Reload this Page >

IEC Canada *not visa info*

IEC Canada *not visa info*

Old May 26th 2012, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Gazza292 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC Canada *not visa info*

Hi all

There's lots of post about the visa process and what stage people are at but I'm really sick of waiting for my LOi now so wanted to take my mind off it.

So who's going on the IeC this year. What are your plans destinations, jobs etc etc.

And for people that have already gone how you finding it? Any advice I.e phones, general dos and donts?

When my visa comes through I plan to head into Vancouver I already have a job offer in the chilcotin mountains on a ranch which I should have
Ready. Started ...thank Canadian embassy I'm aimin for around June and flying from London anyone int the same boat would be good to get intouch as I'm doing it alone so a fellow person to be bricking it with would be nice .

Gareth *currently cooking himself sunbathing in Milton keynes*
Old May 26th 2012, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Jennika is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC Canada *not visa info*

I only just recieved my NOR a week ago so whether I get my visa this year or not is still very up in the air! If I do get it tho I think I am headed for either Calgary and Toronto - I have friends/family in both places but more familiar with Toronto - plus I absolutely love the place.

I'll probably stay with my aunt for a while before I can find my own place and get a job. Ideally I'd want a job with an NGO or green organisation (something related to my degree) but considering it's hard enough doing that here it'd probably be twice as hard abroad! So willing to do anything that comes my way.

But as I said I actually need a visa first!

Working on a ranch sounds cool - what type of ranch?
Old May 27th 2012, 1:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a WHV, have you thought about volunteering in a "green" environment?

http://www.gointernational.ca/progra...er-canada.aspx
Old May 27th 2012, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Jennika is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't actually - thanks for the info - I know for some jobs you need to do a few months of volunteering first - do you think that would be the case in terms of going into the environmental/green energy sector?
Old May 27th 2012, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Gazza292 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah that link does look good ties in with my degree too veterinary science/welfare sector. Sadly I couldn't afford to do it.

The ranch ill be working on is a guest/training site for people wanting training in wilderness survival, riding, hiking qualifications etc etc

They do riding tours, wildlife guides, fishing, hiking, log cabin building etc etc etc
Old May 27th 2012, 3:24 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I found quite a few opportunities for volunteering online, here are a couple (and they are free).

http://volunteer.rcen.ca/ Lists volunteer positions available in the environmental field; select Canada from dropdown.

http://www.planetfriendly.net/volunt...volunteer.html

http://goodworkcanada.ca/

Old May 27th 2012, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Gareth,

I was thinking of applying to the exact same ranch to work! I've got some experience in conservation, wildlife tourism and have ridden horses for years. Due to people having babies/getting married etc I wont be heading over until October, although I have my LOI.

Any advice on things that I should say when I apply? They seem like pretty cool people to work with! I hope you get your LOI soon and get out there - we should keep in touch and let me know how you get on!

Caroline
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 9:47 am
Just Joined

supersaqib is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gazza, I got my LOI only a few days ago... i'm moving to Toronto in 9 days, i have an Internship setup with a company called SideFx in the downtown area. Still looking for a place to live but i think that gonna happen once i'm there. Should be all good.

I'm pretty excited and cant wait to dive into the Canadian culture. Would be cool to meet some fellow brits whilst i'm out there.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

UK_Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all!

I'm heading to Toronto in July! I have family there to stay with but no job lined up as yet, hoping that will all come together once I'm there!

Be great to meet up with some Brits in the same situation!

Quick question guys, with the IEC do we need to take things like doctors/dental records??

Gazza, I'm only a short drive from MK!! I live near wellingborough!!! And currently drowning as that bit of sun we had seems to have disappeared....roll on July for some Canadian sunshine!!
Old Nov 24th 2012, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

James_88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey can anyone tell me or help at all I am in Canada on my first year , and I brought over a uk police certificate with me to send off for 2013 and it has my uk adress but its valid anyway is that ok to send off with 2013 application ? Thanks
Old Nov 24th 2012, 5:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James_88
Hey can anyone tell me or help at all I am in Canada on my first year , and I brought over a uk police certificate with me to send off for 2013 and it has my uk adress but its valid anyway is that ok to send off with 2013 application ? Thanks
It's valid for a year, so if older than that you'll need a new one. See the FAQ page on the IEC website for full info.

HTH.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Kraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to allKraven is a name known to all

I'm aiming to go to Toronto around April time, I have no job lined up and was not planning on looking for a job until i get there. Is this a bad idea? I've got funds to last me 2-3 months.

Also I am currently looking at places to stay, unsure whether to share a place or to pay the extra ( quite a lot extra ) and rent an apartment for myself.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 9:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

James and Kraven, it might be better if you asked any IEC related questions on the main thread, rather than a 6 month old one.

I'll close this thread now.

Thx.