Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Importing Guns

Importing Guns

Old Jul 16th 2012, 5:48 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing Guns

Originally Posted by jerseytocanada
So can i bring in my Glock17 gas gun or not??????? It exactly resembles a Glock 17.

It won't be coming with me but as an example would it be allowed? I'm confused.
No it is prohibited. Basically what that CBSA blurb says is that anything that is a firearm is not an imitation, so for example an "uncontrolled" airgun (i.e. not subject to licensing) is not an imitation and is thus legal (the example the CFC give is the Walther CP88, a CO2-powered pellet gun). It's a firearm because it's capable of causing a lethal injury.

An airsoft gun though, that "resembles with near precision" a firearm other than an antique is prohibited, because it is incapable of causing a lethal injury, so not a firearm and its an imitation, so its illegal.

The example the CFC give in the guidance is a Marui Glock 17 airsoft gun. What colour it is doesn't make a difference, btw, they only consider size and shape.

The problem is this bit:
The jurisprudence has established that to consider a firearm within the meaning of s. 2 of the Criminal Code, an airsoft gun must have a muzzle velocity in excess of 124 meters per second (407 feet per second).
What that means is that RCMP forensics have determined that an air gun with a muzzle velocity in excess of that is capable of causing a lethal injury (thus making it into a firearm), but it's completely subjective, and I don't think a Walther CP88 could do it actually. And how can CBSA possibly measure it at the POE?

Very hard for them to determine if its an imitation or an "uncontrolled" firearm.

But anyway, basically, airguns legal, airsoft guns are not, if they are an imitation of a real firearm that is not an antique.