Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

illegaL immagrants in western canada

illegaL immagrants in western canada

Old Nov 28th 2011, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: illegaL immagrants in western canada

Yes I am quite aware of that phrase.
Look lets be honest our agency has what could be described as over zealous officers and I have worked with some who I have no control over.
Just recently one was sentenced to 5 yrs imprisonment for assisting Organized Crime members in smuggling Cocaine into Canada.
Every organization has its problem workers Police included.
I accept I am fair game to have shots taken at my profession no different to Liverpool or Man City supporters lol.
Take your shots but if you really want to engage in adult responses then at least show me the courtesy that you can be replied to in such a manner rather than the pot shots without backing up your claims as to why we are a bunch of whatever you describe us as.
I expect that lots of BE posters have had very positive experiences with CBSA and that others not so pleasant.
Treat me like a child then expect child like responses. Maybe some posters on the Immigration thread may have received good information on their queries and have personally thanked me.
Banter can be amusing at times but trash me then expect an appropriate response.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes I am quite aware of that phrase.
Look lets be honest our agency has what could be described as over zealous officers and I have worked with some who I have no control over.
Just recently one was sentenced to 5 yrs imprisonment for assisting Organized Crime members in smuggling Cocaine into Canada.
Every organization has its problem workers Police included.
I accept I am fair game to have shots taken at my profession no different to Liverpool or Man City supporters lol.
Take your shots but if you really want to engage in adult responses then at least show me the courtesy that you can be replied to in such a manner rather than the pot shots without backing up your claims as to why we are a bunch of whatever you describe us as.
I expect that lots of BE posters have had very positive experiences with CBSA and that others not so pleasant.
Treat me like a child then expect child like responses. Maybe some posters on the Immigration thread may have received good information on their queries and have personally thanked me.Banter can be amusing at times but trash me then expect an appropriate response.
I, for one, found your information on the duty and HST charged on parcels from the UK really helpful. So thank you for that.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Your comment is much appreciated.

I would also like to add that any member of the travelling public can lodge complaints against BSO's whereas we have no such mechanism in place to complain about them. We only have the options of seizing your goods when not declared or prohibited entry, arresting or detaining where circumstances prevail such as hindering or obstructing an officer in the execution of their duties.
Oh the officer was rude to me allows you to complain but the traveller telling me to Go **** myself or other such endearing terms I have to bite my tongue and wish them a pleasant day.
I bite my tongue almost everyday do you??????
Old Nov 28th 2011, 3:42 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I would also like to add that any member of the travelling public can lodge complaints against BSO's whereas we have no such mechanism in place to complain about them. We only have the options of seizing your goods when not declared or prohibited entry, arresting or detaining where circumstances prevail such as hindering or obstructing an officer in the execution of their duties.
That's because you work for us. I help pay your wages; you do not help pay mine.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:08 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Your comment is much appreciated.

Oh the officer was rude to me allows you to complain but the traveller telling me to Go **** myself or other such endearing terms I have to bite my tongue and wish them a pleasant day.
I bite my tongue almost everyday do you??????
Yes I do and I am 100% certain you paid far more than I do for your tongue biting experiences.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That's because you work for us. I help pay your wages; you do not help pay mine.
I wondering when the "I pay your wages" comment would rear its ugly head!
Surely, everyone is helping to pay everybody elses wages? After all, if I shop in a certain outlet, then I am helping to pay the wages of the staff in that shop, and also the wages of the people who made the item, the people who transport the goods to the shops, et al. Eventually, I may even be helping to put money in the pockets of the Alan2005 -- unless, of course, he is too "special" to sully his hands with the daily grind!
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:19 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Jees, you lot are a tough crowd. Why the animosity?

Its immigrations JOB to ask questions! Do you get pissy if the cops are holding up traffic with a RIDE stop and they ask you if you have been drinking?

Some of you are so up yourself with your own self importance it beggars belief sometimes.

Is it possible to live and work illegally in Canada? Im sure it must be, otherwise there are a lot of CIC workers on make work programs tracking them down. Not sure its a choice I would advocate though.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 28th 2011 at 5:41 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Jees, you lot are a tough crowd. Why the animosity?
+1
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
After all, if I shop in a certain outlet, then I am helping to pay the wages of the staff in that shop, and also the wages of the people who made the item, the people who transport the goods to the shops, et al.
Even the people who collect the taxes on those goods.

There's a difference though between recognising that an occupation is necessary to society and thinking well of the people who do that job. Tax collector, prostitute, traffic warden, lawyer, such people are not quite reputable however timeless their trade.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:26 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Love the phrase "That's because you work for us" A civil service friend years ago after getting tired of hearing that phrase, retorted " You only get what you pay for"
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:59 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned in another thread how frighteningly hopeless the privacy commissioner was in Alberta when I asked them about SIN cards.

Basically what I wanted to know was pretty simple, can I check the ID of someone I hire to make sure they are the person on the SIN card?

My God was it hard to get an answer to such a simple question. I got referred to the federal office, then back to Alberta and finally I got hold of some woman who basically said I should "have trust" that the person was representing themselves to me correctly at which point I burst out laughing. After that she said she would get back to me and basically the official position was that yes I can ask to see their ID, but I cannot require it unless it is required for some other job-related reason (e.g. they must have a DL in order to drive) and if they do present it, I cannot keep a record of it.

The general opinion I got from being passed around was that the Govt. seem to depend on the CRA to make sure that SINs are being used correctly.

Compare this to the US with their I-9 form, e-verify, etc.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:17 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
I wondering when the "I pay your wages" comment would rear its ugly head!
Surely, everyone is helping to pay everybody elses wages? After all, if I shop in a certain outlet, then I am helping to pay the wages of the staff in that shop, and also the wages of the people who made the item, the people who transport the goods to the shops, et al. Eventually, I may even be helping to put money in the pockets of the Alan2005 -- unless, of course, he is too "special" to sully his hands with the daily grind!
I think the point you are missing is that people don't get kidnapped and held under the threat of violence if they don't buy the things I produce.

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Love the phrase "That's because you work for us" A civil service friend years ago after getting tired of hearing that phrase, retorted " You only get what you pay for"
I'd say clearly, but in Canada government jobs seem to be the cushiest. Decent wages and decent 'defined benefit' pensions.

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 28th 2011 at 6:20 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:31 pm

Its immigrations JOB to ask questions!
The job is immoral. Anyone preventing an innocent person going where they want to go is behaving immorally. It doesn't matter if it's the law, or their job - it's still indefensible.

Do you get pissy if the cops are holding up traffic with a RIDE stop and they ask you if you have been drinking?
Not with the cops at the time cos they have too much power and seem to enjoy using it. But anyone driving normally who is stopped would be right to complain about the police holding them up in their private business.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:37 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The job is immoral. Anyone preventing an innocent person going where they want to go is behaving immorally. It doesn't matter if it's the law, or their job - it's still indefensible.

Not with the cops at the time cos they have too much power and seem to enjoy using it. But anyone driving normally who is stopped would be right to complain about the police holding them up in their private business.
I guess our outlooks differ considerably. My outlook is that if I am doing nothing wrong I have nothing to fear from government employees looking to catch people that are up to no good.

I'm pretty sure that the ones who are up to no good dont wear sloganed Tshirts to advertise the fact, so Im not really sure how the authorities are supposed to police things and protect the tax paying citizens interests unless they have suspicious minds and ask judicious questions from time to time as part of an overall strategy.

Im actually grateful when the cops hold up traffic for a RIDE check, I find it reassuring to know that they are doing something proactive to discourage the intoxicated from driving.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I guess our outlooks differ considerably. My outlook is that if I am doing nothing wrong I have nothing to fear from government employees looking to catch people that are up to no good.

I'm pretty sure that the ones who are up to no good dont wear sloganed Tshirts to advertise the fact, so Im not really sure how the authorities are supposed to police things and protect the tax paying citizens interests unless they have suspicious minds and ask judicious questions from time to time as part of an overall strategy.

Im actually grateful when the cops hold up traffic for a RIDE check, I find it reassuring to know that they are doing something proactive to discourage the intoxicated from driving.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.