Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

importing a vehicle form UK ot Canada

importing a vehicle form UK ot Canada

Old Nov 23rd 2012, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all
Default importing a vehicle form UK ot Canada

I'm looking into the idea of moving to live and work in Canada and don't think I could bare to part with my old Toyota Liteace MPV which I converted into a camper.
Does anyone know if there would be an import duty payable???
It's a 1988 model which will make it 25 years old soon. In the UK that's considered vintage, but I don't where to start looking for information on this...
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 2:32 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: importing a vehicle form UK ot Canada

http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx

hth
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

We have considered this many times, but have always come to the conclusion that it's just not worth the hassle, and costs envolved.

Being over the 15 years means you won't have any bother getting it in, but you still have to pass the safety test (mot) and E-test (emissions)

For the Safety test, you will need to fit daytime running lights, and your headlights will either need to be adjusted or replaced to point right instead of left.

You will also possibly have a much higher insurance premium because it's a right hooker.

Drive-thru's and toll booths will be a pain.

All in all, it's easier just to start afresh, and embrace your new country and the cars it has waiting for you
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
We have considered this many times, but have always come to the conclusion that it's just not worth the hassle, and costs envolved.

Being over the 15 years means you won't have any bother getting it in, but you still have to pass the safety test (mot) and E-test (emissions)

For the Safety test, you will need to fit daytime running lights, and your headlights will either need to be adjusted or replaced to point right instead of left.

You will also possibly have a much higher insurance premium because it's a right hooker.

Drive-thru's and toll booths will be a pain.

All in all, it's easier just to start afresh, and embrace your new country and the cars it has waiting for you
hmmm I could get right pointing headlights alright, sure it pass a safety test, emissions too, but perhaps it would be easier to sell it and buy a left hooker after I'd settled in...Ah! for once I'm thinking with my head not my heart!!
Here's another point though, my Toyota is happiest doing about 50mph all day...any more and it starts getting a bit hot...would that be a liability on Canadian roads???
It certainly was when I drove from Calais to Amsterdam last year...the trucks were tailgating me so close I could have cleaned their windscreen for them...
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 7:11 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Safety test is a breeze..
DLRs were not needed; adjusting the headlights wasn't done either..

I have Mini with a performance engine set up, the only thing I needed to do was add a catalytic convertor to get through emissions… that or put a smaller set of more sensible carburetors on it…
at 50mh you max out at 80kph which will be fine for almost everywhere “localy” but the big highways where it runs at 100kph+
Old Nov 24th 2012, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

you wouldn't need DRLs for a car that old

but as Dave has said...its probably not really worth it when you consider the selection out here! "When in Rome" as they say

i do think however, that if i end up staying here permanently, I'll be importing a Japanese model Civic Type-R, which have just turned 15 years old this year...and i'd love to be one of the only ones in the city

also, they don't seem to be big on the small camper vans here in Calgary, but you could just get a Heavy Duty truck and a 5th Wheel trailer and you'd be sorted
Old Nov 26th 2012, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by haggis88
you wouldn't need DRLs for a car that old

but as Dave has said...its probably not really worth it when you consider the selection out here! "When in Rome" as they say

i do think however, that if i end up staying here permanently, I'll be importing a Japanese model Civic Type-R, which have just turned 15 years old this year...and i'd love to be one of the only ones in the city

also, they don't seem to be big on the small camper vans here in Calgary, but you could just get a Heavy Duty truck and a 5th Wheel trailer and you'd be sorted
hmmm...I think I;ll keep looking into it for 3 reasons,
1; I don't know what DRLs are but if I don't need them then that's one less thing to worry about...
2; I've never been one to adopt the 'When in Rome' approach, I like to be quirky...
3; I couldn't be bothered with a 'heavy duty truck'...The beauty of my Toyota is that it's big enough to get a motorbike or a pile of logs in the back, but small enough to get under any height barrier at the beach or at an underground car park. Also, mine is a rare 4x4 version so it's great fun in the snow!...the security guards at Tesco have given up waving their arms at me now as I whiz around their car park when it's covered in snow
Attached Thumbnails importing a vehicle form UK ot Canada-go-anywhere-toyo.jpg  
Old Nov 27th 2012, 6:40 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

DRL=Daytime Running Lights

4WD version.... That'll come in handy for sure.

We're bringing our 1989 YJ over.... back to the country it was made in