Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The importance of a PR Card

The importance of a PR Card

Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:52 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The importance of a PR Card

Originally Posted by Rixy
Not sure why there would be a big deal not just to apply for a new PR card before it expires.
You got to wonder if you could get in with out it what would the point of the card being available be?
It was introduced to make life easier for the airlines, who had a problem with people from countries that would ordinarily require a visa to enter Canada presenting counterfeit documentation.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont think anyone is recommending letting a PR card expire and doing nothing about it, but if you must travel without it for some reason to and from the UK, you are exceptionally unlikely to have a problem.
Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
There is no argument that you should maintain your valid PR card. But as Iain says, chances are that if you have to travel without it you should be OK. Whether a Caribbean holiday is a have to travel situation is another matter.

That reminds me, I must get off my bum and apply for my Canadian passport.
Just raising this thread again to add to the "returning to Canada with/without the PR card/Canadian passport" debate - we came home from the UK last night.

PR cards ran out in December.
New Citizenship cards obtained end of January (which are not travel documents, remember!)
Holiday already booked for 14th February. Decision made NOT to try and apply for Canadian passports in the two week window of opportunity available to us.
Travelled on UK passports with British Airways.
Airline did not ask to see any other documentation when boarding our return flight from Heathrow to Calgary.

Lined up at Passport Control at Calgary (secretly armed with every bit of paper I thought I might need to prove our status).

No problems at all. Just reminded to write "Canadian" as our citizenship on the declaration form, 'cos hubby had put "British".
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:29 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
No problems at all. Just reminded to write "Canadian" as our citizenship on the declaration form, 'cos hubby had put "British".
That was pretty much my experience, returning from London in Dec on British PP and with a Citizenship card. Except that I remembered to put "Canadian" down for nationality.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Taken from the Air Canada website
Only Canadian permanent residents from non visa-waiver countries travelling outside Canada are required to carry a valid Canadian permanent resident (PR) card or a valid visa, in addition to a valid passport, to return to Canada. The IMM1000 Record of Landing is no longer acceptable. Without a valid Canadian PR Card or valid visa, these passengers are not permitted to board the aircraft, and will need to contact the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate to obtain a limited use travel document to re-enter Canada. For more information, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.
This from the CIC website
The Permanent Resident Card is the official proof of your status as a permanent resident in Canada.
This wallet-sized plastic card is required for all permanent residents of Canada seeking to re-enter Canada on a commercial carrier (airplane, boat, train or bus).
Taken from A31(2)(b) IRPA
b) a person who is outside Canada and who does not present a status document indicating permanent resident status is presumed not to have permanent resident status.
As stated numerous times this is an airline decision under A148 of IRPA.
Im saying no more.