Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you knew then what you do now would you still move to Canada?

If you knew then what you do now would you still move to Canada?

Old May 20th 2007, 1:41 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you knew then what you do now would you still move to Canada?

Originally Posted by Liana
I should have said per capita - they are the highest per capita in the developed world because of the use of coal produced electricity. Here is an article and SMH is a good paper- article from 2004 but the latest reports from May 2007 show that the emissions are the same as 2004. This news was also on CBC a few weeks ago if I remember.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...245110190.html

http://www.environment.gov.au/minist...mr02may207.pdf

Well, there's not much in it wrt per capita emissions: AU, US and CND are all bad. Here's that latest figures: warning lots of detailed tables and such:

http://unfccc.int/files/essential_ba...booklet_06.pdf

Nonetheless, your contention that AU will (or should?) suffer disproportionately is nonsense. (Pity, really)
Old May 20th 2007, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

nigelonline is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Liana
The only problem with that area is the huge distance from everywhere else and if you have family visiting you it can be hard for them- long flights create problems for DVT.

And right now we wouldn't have any great water supplies if we lived there and with global warming I suspect Australia is going to be one of the world's greatest victims because they are already the highest producers of greenhouse gas emissions.

Just think we will have all the water that everyone else wants in the world and we will have warmer winters- maybe, who knows!
And also despite the environmental problems, Canada wont be held to ransom by foreign oil/petrol/gas suppliers like Europe will probably be in the future. Russia is understandably flexing its economic muscle and perhaps adding a new meaning to the phrase "Cold-War"
I had to buy some new garden fencing here in the U.K after some winter gales that we had. The fencing supplier said that they had sold out and didnt know when they would get new stock. I asked why ? and was told that there was a worldwide Timber shortage. A lot of the European timber i.e now goes to China to support the massive growth over there. - I dont think this will worry Canada will it ?
Old May 20th 2007, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nigelonline
And also despite the environmental problems, Canada wont be held to ransom by foreign oil/petrol/gas suppliers like Europe will probably be in the future. Russia is understandably flexing its economic muscle and perhaps adding a new meaning to the phrase "Cold-War"
I had to buy some new garden fencing here in the U.K after some winter gales that we had. The fencing supplier said that they had sold out and didnt know when they would get new stock. I asked why ? and was told that there was a worldwide Timber shortage. A lot of the European timber i.e now goes to China to support the massive growth over there. - I dont think this will worry Canada will it ?
Have you seen the pricing of fencing in Canada???? Or any wood product here, it's expensive. For a place that's full of trees, it certainly isn't cheap.
Old May 20th 2007, 2:45 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
Last night, my 8 year old son said that if he was staying for Grade 4 he would be in the leadership committee so I said "ok, you stay then " and you should have seen his face, it had a big frown on it. "No thanks" he said, I want to go home and be with my nanny and grandad. That said it all for me.
we have this from time to time, the main reason, and possibly the same, is that grandparents allow endless sweet eating and tv watching without a piece of broccoli in sight.
i'd rather have them on the committee. its tough being a parent, you can't be a friend all the time, sometimes you have to make them 'ave it, as i'm sure you know.

i go in 3 weeks, in answer to the question. despite now going alone for goodness knows how long until mrs rae sells house and joins me, answer has to be yes. better to try and fail than not at all.
Old May 20th 2007, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rae
we have this from time to time, the main reason, and possibly the same, is that grandparents allow endless sweet eating and tv watching without a piece of broccoli in sight.
i'd rather have them on the committee. its tough being a parent, you can't be a friend all the time, sometimes you have to make them 'ave it, as i'm sure you know.

i go in 3 weeks, in answer to the question. despite now going alone for goodness knows how long until mrs rae sells house and joins me, answer has to be yes. better to try and fail than not at all.
I'd rather they had the close bond with their grandparents than be on the leadership committee. Anyway, who knows what their new school will do, they might offer the same. I'm glad I did try Canada, as I found out things about myself, it's been a good learning experience. You have to try to know and everyone is unique in their needs.