Reload this Page >

New to all this! Possibly moving from UK to Canada

New to all this! Possibly moving from UK to Canada

Old Aug 30th 2012, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

alixfairy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to all this! Possibly moving from UK to Canada

Hi,

My husband is super super keen to move to Canada. I am interested but need more convincing shall we say!

I am currently a Head of Department in a secondary school teaching geography. He is an electrician.

How attractive are we to the immigration service? How long would it take to apply to move over? Would we be better moving over then finding work or having jobs to go to?

Many thanks for future advice!

Alix
Old Aug 30th 2012, 4:29 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to all this! Possibly moving from UK to Canada

If your husband can find an employer willing to jump through hoops to get him there, and you're willing to give up your career, then go for it.

It all depends what you're moving from, and where you're moving to
Old Aug 30th 2012, 4:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alixfairy
Hi,

My husband is super super keen to move to Canada. I am interested but need more convincing shall we say!

I am currently a Head of Department in a secondary school teaching geography. He is an electrician.

How attractive are we to the immigration service? How long would it take to apply to move over? Would we be better moving over then finding work or having jobs to go to?

Alix

IMO, with a decent job I'd stay where you are and just go on nice long holidays.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 4:40 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

If you read the WIKI section, it's up on the blue bar, you should be able to find lots of answers there. It's much easier to get good answers if you ask specific questions.
Good luck.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

gigglegirl1979 is a jewel in the roughgigglegirl1979 is a jewel in the roughgigglegirl1979 is a jewel in the roughgigglegirl1979 is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Alix
Hi there! I am also a Head of Department (English) thinking of moving to Canada, although in my case, I am Canadian and I married a Brit! I've been here for seven years, we have a house and both have good jobs, but have a larger support network in Canada.

Why does your other half want to move? My husband has just got a job offer, but I know I would be unemployed as a teacher for a long time and the pay my OH has been offered is mediocre for him at best (he's a surveyor). Well, I would not be unemployed, I would just have to sub for a very very long time before I got a full time job. That said, it might be that your OH will make enough for both of you, but just be aware that teaching is NOT the same at all. You'll likely have to supply. On the other hand, imagine no league tables and no ofsted and NO FFT and, perhaps most importantly, NO exam boards in one of the best teaching systems in the world... some consider it well worth waiting for compared to the stress of UK teaching. There a lot of teaching jobs up in the North at reserves. You will also have to go through a bit of rejigging your teaching certification. You might need to requalify or do a qualifying test, but it varies depending on what province you are employed at. Get in touch with the Ontario College of Teachers. Thier website has some useful information for internationally trained teachers.

So, to answer your questions, teaching is not high on the immigration list. I am not sure about electrician. I had to wait six months for our spousal visa to come through.

Good luck with your decision making!!
Old Aug 30th 2012, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

alixfairy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the advice. Electrician is sought after which is why he wants to go, and he is sick of the UK too!

We have some good friends near Ontario so would probably be based around there.

I was thinking about a teacher exchange for a year, knowing teachers who have done this in the past in Australia and come to the UK like this.

If we went as he had a job offer but I didn't would they let me in? I would then look for work when we get over there.

A x
Old Aug 30th 2012, 6:42 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know what its like for teachers in Ontario but here in NS I know teachers that have graduated here and are still working as supply teachers for years and years. It seems to be SO hard to get a job in that profession.

I just wanted to say this so that if it is the case in Ontario that you have all the facts when you make your decision.
Electrician - being a profession in demand does not mean that finding a job will be easy. Bring lots of money with you so that you are ok for a while
Old Aug 30th 2012, 6:53 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the advice. Electrician is sought after which is why he wants to go, and he is sick of the UK too!

We have some good friends near Ontario so would probably be based around there.

I was thinking about a teacher exchange for a year, knowing teachers who have done this in the past in Australia and come to the UK like this.

If we went as he had a job offer but I didn't would they let me in? I would then look for work when we get over there.

A x
Electricians are more sought after out West where the work is more than say Ontario..and that doesn't mean UK electricians per see..different set of codes and regulations to the UK which your OH isn't qualified so puts him at a disadvantage to local trades when looking for somebody willing to jump through hoops for him.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I dont know what its like for teachers in Ontario but here in NS I know teachers that have graduated here and are still working as supply teachers for years and years. It seems to be SO hard to get a job in that profession.

I just wanted to say this so that if it is the case in Ontario that you have all the facts when you make your decision.
Electrician - being a profession in demand does not mean that finding a job will be easy. Bring lots of money with you so that you are ok for a while
Have to agree. Someone I work with her husband has had to move out west to get a permanent job as working supply for several years here in NS and getting nowhere
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:07 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Given your current job you'd be ****ing crazy to come here.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:10 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Given your current job you'd be ****ing crazy to come here.
I hear you, but some people want an adventure, a new experience, etc., more than security. It's just how they feel. I've been there!
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:27 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Ontario for teaching. Just to reiterate you will be subbing for many years. You may not get enough hours during term time to make you eligible for EI during the summer. Apparently if you can teach French you have a better chance of working.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Alix
Has your super, super keen husband figured out that he'd have to re-qualify as an electrician in Canada by taking something called the Red Seal?

Read the wiki.

You'd be screwed as a senior teacher, especially in Ontario. It might take years to get any sort of permanent job.

Don't do it.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:53 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Alix
Your husband would need to become provincially certified in your chosen province. To do this he would be able to challenge the provincial exam provided he can prove 9000 hours of experience (not have, but prove he has). He would then sit an exam administered by the provincial training authority and endorsed by the inter-provincial organisation Red Seal.

Coming to Canada as a teacher - maybe time for a career change.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:30 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

For the outlook for electricians, he may want to read this:

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/LMI...efresh=Refresh and also this: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...ician#job_opps

For the outlook for secondary school teachers, you may want to read this:

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/LMI...efresh=Refresh and also this: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...2&action=final

He would need to get equivalency for his qualifications: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...atedOccupation

Emigration is not for the feint hearted, nor for those with little financial resources.

If you decide to go for it regardless then I hope it goes well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.