Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IMMIGRANTS IN BC

IMMIGRANTS IN BC

Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IMMIGRANTS IN BC

Originally Posted by canadian_bacon_boy
Lets just hope that neither you or Alan2005 apply for a job in any organisation that I am a manager in. We need people without an attitude to the realities of the IT industry not people who clearly have a chip on their shoulder.
Er, aren't you more likely to be applying to me?
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
Er, aren't you more likely to be applying to me?
Only if you are CEO of a large corporation which I doubt very much.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alan2005
are you for real?
Yes I am, very real.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Only if you are CEO of a large corporation which I doubt very much.
Not initially, but later, when you get the hang of this "job hunting in Canada" business.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 2:36 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Really, why are you even in Canada. You seem to hate it and everything that is done there.

I have news for you, if you have never networked and you work in any professional business whether in the UK, USA or Canada then you clearly have an attitude problem.

Networking is part of business life and if you see it as just bollocks then you are short-changing yourself and sending a clear negative message to management that you do not want to invest in your own career.

As a manager I look for those candidates who take their career seriously and are willing to network to educate themselves throughout life making them an asset that any organisation wants.

If you are young you can be forgiven for being nieve about the realities of working life, but once you hit 30 you have no excuss unless you are in a low paid job where progression prospects are low.

You are David Brent AICMFP!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You are David Brent AICMFP!
Shit, I've been ad!

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

karen1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Shit, I've been ad!

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Well for one we dont have a attitude problem. I look on the internet for jobs everyday. In Grand forks you cant even get a part time jobs. 2 major companys here have both just laid a load of people off. Which isnt good. As for us we have just moved to a new house. Had a major problem with our main sewer pipe which means our basement has to be dug up and the pipe replaced. Our house at the moment is unsellable. With no job the problem cant be fixed which means we are stuck here till we find work to fix the problem, then either look somewhere else to move to or go back home to shitty England. We do love Canada, we do love Grand forks, nice place to live if you can find work and keep it without keep being laid off. Lovely people all friendly. But it does have it problems, I surposed like some other places here in Canada. But I only know about our situation.

How we have been treated with different things, eg: work, credit history, no one here seems to know how things work, people are sometimes too laid back that they stop. We have been here 2 and half years and dont seem to be at the mo and closer to what we came to Canada for. Which was a better life for our children. A better life for us. At the mo we are struggling more here than what we did back home. The job he came over to do did not turn out to be what they made out. So at the mo we are slightly miffed at the way things have turned out. May be depression has set in I dont know. But I would be gutted if we had to go home. Because I would miss it here. Its just work and some peoples attitudes.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:32 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karen1972
Well for one we dont have a attitude problem. I look on the internet for jobs everyday. In Grand forks you cant even get a part time jobs. 2 major companys here have both just laid a load of people off. Which isnt good. As for us we have just moved to a new house. Had a major problem with our main sewer pipe which means our basement has to be dug up and the pipe replaced. Our house at the moment is unsellable. With no job the problem cant be fixed which means we are stuck here till we find work to fix the problem, then either look somewhere else to move to or go back home to shitty England. We do love Canada, we do love Grand forks, nice place to live if you can find work and keep it without keep being laid off. Lovely people all friendly. But it does have it problems, I surposed like some other places here in Canada. But I only know about our situation.

How we have been treated with different things, eg: work, credit history, no one here seems to know how things work, people are sometimes too laid back that they stop. We have been here 2 and half years and dont seem to be at the mo and closer to what we came to Canada for. Which was a better life for our children. A better life for us. At the mo we are struggling more here than what we did back home. The job he came over to do did not turn out to be what they made out. So at the mo we are slightly miffed at the way things have turned out. May be depression has set in I dont know. But I would be gutted if we had to go home. Because I would miss it here. Its just work and some peoples attitudes.
I have driven through Grand Forks quite a few times and it strikes me as a small and very isolated place. Although I don't know what your OH does there must be opportunities for employment in bigger towns or cities.

That leaves you with the no money to fix the sewer/unable to sell with the sewer unfixed problem. In other words, a short-term loan. If the bank will not offer an overdraft have you asked any of the local realtors? I know some in my area who will lend a client the money to fix up their home - as long, of course, as they get the money back as well as their commission when the house sells.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Grandslam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karen1972
Well I quite agree with you we have thought about going home but the lad does seem to like school here better than back home where he was struggling and getting no help from his teacher. As you say the way they work here is crap, my hubby has been welding back home for 23 years but as for BC he is not qualified, which does pee you off. when it is good enough for immergration to let us in but as for imployers you have no chance. The way we feel at the mo its a case of well you have spent up now bugger off back home.
I sometimes feel like this also, having had similar problems in BC.
What I will say is in my experience it is much easier to find work in Saskatchewan although most do not see it as high on the places to live list!