Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Info about Newfoundland in Feb/March

Info about Newfoundland in Feb/March

Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Willows Fairydogmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info about Newfoundland in Feb/March

Hello to anybody currently living in Newfoundland! I've had a good old trawl of past threads, but there aren't too many expats lurking in that neck of the woods (other than an Atlantic one! ).

OH and I are planning a holiday/reccie at the end of Feb/ beginning of March next year. We've done a bit of travelling in Ontario and Quebec, but really like the look of both NS and NFL. Are we bonkers to be trying to travel / drive around at that time of year? (for example, if we flew into Halifax, would we be able to drive to St Johns over a few days). I've just read the thread about who has the most snow, and wonder if we might find it a bit difficult, being lily-livered southern Brits! Or would we be better just to fly to St Johns via wherever, and then hire a car with snow tyres. Or come back in the spring! They do say you should try and see your prospective new home in the worst possible conditions!

Many thanks.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:56 pm
yeah....I can do that !

Marathonwreck 2 is a jewel in the roughMarathonwreck 2 is a jewel in the roughMarathonwreck 2 is a jewel in the roughMarathonwreck 2 is a jewel in the roughMarathonwreck 2 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Info about Newfoundland in Feb/March

Originally Posted by Willows Fairydogmum
Hello to anybody currently living in Newfoundland! I've had a good old trawl of past threads, but there aren't too many expats lurking in that neck of the woods (other than an Atlantic one! ).

OH and I are planning a holiday/reccie at the end of Feb/ beginning of March next year. We've done a bit of travelling in Ontario and Quebec, but really like the look of both NS and NFL. Are we bonkers to be trying to travel / drive around at that time of year? (for example, if we flew into Halifax, would we be able to drive to St Johns over a few days). I've just read the thread about who has the most snow, and wonder if we might find it a bit difficult, being lily-livered southern Brits! Or would we be better just to fly to St Johns via wherever, and then hire a car with snow tyres. Or come back in the spring! They do say you should try and see your prospective new home in the worst possible conditions!

Many thanks.

Errrrmmmm.........eh........I'd like to be at the front of the queue to watch you 'drive ' to St.Johns.........
Can't tell you much about their weather in NFL (other than they get oodles of snow...) but driving in NS can be a challenge at that time of the year. But just think of it as a challenge ! They DO tend to keep the roads clear where we live and have not had any difficulty getting about. Ditto my OH.(who has to drive everywhere when I'm out of the contry (working). If you want to go to NFL fly to St.Johns and hire a 4x4 ..........me thinks !
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info about Newfoundland in Feb/March

Welcome to BE....

Feb/March in Newfoundland is smack bang in the middle of winter and generally when we get the bulk of the 3-4metre winter snowfall. That being said, life doesn't stop during this time, it just maybe pauses during a storm. Snow clearing is pretty efficient & road travel is possible but perhaps a bit nervewracking if you are not used to/confident in driving in snow!

You talk about driving to NL from NS. You do know we're on an Island right? Driving from Halifax to St John's for example involves 4 hours or so to North Sydney in NS then a 12hr ferry crossing over the rather stormy cabot strait and then 12 hour drive from Port aux Basques to St. John's. If you are time limited (A few days you say?) then probably much better to fly from Halifax to St Johns and rent a car here. Note that its entirely likely for flights to be delayed/cancelled due to weather during a storm.

Newfoundland in the winter is a great place if you embrace the weather! Skiing at Marble Mountain (Corner Brook) & White Hills (Clarenville). Skidooing, snowshoeing, cross country etc. So you're not mad to come at this time of year, just be prepared for all eventualities!

Anything more I can do to help just let me know.
AX
Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:03 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Newfoundland in the winter is a great place if you embrace the weather! Skiing at Marble Mountain (Corner Brook) & White Hills (Clarenville). Skidooing, snowshoeing, cross country etc.

And all the clubbing!

Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:10 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
And all the clubbing!

Nah, thats more like April. And it's mostly shooting not clubbing.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Willows Fairydogmum is an unknown quantity at this point

I assume we're talking about seals. Do they dress up in spangly costumes and do a rendition of YMCA? Or is it more Travolta-esque?

Anyway. Yes, an island. That fact had momentarily fled from my brain.

I guess we'd better make a decision about one or tother. NS looks like it's getting a bit crowded with all the other expats, so maybe we should give NFL a go!

Thanks for the info so far. Will probably ask further daft questions, so bear with me.