Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you could do it all over again....

If you could do it all over again....

Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:07 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could do it all over again....

Yes. Despite moving from the Cotswolds we mostly like it here. Some things are less convenient even compared to living in a small village in the Cotswolds but generally our costs are overall similar if a little lower ( except food ).

I would move back to where I was but have no intention of doing so.

Last edited by Tangram; Dec 6th 2011 at 2:32 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:10 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we would without a doubt

We moved in 2006 - both of us in our late 40's. Left behind a 34 year old son (who couldn't understand why we were moving away from him and then, three years later, proceeded to up sticks and live in Austria - long story!)

We settled into a great neighborhood (all Canadian), have met some wonderful people and have travelled extensively through Western Canada and mid-west US. I landed a great job in a very small company that has exceeded all my expectations. Enjoy my work colleagues and new friends. Maybe we have been lucky but I have never experienced a lack of humour, missed any particular foods, enjoy the bit of TV that we do watch and basically just try to enjoy all the different aspects of life in Canada.

It hasn't all been rosy - my husband's mobility (never particularly good) took a turn for the worse just before we came to Canada, which meant that he hasn't been able to do some of the leisure activities that he wanted to take up. He has only worked at occasional part-time jobs - something that we hadn't planned on, especially financially. He suffers from chronic neuropathic pain plus other complications which is an emotional drain on us but hey life's what you make it.

After five year's away I went back to Dorset in the summer for a couple of weeks and frankly that was enough. It was lovely to catch up with people but I found it much busier than I remember, we spent hours in tourist traffic jams, and everywhere appeared somewhat grubby. Didn't experience any abuse or vandalism but somehow sensed an underlying layer of discontent. Difficult to articulate but there seemed to be a level of tension everywhere.

Yes, we miss family and old friends and occasionally get a touch of nostalgia over our previous life in England but we ARE happy here. For us we landed here at the right time of our life - no grandchildren to miss, no (very) elderly parents to worry about and a son that was standing on his own two feet.

So if we would do it all over again? Yes, in a heartbeat. We are making the third quarter of our life's journey a fabulous one and grasping all the opportunities we can. And no, we don't live in some "pollyanna" world ... we are realistic and know that life is going to be shorter for one of us than we had planned so we try not to let the fact that you can't get tomato sauce in a tube get us down.

Live in Canada? Live in England? Live wherever you desire .... but don't live with regret. Life is far too short.

Have fun whatever you decide to do and have a wonderful Christmas! J
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:21 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingle
Yes we would without a doubt

Live in Canada? Live in England? Live wherever you desire .... but don't live with regret. Life is far too short.

)
I love that!
Old Dec 6th 2011, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I would do it all over again. I think it's been hugely beneficial for the kids to see different countries and gain a more international view of the world. They each have 4 different citizenships partly due to our travels and that might open some doors for them later in life.

I still miss friends and family and certain aspects of life in the UK such as fish & chips, good beer, pub (esp. Ploughman's) lunches, quality chocolate, good Indian curries, football (soccer), more quality TV and newspapers, the wicked sense of humour (including sarcasm), easy access to Europe, etc.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Have you not got PR yet? I would have thought that an old timer like yourself would have had it for ages. Same here we are waiting on ours, partly our fault for not sending it off sooner but shall feel very relaxed once we have it as the question still pops into my head regularly "what if we don't get it??"
It took a while for his employer to write us a letter of employment and then we sent application off and sent back to us then then went missing so did another application and then both turned up so not sure what date they are using for our application but both was pre June 2010 so hoping for the next 12 months but not going to hold my breath
Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:23 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

yes no yes no yes no....

The family and I have been here 4 and a half years and yes I have been very homesick for 3 and a half of those, but, I don't think I can regret moving here as I have met many great people and experienced living in a different Country.

So, I don't know if I would do it all again. Possibly not, I probably would have moved elsewhere in England.

I do not hate it here I actually think NS and Canada in general is a wonderful Country with stunning scenery and lovely people. For me, at this time anyway, it is not where I want to be but who knows what the future brings?

It is in my blood to travel and I love doing so but I think in future I will stick to holidays
Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely do it again.

There are one or two things that I might do differently, but we would still have moved here.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:20 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I love that!
Thanks Howe family. I was feeling a little philosophical this morning and perhaps went a bit OTT with my reply. It's a funny time of the year

J
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
We have been here 9 months now and yes we would do it again. Thats mainly because I am now living where I wanted to live my whole life and am enjoying finding out more about it. Before it was a dream with all the dream aspects that come with that. The reality is different to my view of what it would be like (a bit) but nevertheless is good.
My hubby loves it here and is a changed man, before he wouldnt do much outdoors but would lie on the sofa alot watching the footie. He didnt really go out much even. Here, hes out in the yard chopping wood, hanging Christmas lights, fixing things etc etc, hes really taken this whole lifestyle in his stride and we are doing more as a family.
The girls are free-er here, I dont have to take them somewhere for them to be outside, they just are.

Would I do it all again? Yes. I love England and miss alot of it, if I had had enough money there to live in a little chocolate box village I may have found it harder to leave, but we didnt and never would have had that kind of chance.
To me, all that comes with North America is what I am wholeheartedly embracing (except for the cost of groceries!)
That's the nub of it. If you live on a sink-hole estate in the UK anywhere in Canada with the exception of Saskatchewan or Manitoba, is going to seem great, but if you live in a nice village, with nice neighbours and a good job Canada is going to seem a bit crap in comparison.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Sarah77 will become famous soon enough

Hi - just read these replies ... quite negative! I'm really excited about emigrating to Canada so a little disappointed reading those. I'm going on my tod though so less at stake and less people to consider. I think I'm going to love it!
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:34 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah77
Hi - just read these replies ... quite negative! I'm really excited about emigrating to Canada so a little disappointed reading those. I'm going on my tod though so less at stake and less people to consider. I think I'm going to love it!
Seems an even split to me not negative at all.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah77
Sarah you are coming onto an internet forum where there are people who are sarcastic, kind, cantankerous, genuine, rude, helpful etc etc
You could put some of these people in an ideal place with everything going for them and they would still complain about something
Who cares if you find it hard to get a Galaxy bar, a decent pint, proper fish and chips etc you could always subscribe to a site like this and moan

Its what you make of it not what other people think be they right or wrong.

Now I can sit back and watch Chelski get stuffed in the Champions League
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Sarah77 will become famous soon enough

ha ha thanks former Lancastrian, fair point.
I think I'm going to love it, I want to come now...but have to wait for my visa ....ooh, and small point, get a job!! I think I'll aim for Quebec ... love French and the snow!
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:36 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely I would do it again. I've been in Canada since 1969 and it's been very good to me. I have never felt "homesick" or wanted to return to the UK to live.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:40 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
Hi Guys!!

Hope you are all ready for Christmas and are looking forward to it

It seems that a lot of people suggest to us newcomers that we should move elsewhere in the UK instead of Canada.

Just wondering if you could do it all over again after knowing what you do now, would you have still moved to Canada or somewhere else in the UK?

Hope you all have a great Christmas!!
I find that a very difficult question, mainly because the move has been much better for my husband than for me.

Neither of us like living in Alberta, but he enjoys his job, and since he is a Canadian, he's enjoyed having more contact with his family in BC and Ottawa than he had from the UK. I've spent most of the last five years being bored, homesick, and sometimes a bit frightened.

However, I also recognise there have been some advantages in being here. We've had better health care than we had in the UK, although that seems to have been due to chance. I've also enjoyed the library system in Alberta. I've made friends and being here has widened my horizons a little.

Most importantly, we will enjoy a better retirement in the UK as a result of spending a few years here, because we will be financially better off. But meanwhile 8 years of my life has gone by, and when we return, we will have to set up a new home yet again, and re-forge relationships in our community.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.