Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Information please - Douglas Glen, Calgary

Information please - Douglas Glen, Calgary

Old Dec 15th 2012, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Allan79 is just really niceAllan79 is just really niceAllan79 is just really niceAllan79 is just really niceAllan79 is just really niceAllan79 is just really niceAllan79 is just really niceAllan79 is just really nice
Default Information please - Douglas Glen, Calgary

Hi all, I am in the very very early stages with a company in Douglas glen Calgary
They have offered me a job. only been email so far so anything could still happen. but just In case it does all work out I would love as much information about the place. schooling, asual stuff really. it would be myself, my partner and 4 year old son.
Thank you in advance for any info
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:11 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information please

Originally Posted by Allan79
Hi all, I am in the very very early stages with a company in Douglas glen Calgary
They have offered me a job. only been email so far so anything could still happen. but just In case it does all work out I would love as much information about the place. schooling, asual stuff really. it would be myself, my partner and 4 year old son.
Thank you in advance for any info
It appears it is within the City of Calgary.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas...sglen,_Calgary
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Allan79 is just really niceAllan79 is just really niceAllan79 is just really niceAllan79 is just really niceAllan79 is just really niceAllan79 is just really niceAllan79 is just really niceAllan79 is just really nice

Thanks for the reply but I was really hoping to get some first hand experience
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

In which case, I'll move this to the main part of the forum (the Maple Leaf is only for off topic chat) and make your thread title more relevant so that those who live nearby will see it.

If you could read the link in my signature, that would be great.

Best of luck with it, has the company applied for the LMO yet?
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:56 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you use the search function on here initially to find information about shipping costs, general emigration info, cost of living, schools etc.

Are you intending to rent a home?
If so, look on craigslist http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/ for information about rentals and prices to see what to expect there.
Also here will be information about furniture and other stuff you might find useful.

If you are going to be buying either now or in the future, then look at http://www.realtor.ca for what is on the market right now so you can consider prices for suitable homes in your area.

For schools, look at http://www.cbe.ab.ca/schools/schools.asp which will at least give you some idea as to what is available in the public school system there.

Your post title isn't going to attract the replies you want, I don't think, because it is too general.

Try posting under something like, "Info on moving to Calgary, please" or something which will attract those who have the information specific to your target area.

Good Luck.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Your post title isn't going to attract the replies you want, I don't think, because it is too general.

Try posting under something like, "Info on moving to Calgary, please" or something which will attract those who have the information specific to your target area.
Sorted it. Hopefully the OP will get some useful info from those in the area now.

Old Dec 15th 2012, 9:01 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorted it. Hopefully the OP will get some useful info from those in the area now.

Wow, fast work!
Old Dec 15th 2012, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Information please - Douglas Glen, Calgary

Thank you for your help. I wasn't 100% sure where to post, the company has never done it before so they are going to start looking into it next week, so anything could happen yet.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 9:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you for your help. I wasn't 100% sure where to post, the company has never done it before so they are going to start looking into it next week, so anything could happen yet.
No probs. The newbies guide has a section on which bit of the forum is for what, so that should help, but basically anything visa related goes in the immi section, any general life in Canada queries in the main Canada bit, and any off topic or irreverent posts in The Maple Leaf.

If the company haven't done it before then you may need to help them with it, so it's worth familiarising yourself with the LMO process just so you can be aware of it all. LMO's are tricky to get at the moment, but if the company can put together a good case of having advertised the job nationally, and prove that no Canadian was willing, or able to do it, then fingers crossed it'll be positive.

What is the job?
Old Dec 15th 2012, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

I am a car sprayer or as it seems to be called in Canada is a autobody painter refinisher, I have a brother who has been out in Canada now for 10 years but he does not live in this area(he lives in sk). so I know the basics, ive done a lot of research but I think you can't beat 1st hand experience of an area.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 9:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

.... the company has never done it before so they are going to start looking into it next week....
I am a car sprayer...
I don't foresee a rosy outcome here...
Old Dec 15th 2012, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Thats not the answer I wanted I take it from the two things I put add them together it's not good ?
Old Dec 15th 2012, 10:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...=n&s=2#outlook
Old Dec 15th 2012, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

The area is in the south east of Calgary and there are plenty of residential communities nearby. Douglas Glen itself is quite industrial.

I would say that only Mackenzie Towne is close to it on the east side of Deerfoot Trail. On the west side of Deerfoot Trail there are more residential communities.

As with most things, you need to come and have a look to determine if it is for you or not.