Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IMMIGRANTS IN BC

IMMIGRANTS IN BC

Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:21 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IMMIGRANTS IN BC

Originally Posted by brizzle
It sucks and I feel for you, but unfortunately that can be the work culture here and it is only compounded by the fact that you live in a small isolated town. What does your OH do? Are there better opportunities elsewhere (AB was mentioned). You could always rent out your house if need be, whilst you get back on your feet?
I think she'd find the same with small isolated towns anywhere. As for getting laid off with no notice, if your OH was on contract/ permanent he/she should get the minimum 2 weeks. When I was laid off I finished up that day, but got severance for the notice period.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:24 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I can only speak from my experience. When you put it like that it sounds as if you are saying nepotism trumps ability. I don't believe that at all, at least not in the private business sector.

We all know that in the private sector many jobs are never advertised. If one of my clients needs a new bookkeeper the first thing they will do is call me and ask if I know of anyone. If I know someone suitable who is looking for work I will make an introduction. I can understand that it might seem to a newcomer that it is not fair - they could do the job but didn't have a chance to apply.

In reality they had exactly the same chance, just went about it the wrong way.

If I returned to London I might want temporary office work. In London the vast majority of temporary work is handled by agencies. I wouldn't get much sympathy if I complained that I wasn't getting any temporary work but refused to contact these agencies because it wasn't the "Canadian" way of going about it.

That said, I found my first job here from answering a classified ad in the paper. You don't have to network to find a job, but it can sure help.

Academic qualifications are academic qualifications and I have never had, or seen, an issue with this. Licensing is different. I don't mind if a licensing body makes sure that people have the appropriate education and experience to do what they are asking to be paid for. It seems to be slowest where the licensing body also acts as a trade union for its members.

However, I do sometimes wonder if some posters think they should not have to go through the same processes as people from elsewhere in the world. After all, they have a British education which is obviously superior and should be quite good enough for a former colony. (Not aimed at you BTW - just an observation.)
Good post.

THere are also lots of jobs on craigslist. just sayin'. Current gig is for a very well known company - they didn't go through a recruiter, they went through craigslist.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

I can only speak from my experience. When you put it like that it sounds as if you are saying nepotism trumps ability. I don't believe that at all, at least not in the private business sector.

We all know that in the private sector many jobs are never advertised. If one of my clients needs a new bookkeeper the first thing they will do is call me and ask if I know of anyone. If I know someone suitable who is looking for work I will make an introduction. I can understand that it might seem to a newcomer that it is not fair - they could do the job but didn't have a chance to apply.

In reality they had exactly the same chance, just went about it the wrong way.

How have they had the same chance !! On one hand you have somebody who has been personally referred by a client and knows about the vacancy, the other person is completely in the dark. The only chance they have had is if they have just happened to be cold calling about jobs at that exact moment and even then they are up against the who you know syndrome. I'm not saying that they won't be after the best bookkeeper they can get, but that the net is only cast amongst their friends/asocciates/network. I know that's the way it is, but to think it's an even playing field is in my opinion, naive in the extreme.

If I returned to London I might want temporary office work. In London the vast majority of temporary work is handled by agencies. I wouldn't get much sympathy if I complained that I wasn't getting any temporary work but refused to contact these agencies because it wasn't the "Canadian" way of going about it.

That said, I found my first job here from answering a classified ad in the paper. You don't have to network to find a job, but it can sure help.

But these agencies aren't hidden away from a newcomer. They are in the high streets and advertising the jobs in the window. To get a job you're going to have to make contact with someone at some point

Academic qualifications are academic qualifications and I have never had, or seen, an issue with this. Licensing is different. I don't mind if a licensing body makes sure that people have the appropriate education and experience to do what they are asking to be paid for. It seems to be slowest where the licensing body also acts as a trade union for its members.

However, I do sometimes wonder if some posters think they should not have to go through the same processes as people from elsewhere in the world. After all, they have a British education which is obviously superior and should be quite good enough for a former colony. (Not aimed at you BTW - just an observation.)
I know what you mean and I have kind of lumped quals/experience etc all in together. Quals in non-licensed fields not so much an issue, but overseas experience still is IMO.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:43 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
To get a job you're going to have to make contact with someone at some point.
I think that is my point.

It is a game with different rules, but anyone can play.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:24 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

"networking" is a load of old bollocks. I wouldn't make an effort at it.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

But, (continuing with the games analogy), unless you're on the 'inside' the dice are loaded against you.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:37 am
Just Joined

karen1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MR79
Hi,

The way they employ people and then fire them is horrible and the whole hiring process is just pathetic and a complete waste of time, everyone should get a fair chance and all this rubbish networking crap is stupid. Alot of people from the Uk can do the jobs with their eyes closed yet the employers wont give them a chance or invite them for an interview and make a fool out of them by grilling them, or they make them start from the bottom again, which is horrible, and no real prospects of promotion...In BC if you dont have a good stable job or your own successful business, honestly its not worth the hassle, you may think you will have a better life, but what life will you have were you are stuggling and barely making ends meet, wouldnt you be better off moving somewhere in the Uk or to a better area and work harder at work to get a promotion or a better paid job......Just a few thoughts really....

MR79
Well I quite agree with you we have thought about going home but the lad does seem to like school here better than back home where he was struggling and getting no help from his teacher. As you say the way they work here is crap, my hubby has been welding back home for 23 years but as for BC he is not qualified, which does pee you off. when it is good enough for immergration to let us in but as for imployers you have no chance. The way we feel at the mo its a case of well you have spent up now bugger off back home.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:53 am
Just Joined

karen1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karen1972
Well I quite agree with you we have thought about going home but the lad does seem to like school here better than back home where he was struggling and getting no help from his teacher. As you say the way they work here is crap, my hubby has been welding back home for 23 years but as for BC he is not qualified, which does pee you off. when it is good enough for immergration to let us in but as for imployers you have no chance. The way we feel at the mo its a case of well you have spent up now bugger off back home.
So can someone tell me why some canadians go to England to college or uni because english education is apparently better, come back and get jobs, but when English come here there English qualifications mean nothing.And I know canadians that have done it. So yeh you do tend to get the attitude of its because we are British. And just because we are British we dont expect to be treated any differently. Or expect things to be handed on a plate.Fair play would be a good start though
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

oh...come come now!

sounds to me you are totally fed up with being there, so if thats the case, you should spend no time there and get back to merry old england asap, in my opinion!

jeez, you are worse than me, and i thought i was down in the dumps when i was there!

canada is canada --- its not england! thats the way things are done there, and if we dont like it, well, we should just move. its no good getting all moody about it. as someone has said, we cant expect special treatment just cos we're brits. far from it. you just have to take the rough with the smooth.

i dont know what ur situation is, but if hubby hasnt got a job, whats wrong with working 2 part-time jobs? i knew people working even 3 part time jobs when i was there, and they never moaned.

or if one of you has a job, the other one can go to night school or something and get a qualification in a field that will better ur chances for a job.

u really have to be on your toes there, as canada's not a nanny state at all....whereas here in the uk we get people from all over the world and they just dump themselves here and automatically get homes, car allowances, free mobile phones etc etc ....good luck to them, but its no good for the indigenous peeps who cant get naff all.
whether or not they have tried working rather than sponging off the state is another matter .

but there you are.....you picks your apples and eats them, or whatever they say! like it or lump it, or leg it out fast!
no hard feelings!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alan2005
"networking" is a load of old bollocks. I wouldn't make an effort at it.
Really, why are you even in Canada. You seem to hate it and everything that is done there.

I have news for you, if you have never networked and you work in any professional business whether in the UK, USA or Canada then you clearly have an attitude problem.

Networking is part of business life and if you see it as just bollocks then you are short-changing yourself and sending a clear negative message to management that you do not want to invest in your own career.

As a manager I look for those candidates who take their career seriously and are willing to network to educate themselves throughout life making them an asset that any organisation wants.

If you are young you can be forgiven for being nieve about the realities of working life, but once you hit 30 you have no excuss unless you are in a low paid job where progression prospects are low.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all

If feel if you move to a new country you must make yourself as knowledgable as possible on what will give you the best chances.

Moving to a remote location makes for finding a job difficult!

Moving when you have a profession which is highly regulated or unionised makes it difficult!

Not being flexible in what you are willing to do to become part of Canadian society will make it difficult!

Moving without a large sum of money as a backup will make it difficult!

We have to wake up and realise that generally speaking we need Canada more than it needs us.

My advice to this person is do your research and move to a major place where there is a high demand for the industries you work in. You are clearly setting yourself up for a fall by living in such a remote place doing jobs that do not seem to be in high demand.

You are right next to the US border, is that an option? Rather than coming back to the UK where things are getting worse by the week (and believe me it is).
Old Mar 1st 2011, 12:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_bacon_boy
Really, why are you even in Canada. You seem to hate it and everything that is done there.

I have news for you, if you have never networked and you work in any professional business whether in the UK, USA or Canada then you clearly have an attitude problem.

Networking is part of business life and if you see it as just bollocks then you are short-changing yourself and sending a clear negative message to management that you do not want to invest in your own career.

As a manager I look for those candidates who take their career seriously and are willing to network to educate themselves throughout life making them an asset that any organisation wants.

If you are young you can be forgiven for being nieve about the realities of working life, but once you hit 30 you have no excuss unless you are in a low paid job where progression prospects are low.
Are you winding us up with all this pro-active career oriented HR bollocks? Surely you must know that no one actually goes around "networking to educate". I think your views need coalescing with those of real world industry thought leaders, like Alan2005.

Furthermore, if you really "prefer to build relationships and invest in organisations that will invest in me so that we can achieve our core values which is to better our lives" you'd do better to distance yourself from the cheap beer and farting image projected by your name and avatar. The McKenzie brothers were not famously dedicated employees and neither were Maclean and Maclean.

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 1st 2011 at 12:10 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Are you winding us up with all this pro-active career oriented HR bollocks? Surely you must know that no one actually goes around "networking to educate". I think your views need coalescing with those of real world industry thought leaders, like Alan2005.

Furthermore, if you really "prefer to build relationships and invest in organisations that will invest in me so that we can achieve our core values which is to better our lives" you'd do better to distance yourself from the cheap beer and farting image projected by your name and avatar. The McKenzie brothers were not famously dedicated employees and neither were Maclean and Maclean.
My avatar is just a little bit of fun. Only an idiot would use anything that connects him to the real world. I used this picture because I remembered it being one of his (John Candy) last films and he was Canadian, thats it.

You and Alan2005 are negative in your opinions and that is your right. But the point here is that culturally Canada has more networking in how people find jobs. If you don't like it leave and come and work back in london.

You both have such negative attitudes to business and Canada and you may be right that I am believing something that may be just HR brainwashing. But crucially we are talking about someones ability to find a job, and faced with someone with such a negative attitude or someone who would rather see organisations as places who invest in people to further their own objectives (usually making money) then I know as a manager who I would employ.

No I do not believe it all, but a positive attitude which demonstrates to an organisation that your values and goals are aligned to that of the organisation will further your job prospects and career, even if it is not true.

Wise up, the corporations have the power, especially if you are new to a country, so stand on your soap box and see how many want to give you the time of day. As a 39 year old whose next career step is directorship of a large corporation's IT division I feel my attitude has worked for me. Lets just hope that neither you or Alan2005 apply for a job in any organisation that I am a manager in. We need people without an attitude to the realities of the IT industry not people who clearly have a chip on their shoulder.

Now lets leave this thread to deal with issue facing the people in grand forks.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I take all that as a complement - given you have no idea how old I am or what I do.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:02 pm

As a 39 year old whose next career step is directorship of a large corporation's IT division I feel my attitude has worked for me. Lets just hope that neither you or Alan2005 apply for a job in any organisation that I am a manager in. We need people without an attitude to the realities of the IT industry not people who clearly have a chip on their shoulder.
are you for real?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.