisdiction over these matters. We don't know what the laws would be if it did. That, however, is a difference, the whole matter of state's rights vs provinicial jurisdiction.

Texas is very conservative: more religious than most Quebeckers (or Canadians), against gay marriage, more pro-life, harder on crime (pro death penalty), pro National Rifle Assoc. - just for starter. Quebeckers favor gay marriage, a woman's right to choose, and the Young Offenders Act (easy on crime), and want strong gun laws. Quebec is very different from Texas.
You're talking about Montreal. Rural Quebec, like rural anywhere else, is extremely conservative. Drive along the St. Lawrence, shiny well maintained churches and cathedrals everywhere. The fellow seems to be popular in Quebec :

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canadavotes2...hur060124.html

would you accept him as representing the popular view from there ?

Actually, US dollars do not generally work at businesses in Canada! If you have US dollars you often have to go to a bank and get Canadian dollars.
I dispute this but, since plastic is the more common medium of exchange, it's not a major factor.

Come now, there is no customs union between Canada and the US, unlike France and the UK.
Well that's staggeringly arcane. What difference does that make to everyday life ?

Quebec is very inward looking and opposed to military involvement beyond peacekeeping. Texas is very pro neoconservative (pro-Bush) military adventurism.
A few paragraphs back Texas was conservative, now it's supportive of military adventurism ? I don't think they're compatible.

I think Texas is very pro-military spending, the economy depends to a large degree on the feds (defense spending, space exploration) but I don't think the public there cares very much about the rest of the world. People in Quebec are aware there's a monde beyond North America as they have ties with foreign countries through a common language but I don't think people in Texas are particularly aware of anywhere beyond the US and Mexico. I bet your average toothless cajun doesn't even know that you can't shoot the fender in Canada.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It may be parochial, but this also makes the two (Quebec vs Alberta) more different and separate.
It seems to me that, if the difference between two places is that a minority of people from one stick together on vacation, while there's no similar minority from the other, then these places are more similar than they are different. It's hardly Wall Street brokers vs. nomadic herders.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:00 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Quebec doesn't have jurisdiction over these matters. We don't know what the laws would be if it did. That, however, is a difference, the whole matter of state's rights vs provinicial jurisdiction.
LOL!!! Just what province has supplied most of the Prime Ministers during the last 50 years?

Technically, you are correct that "Quebec" doesn't have jurisdiction over the criminal laws, but in practice you are quite wrong. This because Quebeckers have had more power/influence over the Federal Government of Canada than any other province by far.

A Canadian Prime Minister is essentially an elected politician with near dictatorial power - save for the jurisdiction of the courts. A Canadian PM is far more powerful in Canada than a President is within the US - that's another enormous difference.

You're talking about Montreal. Rural Quebec, like rural anywhere else, is extremely conservative. Drive along the St. Lawrence, shiny well maintained churches and cathedrals everywhere. The fellow seems to be popular in Quebec
No, I wasn't only talking about Montreal. I was referring to the Province of Quebec as a whole. Sure it has some conservative pockets, but on the whole, it's one of Canada's most liberal provinces.

I dispute this but, since plastic is the more common medium of exchange, it's not a major factor.
That's a non sequitur since your statement doesn't support your argument. When an American (US dollar bank account) uses his credit card at a business in Canada, the charge is made in Canadian dollars. Then it is converted (at the relevant rate of exchange) into US dollars and charged to his credit card account. The point is the business in Canada is paid in Canadian dollars - not US $.

A few paragraphs back Texas was conservative, now it's supportive of military adventurism ? I don't think they're compatible.
Texas is socially conservative, but neoconservative (there is a difference between the two) with respect to foreign policy. Bush and his gang are neoconservative. Huge budget deficits are hardly conservative, but they are very neoconservative.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 13th 2006 at 4:03 am.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:06 am
mañana is my busiest day

Well that's staggeringly arcane. What difference does that make to everyday life ?
Have you never heard of the softwood lumber dispute????
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

LOL!!! Just what province has supplied most of the Prime Ministers during the last 50 years?

Technically, you are correct that "Quebec" doesn't have jurisdiction over the criminal laws, but in practice you are quite wrong. This because Quebeckers have had more power/influence over the Federal Government of Canada than any other province by far.
I thought elections were decided in Ontario. It's only when you get out past Detroit that votes, usually, don't matter.

If, however, we accept the idea that Quebec has made the laws for Canada for the past fifty years and we know that the rest of the provinces have not strenuously objected, then doesn't that say that the rest of Canada generally agrees with Quebec? Wouldn't that be because the rest of Canada isn't very different from Quebec?
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:08 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Ever heard of the french banning UK meat?
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

Heard of it, yes. Affected by it, no. In any case, France and the UK continue to have trade disputes, acceptable banana curvature was one hotly debated issue. Cultural considerations, such as the way one takes one's banana, continue to govern behavior regardless of taxation treaties.

In examining the broad sweep of popular culture we may as well look at the acceptable wording of hire purchase agreements as tariff arrangements with neighbouring states.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:18 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

This looks more and more to me like another case of a Canadian trying so hard to point out how different they are from the Americans,,

Whilst through European eyes they’ll always look so so similar…

Its just a matter of perspective
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:20 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeUK
This looks more and more to me like another case of a Canadian trying so hard to point out how different they are from the Americans,,

Whilst through European eyes they’ll always look so so similar…

Its just a matter of perspective
and The residents of Nasau and The residents of Acapulco apparently
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:22 am
mañana is my busiest day

I thought elections were decided in Ontario. It's only when you get out past Detroit that votes, usually, don't matter.

If, however, we accept the idea that Quebec has made the laws for Canada for the past fifty years and we know that the rest of the provinces have not strenuously objected, then doesn't that say that the rest of Canada generally agrees with Quebec? Wouldn't that be because the rest of Canada isn't very different from Quebec?
LOL, nice try but you are wrong.

First, with respect to voting, Ontario has been torn between three political parties. French Quebeckers however, have tended to vote more as a block (pardon the pun) and increased their collective influence that why. They vote for whomever will pander to their demands regardless of what is best for the country as a whole. Ontarians don't like to vote in a way that may appear to alienate Quebec.

Secondly, the rest of Canada has largely kowtowed to Quebec during Federal elections to prevent them from separating. In other words, because Quebec sees itself as distinct (a separate nation within Canada) it has effectively blackmailed the other provinces under threat of separation to get more than its fair share of the say on how the country is run.

Bottom line: Quebec gets more influence because it is more distinct.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 13th 2006 at 4:25 am.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by AnyaT
I don’t know about self-righteous, but I do think Canadians en masse have a smug, rather morally superior attitude. I think they also have a misinformed view on Canada’s importance in the world, which the media perpetuates. Canada has been told so often it is the best place to live it now accepts that without question and believes everyone should want to live here and embrace every facet of life unreservedly.
I thought this was a very good summation of what I was originally trying to get at.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:27 am
mañana is my busiest day

Ever heard of the french banning UK meat?
Ever hear about how Ontario's Minister of Agriculture wanted to ban beef from Alberta (all in the same country)? Well he could have!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.