Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Installment Reminder from CRA - BC

Installment Reminder from CRA - BC

Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Installment Reminder from CRA - BC

Originally Posted by dj322
So you have been paying instalments for the last 10 years? This thing confuses me as I am paying taxes through my workplace and on top of this I am paying via instalments, seems crazy to me!!!
Yes, but are you paying ALL your taxes through your workplace. Paying quarterly payments suggests you have other income which is not taxed.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:20 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

So you have been paying instalments for the last 10 years? This thing confuses me as I am paying taxes through my workplace and on top of this I am paying via instalments, seems crazy to me!!!
I'm different. I have never worked for a Canadian company since I came here in 2000. I work for a UK company. No payslips, anywhere.

I often get audited by the CRA. I've also been audited by HMRC.

Here's a tip. Keep bloody good records (at least 7 years).

Here's another one. Find an accountant who does tax returns on the side. Mine charges me $80 to do both our returns.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
...Find an accountant who does tax returns on the side. Mine charges me $80 to do both our returns.
Does (s)he declare it?
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

dj322 is an unknown quantity at this point

On a side note, now that I work permanently in Canada, do I need to fill out a self assessment tax return anymore to the UK? Just wondering what everyone else's experience is. I am enrolled online and it states that I do not owe anything.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:35 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Does (s)he declare it?
Probably. Her name goes on the returns.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:39 am
Slob

On a side note, now that I work permanently in Canada, do I need to fill out a self assessment tax return anymore to the UK? Just wondering what everyone else's experience is. I am enrolled online and it states that I do not owe anything.
I'd like to know the answer to that too.

I have done one ever since I moved to Canada. It used to be the work of a couple of minutes. About two years ago the form became much more detailed. I couldn't do it by myself and had to resort to going to the accountants used by my employers in the UK. They charge me £500!!!!!!!!!!!

My refund last year was 50p.

I'd rather not do a UK return if I don't need to.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of us are trapped in the HMRC perpetuating tax return cycle. I think you have to do it until they lose interest in you.

I have gone from someone who never had to fill in any to someone who now has to fill in two, both here and there.
Last year they sent me the condensed form (SA200 I think), all filled out with my details on it. I filled this one in, then got a letter back on my assessment telling me that although they had accepted it this time, it was not satisfactory and would be returned as such in future years.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Feb 23rd 2016 at 2:34 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:49 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I think a lot of us are trapped in the HMRC perpetuating tax return cycle. I think you have to do it until they lose interest in you.

I have gone from someone who never had to fill in any to someone who now has to fill in two, both here and there.
Last year they sent me the condensed form (SA200 I think), all filled out with my details on it. I filled this one in, then got a letter back on my assessment telling me that although they had accepted it this time, it was not satisfactory and would be returned as such in future years.
S
It's all a bit Hotel California..........
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Did you complete a P85 with HMRC to notify them you had left the country? If you do they calculate the tax you should of paid up to your moving date and make the calculation.

Because there is a reciprocal tax agreement, and assuming your only income is then from Canada, you shouldn't have to file a UK tax return.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

dj322 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Did you complete a P85 with HMRC to notify them you had left the country? If you do they calculate the tax you should of paid up to your moving date and make the calculation.

Because there is a reciprocal tax agreement, and assuming your only income is then from Canada, you shouldn't have to file a UK tax return.
I did notify them I have left the country and gave them my new address but I was not advised to fill a P8S, It appears you can complete it online though. I will probably contact HMRC by sending them a message via the online account facility to check if I need to fill this out. I have filled out so many other forms such as HS304, SA100, SA102 etc but not this one I don't think.

Last edited by dj322; Feb 23rd 2016 at 7:38 pm.