Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Information for Plumber looking to migrate, please

Information for Plumber looking to migrate, please

Old Aug 27th 2012, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

laura.anne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information for Plumber looking to migrate, please

Hi, been doinf more reading (some very helpful info here, thanks!) and just want some advice on the job front.

I am aware that things are a lot smoother if a job offer is obtained in advance of entering Canada. My husband and I are looking to move in approximately 12 months and will have a trip over there in that time, beginning of next year probably, to look at places and hopefully speak to potential employers.

However, is it at all likely that employers will be willing to commit to a job offer BEFORE my husband has sat the exam to get his skills assessed, which I presume isn't done until we are over there living?

Also, I read an interesting artical on here that suggested we buy the material to read the Canadian Plumbing Code and learn it in advance (great idea!) but can anyone help point me to the exact bit we need to order? I see an online course here, but expected it to be a simple reading material the article was referring to....?

http://shop.csa.ca/search?q=plumbing...=1&perpage=100

Many thanks.

Ps. we are currently considering British Columbia as our main option if that's relevant.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:14 pm
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information for Plumber looking to migrate, please

What experience and UK qualifications does your husband have?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

Contact BC industry training authority and ask for ILM's ( individual learning modules). These are the only thing to go by, as the test is written as a result of the contence of these books.
You will be best to get every module, but if anything like hgv mechanic, it's over 50 books. (each around 30-50 pages with self test in the back of each).
I would NOT recommend "exam bank" web site.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

laura.anne is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks both, sorry for late reply as internet was down (I will not miss BT!!)

He is trained to NVQ Level 2 and Gas Safe
Old Aug 31st 2012, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

Your husband will have to do a red seal examination. All I will say is once your husband has done this. This will be a licence to print money. Plumbers earn a ridiculosy insane amount of money.

Both as union employee or a sole trader. Minimum 100k per year, that is on the low side.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:27 am
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be to line up some job interviews before you come over for a visit, get a job offer etc then work and study the national plumbing code book inside out for 6 to 12 months once you move here and then sit the exam, they should let you sit the exam with your nvq and proof of 9000 hours in the plumbing trade,$60,000 -80,000 is around what a licenced plumber will earn but you can earn more if you put extra hours in