Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just found this on Metro News Canada

Just found this on Metro News Canada

Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just found this on Metro News Canada

http://www.metronews.ca/column.aspx?id=87832

"This shift from our points-based system, which attempts to predict the employability of an intending immigrant, to a system that relies on actual Canadian employability may be the wave of the future. If so, that would suggest we will be increasingly turning toward our foreign students and foreign workers already here as our pool of future immigrants.

If this is what’s planned, this would be a good thing. Let’s wait and see."

Opinions anyone?
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just found this on Metro News Canada

Originally Posted by YYZlover

"This shift from our points-based system, which attempts to predict the employability of an intending immigrant, to a system that relies on actual Canadian employability may be the wave of the future. If so, that would suggest we will be increasingly turning toward our foreign students and foreign workers already here as our pool of future immigrants.

Opinions anyone?
As a cynic, and based on what I have experienced here it will be all talk and no action. Or if there is any action it will take forever
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:37 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daft batty
As a cynic, and based on what I have experienced here it will be all talk and no action. Or if there is any action it will take forever
How very, very true Batty.

For a country that readily admits it needs immigrants, things can be stunningly slow to happen in Canada.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
How very, very true Batty.

For a country that readily admits it needs immigrants, things can be stunningly slow to happen in Canada.
Its that "average" factor. Canada truly believes in if it aint broke dont fix it, so nothing ever changes until they really really have to.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:54 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Opinions anyone?
It already happens. International graduates from BC post-secondary institutions with degrees in science, health, IT or business are eligible for PR under the provincial nominee program.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:54 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

No surprise

I was told a couple of years ago that my work visa would end and that if I want to stay I’d have to apply for PR.
I was discussing this with a border guard shortly after being told, bemoaning that the Canadian government was trying to force me stay
His comment was that they had been told that in order to get away form the problem of the Phd taxi drivers, the government was proposing to slowly get away from Skilled workers, to work permits so skilled people were coming to fill jobs and then encourage them to stay after a number of years..
As far as I’m aware as it’s taken longer to get PR, Work visa’s have been easier and easier for employers to get
So to me this sounds like they’re formalizing something CIC been doing for a while
Old Dec 6th 2007, 1:40 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

To me, it sounds as if the Federal Skilled Worker category is being phased out. That 5 year wait from London might just extend to infinity as Andrew Miller has already suggested on the Immigration forum.

Not good news for a lot of folk on here.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

benjy25 will become famous soon enoughbenjy25 will become famous soon enough

Opinions anyone?
Lets be honest here, this will take them YEARS to set in motion and years to implement. Those of us currently waiting for processing PR applications will probably be dealt with in due course, but I could imagine a scenario where new and recent applicants have problems in the future. IMHO if you really want to move to Canada enough then you will find a way to do so, be that through PNP, work permit or otherwise.