Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you could do it all over again....

If you could do it all over again....

Old Dec 6th 2011, 11:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could do it all over again....

Originally Posted by jimf
Is London/Birmingham 2011 very much different to Toronto/Vancouver2011. Is UK 2011 very much different to Canada 2011? I suspect not.
No idea and no particular interest.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:01 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
So what do you suggest that someone who is bored (and homesick) in a foreign country do? Anyone who is bored yet doesn't get up and out to do something about it should say that.
Move to another one. My brackets around homesick.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

So where are you off to Novocastrian?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:14 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

So what do you suggest that someone who is bored and homesick in a foreign country do? Anyone who is bored yet doesn't get up and out to do something about it should say that. It certainly puts all their whining into perspective for everyone else. Maybe that inability or unwillingness to help themselves is the real source of their unhappiness and not the country they find themselves in.
Who can be arsed to do all this? Is it too much to just want to go to the pub for a few pints after work? I don't want to volunteer or get a hobby (unless it involves an allotment).
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

So what do you suggest that someone who is bored and homesick in a foreign country do? Anyone who is bored yet doesn't get up and out to do something about it should say that. It certainly puts all their whining into perspective for everyone else. Maybe that inability or unwillingness to help themselves is the real source of their unhappiness and not the country they find themselves in.
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Move to another one. My brackets around homesick.
That's certainly a good idea!
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:20 am
Born again atheist

That's certainly a good idea!
Good. I'm glad we agree on something however trivial.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Who can be arsed to do all this? Is it too much to just want to go to the pub for a few pints after work? I don't want to volunteer or get a hobby (unless it involves an allotment).
Certainly nothing wrong with that. What gets me is the people who expect everyone else to want to listen to them whining about being bored. And then they moan and bitch about the country they live in while at the same time they're unable (or unwilling) to get up and do something about it. If you're bored, it's your own fault. Go fix it.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:33 am
Born again atheist

If you're bored, it's your own fault. Go fix it.
I don't think you're listening. I'm not bored with what I do, or with my friends, with my family, or with my house.

I'm bored with Canada (and North America in general). It's just bloody boring. How do you suggest I fix it? I tried voting and a bit of activism here and there, but it's like screaming in a gagged straight jacket.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't think you're listening. I'm not bored with what I do, or with my friends, with my family, or with my house.

I'm bored with Canada (and North America in general). It's just bloody boring. How do you suggest I fix it? I tried voting and a bit of activism here and there, but it's like screaming in a gagged straight jacket.
Have you tried getting professional help?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

What exactly about it bores you?
I don't find much to interest me in the prevailing North American culture. Luckily i work out in the wilderness so i don't have to put up with it :P Plus when i'm back at home i always seem to be able to find something hidden away to interest me, be it lawn bowling clubs (yep i'm weird like that), pubs that do quizzes etc. Actually i intend to organise games tournaments in one of the local pubs.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the times I have no regrets and would do it again in a heatbeat.

Unlike many, I have plenty of vacation time more than I ever did in the UK. I work for a great company, i have a beautiful home, the family is happy and we have many good friends from all parts of the world.

But sometimes, when it is the middle of a winter that seems neverending and it is minus 30 with ice and snow everywhere and I have to go to work, or the middle of summer and I am being eaten alive by mosquitoes ... I wonder why I ever left the UK. If you asked me then, my answer might be different.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
If anything for us we would have come sooner rather than later

No intentions of going back to the UK but will be happier once PR is sorted
^^^^^^Ditto ^^^^^^
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:04 am
Born again atheist

Have you tried getting professional help?
I'm a professional. I'm good at self help. In this case it involves moving to France.

Simples.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:06 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by ergyngfeld
I don't find much to interest me in the prevailing North American culture. Luckily i work out in the wilderness so i don't have to put up with it :P Plus when i'm back at home i always seem to be able to find something hidden away to interest me, be it lawn bowling clubs (yep i'm weird like that), pubs that do quizzes etc. Actually i intend to organise games tournaments in one of the local pubs.
Lawn bowling? Pub quizzes? Mainstream Canadian culture I suppose.

Stick to the wilderness, I'm used to it.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:20 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ergyngfeld
That sounds boring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.