Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you knew then what you do now would you still move to Canada?

If you knew then what you do now would you still move to Canada?

Old May 13th 2007, 4:42 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If you knew then what you do now would you still move to Canada?

If you knew when you went through the process how much stress it would bring, worry, upset, pressure on relationships and finances would you still go through it to get to where you are?

Was Canada worth it?
Old May 13th 2007, 5:00 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you knew then what you do now would you still move to Canada?

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
If you knew when you went through the process how much stress it would bring, worry, upset, pressure on relationships and finances would you still go through it to get to where you are?

Was Canada worth it?
no yes no yes no..... depends on the day
Old May 13th 2007, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dubai, soon will be in Toronto, afterwards... who know?!
Canaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Hard to answer...

But after this story end, I won't suspend my life for years like what is happening now

Good Luck to everyone

Canaway
Old May 14th 2007, 7:49 am
Suzy Q

Suzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud of

I guess so because you would always be wondering what if.

Anyway as my 90yr old Nana says what doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Old May 14th 2007, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

wapentake is an unknown quantity at this point

On balance, yes. Might have chosen somewhere else to sink roots - mainly because of GTA traffic and lack of great countryside on the doorstep. But for family life overall, it's a yes.
Old May 14th 2007, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Was Canada worth it?
YES!

Old May 14th 2007, 7:16 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Was Canada worth it?
Yes

so far.
Old May 14th 2007, 7:24 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

YES! Only been here 4 months and so far everything is going really well and everyone has settled in quickly and easily

Last edited by Cookie; May 14th 2007 at 7:26 pm. Reason: Forgot to say yes - numpty!
Old May 14th 2007, 8:11 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

YES
Old May 14th 2007, 8:23 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not British. My husband and I moved here from South Africa 30 years ago. From our point of view, it has been very worthwhile immigrating to Canada.

I don't know if that would be my opinion if I was British, however.

I guess it depends what's important to you. Sometimes you don't know what's important to you until you've actually moved away. Then you may find out, as some BE members have, that family is way more important than they had realised or that the proximity of Continental Europe is more important they they had realised or whatever.

On the other hand, there are other BE members who say that, after decades of being away from the UK, they have not missed their family or anything else back there.

I'll repeat that, given where I come from, I consider the move to Canada to have been worthwhile on balance.

But I also feel that we have acquired Canada's safety and security at the cost of some other aspects of life that we would have enjoyed.

I grew up in a close extended family of many aunts, uncles and cousins. Every year we used to have a month's holiday at the seaside with several of my dad's siblings and their spouses and children. Since I've come to Canada I've had much rarer contact, not only with my grandparents, parents and siblings, but also with those aunts, uncles and cousins who mean a great deal to me.

Although we've taken our kids to South Africa a few times and although several rellies have visited us here, the contacts still have been sporadic enough that my kids, who now are in their twenties, don't really understand what aunts, uncles and cousins are. During a visit from one of my husband's first cousins, our then-teenaged son introduced her to one of his friends as his dad's sister.

Another source of frustration is vacations (holidays). One doesn't get that much annual leave in Canada. Then, on top of that, we have spent a good chunk of our vacations either visiting our overseas rellies or taking them sight seeing when they've come to visit us. We're lucky enough to live near the gorgeous Rocky Mountains, and I never tire of them. Still, we have returned again and again and again and again and again to the same "must see" spots in the Rockies, taking wave after wave of visiting rellies sight seeing.

There are many other places, both in Canada and overseas, that we have not managed to visit because our time and money has been used on visiting rellies abroad and showing rellies around our neck of the woods when they come here.

Another big issue is the illness and death of elderly parents. My not being able to get back to South Africa for my dad's funeral was a low point for me.

Would I emigrate to Canada if I had it to do all over again, if I had known then what I know now? The answer for me is, "Yes." But then that's in the context of my having moved from South Africa. I cannot say how I would feel about it if I had been British.
Old May 14th 2007, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dubai, soon will be in Toronto, afterwards... who know?!
Canaway is an unknown quantity at this point

your reply is too much appreciated
Old May 14th 2007, 8:53 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Was Canada worth it?
YES
Old May 14th 2007, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Was Canada worth it?
Has been so far
Old May 15th 2007, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

tobapaul is an unknown quantity at this point

YES
Old May 16th 2007, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

ross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant future

Was Canada worth it?
For the kids - yes, they love their school, have loads of friends, lots more to do and would hate to move back.

Me - no, loved it here to begin with but am nearly 2 years on and realise all the things in my life that I gave up, I miss my Mum and now shes too ill to come and visit again,my friends,the job I loved, the beaches,the great tv,the food(little things you miss more when the big things you miss a lot)
If it wasn't for the kids I would happily trade in our 6 bed home and hot tub for a 2 bed terrace in England!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.