Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IT Industry Canada - Munted?

IT Industry Canada - Munted?

Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:34 am
  #16  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 605
CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all
Default Re: IT Industry Canada - Munted?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I very much doubt that that's true of the computer business. I think the GTA (financial hub of the country) and Ottawa (the feds) have most of the computers followed by south-west Ontario (all those insurance companies in Kitchener and London), Montreal (CGI is one the world's larger outsourcers), Quebec City (their government is incredibly overpowered for computers) and then Calgary (quangoes and oil companies, though I found that an awful lot of oil related computing is done in the US).

I expect there are personal computer elsewhere but in terms of large scale IT employment I think Ontario is pretty much it for Canada.
"Most computers" does not necessarily translate to "most jobs". The areas you mention undoubtedly have many large companies, each likely to be running large mainframes, but there is also a large pool of people to choose from.

If was an immigrant looking for a job in I.T. here, I would be looking for an area where there were many new projects starting up. I would think it's very difficult for an immigrant to get a "dead man's shoes" position, but easier to get on a project team doing new development.

With the oil and gas companies making huge profits, there are many new projects starting up. Shell, BP, Encana, Husky, TCPL, Talisman are to my knowledge looking for development and project management people here. These companies all have large IT depts in Calgary.

There aren't many mainframes in Calgary and as I came with a mainframe background and my analysis knowledge was in investment banking, neither made me highly sought after here.

But a 6 month re-training course in OO A&D and I got a job very easily.

I'm now working on a multi-million dollar 3 tiered client-server application, which will run as a smart client on the users desktops.

For a variety of interesting projects, I would recommend joining a Consultancy.

The good thing about Calgary (and probably the other IT areas of Canada) is that IT is relatively highly paid.
CalgaryBlade is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2006, 7:09 am
  #17  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: The Edge Of Insanity
Posts: 36
Ignition is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IT Industry Canada - Munted?

Originally Posted by jandro
Most positions demand at least a 2 year computer related degree, several years experience and various certs before they'll take you seriously. I don't know why it was easier in the UK but some have said the in Canada there is an overemphasis on certification and degrees here-probably because the competion is fierce and employers need a standard to weed resumes out.
Exactly how the UK used to be before they realised that experience is the king and a lot of the talent doesn't have these because they've been too busy actually doing the job in question.

I'll give it time. I know that increasingly experience is becoming king, and time is something I certainly have.

Due to recent job move my resume is looking more impressive these days anyway, and will improve a fair bit more soon.

Thank you all for your time and input, it's greatly appreciated
Ignition is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:41 am
  #18  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 132
JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice
Default Re: IT Industry Canada - Munted?

Originally Posted by Ignition
Exactly how the UK used to be before they realised that experience is the king and a lot of the talent doesn't have these because they've been too busy actually doing the job in question.

I'll give it time. I know that increasingly experience is becoming king, and time is something I certainly have.

Due to recent job move my resume is looking more impressive these days anyway, and will improve a fair bit more soon.

Thank you all for your time and input, it's greatly appreciated
If 'time is something you certainly have', you should use some of it to get a degree, it can only improve your chances...and give you enough points to actually immigrate anyway.

I think you are in for a big shock because you are assuming that people with degrees don't have experience and the people with the experience don't have any qualifications. That may be true to a certain extent in the UK where degrees are not given much credence apart from in entry level graduate jobs, but it is not the case everywhere.

Good Luck!

Cheers

Jez
JezHarper is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:57 am
  #19  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: The Edge Of Insanity
Posts: 36
Ignition is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IT Industry Canada - Munted?

Originally Posted by JezHarper
If 'time is something you certainly have', you should use some of it to get a degree, it can only improve your chances...and give you enough points to actually immigrate anyway.

I think you are in for a big shock because you are assuming that people with degrees don't have experience and the people with the experience don't have any qualifications. That may be true to a certain extent in the UK where degrees are not given much credence apart from in entry level graduate jobs, but it is not the case everywhere.

Good Luck!

Cheers

Jez
Not quite I was just referring to some recruiters' habit of requiring a degree whatever else is on the page, and ignoring those without one.

In the IT industry here for sure there were a lot of cases where people were hired because they had pieces of paper and found to not be able to do the job. Still is the case to an extent, graduates are hired to do jobs they can't really do that well because they have the bits of paper that impress HR and ask for much less cash than people who've been in the industry a while.

On the other hand of course there are plenty of people who have the best of both worlds. My point was really that degrees, etc, should open doors to gaining experience and learning the job, not be the be all and end all in rating someone's skills.

I certainly didn't intend to give the impression that the two are mutually exclusive, and can only apologise if this was the case

Thanks.
Ignition is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:28 pm
  #20  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 132
JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice
Default Re: IT Industry Canada - Munted?

Originally Posted by Ignition
Not quite I was just referring to some recruiters' habit of requiring a degree whatever else is on the page, and ignoring those without one.

In the IT industry here for sure there were a lot of cases where people were hired because they had pieces of paper and found to not be able to do the job. Still is the case to an extent, graduates are hired to do jobs they can't really do that well because they have the bits of paper that impress HR and ask for much less cash than people who've been in the industry a while.

On the other hand of course there are plenty of people who have the best of both worlds. My point was really that degrees, etc, should open doors to gaining experience and learning the job, not be the be all and end all in rating someone's skills.

I certainly didn't intend to give the impression that the two are mutually exclusive, and can only apologise if this was the case

Thanks.
I do agree entirely; a degree should only be a requirement to fill an entry level graduate job. Unfortunately, in a market where there are far more people applying for jobs than there are jobs available, the recruiters have to set additioinal requirements to cut the number of resumes down to a managable amount.

Coupled with the fact that most of this filtering is done by non-technical HR people, the degree is an easy thing to filter on (as all the really clever people have degrees ), the next level of filtering is usually on keywords (technical buzz words).

Only when the number of resumes is down to a managable amount does anyone start looking at your skills and experience.

Regardless of whether we, as technical people, think this is the right way to go about it (obviously it isn't, as there are a large number of people in the market place who can talk the talk but not walk the walk!), it is a fact of business that we have to do everything we can just to get into a position where we can prove we are as good as we say we are.

You need a degree, or you need to follow the approach of going round to businesses selling yourself, as I mentioned earlier.

Of course, you could go for the easy approach and go contracting

Cheers

Jez
JezHarper is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:32 pm
  #21  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 39,758
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Industry Canada - Munted?

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
"Most computers" does not necessarily translate to "most jobs".
Indeed. I would think the thing to do would be to find a job and then move to it, regardless of location.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:13 pm
  #22  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 118
eferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud of
Default Re: IT Industry Canada - Munted?

Originally Posted by jandro
There, I met people who had previously worked as programmers, managers, some had CCNA and CCNP, etc. People were stabbing each other in the back for a few cents raise!
I can understand that in Canada you can hire 10 CCNAs for a penny, this is happening worldwide. But, although I am not living in Canada yet, I think the situation for CCNP certified should be different. Almost anyone can get a CCNA certification, but normally for getting the CCNP you will be required to have a deeper understanding in Networking and some work experience.

Once I heard someone said about the status of Cisco professionals in USA:
CCNA without experience: No Job
CCNA with experience or CCNP without experience: You might get a job
CCNP with experience: Eventually, you will get a job
CCIE: You have THE job.

Anyone knows if this classification is different for Cisco professionals in Canada?

Best regards
eferreira is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2006, 7:49 pm
  #23  
Now on Vancouver Island
 
Judy in Calgary's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,935
Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Industry Canada - Munted?

Originally Posted by Ignition
Not quite I was just referring to some recruiters' habit of requiring a degree whatever else is on the page, and ignoring those without one.

In the IT industry here for sure there were a lot of cases where people were hired because they had pieces of paper and found to not be able to do the job. Still is the case to an extent, graduates are hired to do jobs they can't really do that well because they have the bits of paper that impress HR and ask for much less cash than people who've been in the industry a while.

On the other hand of course there are plenty of people who have the best of both worlds. My point was really that degrees, etc, should open doors to gaining experience and learning the job, not be the be all and end all in rating someone's skills.

I certainly didn't intend to give the impression that the two are mutually exclusive, and can only apologise if this was the case

Thanks.
I suggest you take to heart what JezHarper said in post #20 and what dbd33 said in post #21. If you can bite the bullet and accept what they said, Canada might be a suitable country for you, and you might be a suitable candidate for entry into Canada.

If not, I suggest you give up the idea of moving to Canada and save your energy for other battles. If I sound rude, I apologise. I'm honestly trying to save you from wasting your time.

One of the most useful research projects you could do would be to read all the messages that this person has posted.

While you're about it, have a good look at the "Moving back to the UK" forum. That's another invaluable source of information.

All the best in your endeavours.
Judy in Calgary is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2006, 10:45 pm
  #24  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: The Edge Of Insanity
Posts: 36
Ignition is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IT Industry Canada - Munted?

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I suggest you take to heart what JezHarper said in post #20 and what dbd33 said in post #21. If you can bite the bullet and accept what they said, Canada might be a suitable country for you, and you might be a suitable candidate for entry into Canada.

If not, I suggest you give up the idea of moving to Canada and save your energy for other battles. If I sound rude, I apologise. I'm honestly trying to save you from wasting your time.

One of the most useful research projects you could do would be to read all the messages that this person has posted.

While you're about it, have a good look at the "Moving back to the UK" forum. That's another invaluable source of information.

All the best in your endeavours.

I've certainly looked through a few of those posts.

I'm beginning to question whether it's all such a good idea after reading those kind of experiences.

Perhaps I should reconsider, the job situation for people in my field is so much better here. Here I'm heavily in demand.

Question is I guess do I want to give the guaranteed job and people chasing me up to risk going somewhere where at best I'm going to struggle and at worst I'm going to be overlooked not because of how good I would be at the job but because I don't know the right people.

IMHO that really is an appauling and unprofessional way to recruit for a professional level position. Reality can be like that I guess
Ignition is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:12 pm
  #25  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 132
JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice
Angry Re: IT Industry Canada - Munted?

Originally Posted by Ignition
I've certainly looked through a few of those posts.

I'm beginning to question whether it's all such a good idea after reading those kind of experiences.

Perhaps I should reconsider, the job situation for people in my field is so much better here. Here I'm heavily in demand.

Question is I guess do I want to give the guaranteed job and people chasing me up to risk going somewhere where at best I'm going to struggle and at worst I'm going to be overlooked not because of how good I would be at the job but because I don't know the right people.

IMHO that really is an appauling and unprofessional way to recruit for a professional level position. Reality can be like that I guess
I am very sorry if I offend anyone with this post.

Ignition, do you think that you are gods gift to the technical world? Do you think that you should be treated differently in Canada because of what you think of yourself?

Please explain what you think is a more professional approach to recruitment. Would you tie up valueable technical resources trawling through resumes? That wouldn't be good enough because there are plenty of people who can write the right things on resumes but can't do the job, so you'd have to either interview or test each and every candidate. Is that your idea of more professional?

What you actually mean is that if people aren't willing to give you a job without you making the effort, they are making an unprofessional mistake because they aren't getting the very best Networking person who ever existed.

I can't imagine how Canada copes without you, afterall, they can only possibly have second grade idiots without your level of skill and experience.

You are an arrogant idiot, and I am grateful for the fact that without a degree you are not very likely to get into Canada even if you wanted to.
JezHarper is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:59 pm
  #26  
Loving it here!
 
ClareBC's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,198
ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: IT Industry Canada - Munted?

A very good friend of mine has been here 4 years (ish) and been working in England for some of that time - he has no degree, therefore he was having problems breaking into the Canadian Experience milarky, especially in the competitive field of IT.

However, he has persevered (when most of us would have booked our one way flights back to Blighty) and is working over in Canada now. Part of the reason was that the family settled down so quickly and it was clearly an excellent move for the kids...

All the best, whatever you decide

Clare
ClareBC is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:29 am
  #27  
Best Place on Earth- LMAO
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: BC
Posts: 559
jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: IT Industry Canada - Munted?

Originally Posted by Ignition
I've certainly looked through a few of those posts.

I'm beginning to question whether it's all such a good idea after reading those kind of experiences.

Perhaps I should reconsider, the job situation for people in my field is so much better here. Here I'm heavily in demand.

Question is I guess do I want to give the guaranteed job and people chasing me up to risk going somewhere where at best I'm going to struggle and at worst I'm going to be overlooked not because of how good I would be at the job but because I don't know the right people.

IMHO that really is an appauling and unprofessional way to recruit for a professional level position. Reality can be like that I guess

I came across those posts as well and was nodding my head as I read them as they concurred with my own IT job hunting experiences in Canada. I read that that poster wasn't totally committed to emigrating to Canada in the first place though. The bottom line is that you have to look much harder for the job you want and use a wider variety of job searching tactics than you would in the UK. And when you do find that cherished job it won't pay as much or have the same benefits. At the last IT company I worked for you had to work for a whole year before you were entitled to 2 weeks vacation! My partner just worked a weekend with no pay because it was expected and has only vague promises of taking the time off in lieue.
jandro is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:13 am
  #28  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: The Edge Of Insanity
Posts: 36
Ignition is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IT Industry Canada - Munted?

Originally Posted by JezHarper
I am very sorry if I offend anyone with this post.

Ignition, do you think that you are gods gift to the technical world? Do you think that you should be treated differently in Canada because of what you think of yourself?

Please explain what you think is a more professional approach to recruitment. Would you tie up valueable technical resources trawling through resumes? That wouldn't be good enough because there are plenty of people who can write the right things on resumes but can't do the job, so you'd have to either interview or test each and every candidate. Is that your idea of more professional?

What you actually mean is that if people aren't willing to give you a job without you making the effort, they are making an unprofessional mistake because they aren't getting the very best Networking person who ever existed.

I can't imagine how Canada copes without you, afterall, they can only possibly have second grade idiots without your level of skill and experience.

You are an arrogant idiot, and I am grateful for the fact that without a degree you are not very likely to get into Canada even if you wanted to.
I've actually spent two years 'networking' with Canadians, that's how I nearly got hired last year. I networked by assisting them with some issues, we worked in similar industries and I had experience they didn't and could contribute, as they could assist me.

In addition to this I've faxed dozens of Canadian companies, used several resume forwarding services, visited Canada in person to make enquiries and attempted to place myself on several employment agencies books. This has to date cost me easily 4 figures. Any wonder I take perhaps a more cynical view than you consider appropriate?!

My apologies if I've offended you. Clearly I must be an idiot wondering how UK companies, etc, manage to recruit via submitted resumes, clearly they are making a mistake and should just recruit based on who walks through the front door or who is recommended by friends (always objective).

Oh I know they use agencies, etc, as filters, and take the time to review CVs / resumes. It takes 30 seconds to review a resume and identify if the person there is appropriate. Yes, UK employers get hammered with resumes as well, from people of all levels of experience. Employment agencies are all over people, that's a competitive market working the other way around. Rather than sitting back and waiting for the right people companies in the UK actively go after them, to the point of going international (recently a person in my department and a person in another department were hired, both from outside the EU).

If there are copious amounts of lying on resumes there are deeper issues there. Are you suggesting that lying is standard for a Canadian resume? Are you also suggesting that the policy of hiring people you know means that they get the right people 100% of the time? I fail to see where the potential to lie is any lower. I can happily fib about my experience in person or on paper if I so chose.

http://www.marwen.ca/s_corporate_employee-screening.asp must be busy.

Again I fail totally to see how it's any less of a waste of time seeing someone in person or filtering resumes. Someone with no idea what they are doing whose resume is complete fiction is every bit as capable of turning up at the front door as a professional with decades of experience.

I have never been hired through what you are advocating as the Canadian approach, my work in my professional life has never been considered anything but excellent, and my job searches have been fairly painless. Usually sending my resume out and updating on the relevant websites works.

A recruiter from Cisco has mailed me saying they've seen my resume and asking if I'm still interested in a career change. I didn't even have to go to a bar with him or visit the office in person demanding an interview. That'll be my fictional resume working its' magic again.

You're dead right I certainly should avoid Canada for now, evidently IT wise its' economy is completely screwed, if it were any other way the stories I've read on here wouldn't be happening.

It's worth me mentioning that the position that I did everything right for in Canada, bar an HR director blocking it after all his staff under him were happy, was unfilled for 3 months before he made his decision, and remained unfilled for another 2 - 3 months after.

Really competitive market where loads of qualified people persue very few jobs obviously if it takes 6 months to find someone appropriately skilled.

Thank you to the poster who recommended I look in more depth at people who've searched for IT positions, it has scared me off nicely. If we cut through the gack it's only this way because there aren't enough jobs in the field there for the people applying for them and too much BS in the selection. If this changes in the future I'll look at it all again.

In the meantime I'll stay arrogant and idiotic and read the stories on here of people far more qualified and experienced than me struggling like crazy to find any IT work let alone appropriate to their skills.

You're damned right I'm committed to getting where I want to be - Canada is the best place IMO in the world for so many reasons, however despite my extreme arrogance my wife refuses to let me do a menial $10 an hour job.

Best place in the world to raise my daughter probably, the job situation a mess.

Last edited by Ignition; Feb 14th 2006 at 8:16 am.
Ignition is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:20 am
  #29  
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,715
hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Industry Canada - Munted?

Originally Posted by Ignition
Are you suggesting that lying is standard for a Canadian resume?
I would say yes, it's fairly standard. Employers read ads like how people should read descriptions on mls.ca. Growing up in Canada, it's drillled into you in 'how to write a resume' lessons in 'life class' in high school, how to "highlight your attributes" while "making the most of your weaknesses" - they don't say 'lie' but they might as well. Employers know and expect this.

Still, it sounds as though you've had a particularily unlucky time!
hot wasabi peas is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:23 am
  #30  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: The Edge Of Insanity
Posts: 36
Ignition is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IT Industry Canada - Munted?

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I would say yes, it's fairly standard. Employers read ads like how people should read descriptions on mls.ca. Growing up in Canada, it's drillled into you in 'how to write a resume' lessons in 'life class' in high school, how to "highlight your attributes" while "making the most of your weaknesses" - they don't say 'lie' but they might as well. Employers know and expect this.

Still, it sounds as though you've had a particularily unlucky time!
I see, I wasn't aware of this.

I don't think I've been that unlucky, the only unlucky part being the frustration in the middle of last year. In the grand scheme of things my patience isn't always the greatest though.

Thanks for the input helps to put things into perspective a bit more. Not as bad here, out and out lying is rarely seen as it's usually fairly brutally exposed in interview, and a waste of your own and others' time.

Far from unknown though, as I've seen looking at my own manager going through the resumes on his desk. My personal favourite so far a guy who invented a job, sadly someone in this dept worked for that same company in that same department at the same time as this guy alledgedly did
Ignition is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.