Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Opinions on some locations

Opinions on some locations

Old Nov 23rd 2012, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

JoeJK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opinions on some locations

I just typed up a huge post for this, then somehow accidentally deleted it.

Not happy!

Basically, it was a longer winded version of this:

Next year, or perhaps the year after, I'm planning on heading over to Canada on an IEC visa.

I've posted some threads asking about some of this before, but after some helpful replies (thank you!) and some research on my part, I have more direction now and have started to select some places that I may want to settle at. I spent some hours last night reading the wiki, and googling, so I have found some places that I like the sound of, but I would like some of you helpful folks to put me straight if I'm way off the mark etc. or offer me some alternatives that I may (or definitely WILL) have missed.

I'm ideally looking for somewhere that has warm summers with plenty of sun, and cold winters with plenty of snow (like they used to be in the UK...) and culture wise, I'm into a lot of creative hobbies (art, photography, literature etc), so I would like somewhere with plenty of that kind of vibe.

Right now, I'm working in a ground level clerical role for a bank that I've been stuck in for six years due to recruitment/promotion freezes etc. and am about to be made redundant, so I feel like it's time for a huge change. I don't want to do the whole office thing again, so I'm aiming at perhaps retail/bar work or maybe something in the tourism side of things (kind of liking the idea of something outside...). The plus side is that my redundancy payment will give me enough money to be able to move around a bit first, checking these places out, and also it should leave me with some money in the bank that can supplement any income I get and ease the strain when it comes to bills etc.

So, I'll just list some places here along with why the appeal to me, based on what I have read:

Calgary - this one was the first I looked into and it immediately called out "Come on down!" because it looks like a nice, lively city with decent job prospects and plenty of activities. The scenery also looks amazing etc. with good access to places to hike/bike/camp etc. so that is a big plus. I have read, however that it is one of the more "conservative" cities in Canada, which might go against the sort of bohemian/arty vibe I'm looking for.

Vancouver - looked into this one after Calgary and it seems to be a laid back type of place still with plenty of activities and scenery etc. although it will be harder to find work and will be more expensive. It seems to have a very open/progressive attitude towards things (I have specifically read about gay marriage and marijuana use), which I think says good things about the lifestyle, even if the issues don't apply directly to me.

Regina - seems to be more like a quieter, small town type of place, but it apparently has lots of lakes etc and has a good, relatively chilled/happy attitude. The climate is also a plus here, because I love snow!

Montreal - I'm mainly just curious about this place. Not really sure what else to say I do really want to train at the 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu gym there, though, so I suppose I'm looking for an excuse to live there other than just that!

As a final disclaimer, I'm still really just bouncing ideas around here (these are really just the cities I've came across, semi randomly so far), so please don't take this as me simply naively wanting to jump right in and head to these places because of wild, baseless ideas and misconceptions. I both expect and welcome any alternative suggestions and advice.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Last edited by JoeJK; Nov 23rd 2012 at 7:24 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions on some locations

Originally Posted by JoeJK
Calgary - this one was the first I looked into and it immediately called out "Come on down!" because it looks like a nice, lively city with decent job prospects and plenty of activities. The scenery also looks amazing etc. with good access to places to hike/bike/camp etc. so that is a big plus. I have read, however that it is one of the more "conservative" cities in Canada, which might go against the sort of bohemian/arty vibe I'm looking for.
I have not lived in Calgary but the implression I get is that the City is a lot more cosmopolitan and liberal minded than the surrounding countryside.

Vancouver - looked into this one after Calgary and it seems to be a laid back type of place still with plenty of activities and scenery etc. although it will be harder to find work and will be more expensive. It seems to have a very open/progressive attitude towards things (I have specifically read about gay marriage and marijuana use), which I think says good things about the lifestyle, even if the issues don't apply directly to me.
Vancouver gets a reputation of being expensive but in reality that is only if you are looking to buy property here. Wages will be a little lower than Calgary but judging from other threads at the moment it seems that the cost of living is no higher. Do you like the sea? There is no sea in Calgary. However, Calgary has significantly lower precipition. I like it here.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver won't have the hot hot summers and neither the cold winters. The weather is more like in the UK. Our mate just moved there and he said for the past 2 months the weather was worse than it used to be back in Manchester and you know what that means...RAIN!!!

Montreal is a nice city. Lots of bars and nightlife, close to Mont Tremblant for skiing. Summers are warm and it's cold with snow in winter. My stepmum's uncle lives in Calgary and spends all summer in his cottage on a lake near Montreal due to the nicer weather in summer. You don't really need French to live there but it might be tricky to find a job with no French language abilities.

Have you though about Toronto? It's a great city. Lot's going on, hot summer, cold winter, directly located at lake Ontario, which is not the seaside but when you are at the beach there you wouldn't know it's not the sea, that's how big it is. Plus cheap flights back to the UK, and the US not far.

Last edited by ninaDGBCA; Nov 24th 2012 at 12:01 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 10:46 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Kingston Ontario
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 10:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I just typed up a huge post for this, then somehow accidentally deleted it.

Thanks in advance!

Joe
You actually managed a more long winded version of that? I'm impressed.

Let me précis. "I fancy moving to Canada but I've no idea where to go".

I'm sure someone has asked that before.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 11:26 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Culture, lots of snow, hot summers, liberal, have a look at Montreal.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

JoeJK is an unknown quantity at this point

I named four specific cities in the post, so I do have an "idea" where to go, I just wanted some opinions from people who have been to/lived in those places to give me an idea if they're actually anything like how I imagine them to be after reading about them.

I have looked a little at Toronto but not as much as the others.

What do you think it'll be like finding work in Toronto and Montreal? (bearing in mind I don't speak French yet, but I'll definitely learn as much as I can before/during my time there if I decide to go).
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 11:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I named four specific cities in the post, so I do have an "idea" where to go, I just wanted some opinions from people who have been to/lived in those places to give me an idea if they're actually anything like how I imagine them to be after reading about them.

What do you think it'll be like finding work in Toronto and Montreal? (bearing in mind I don't speak French yet, but I'll definitely learn as much as I can before/during my time there if I decide to go).
Toronto would be easier to find work than Montreal (language and economy); both are great starting points for Canada. Calgary is not as conservative as it was, and by the same token Vancouver is not as laid back as it was. Vancouver is not a good choice if you like snow, unless you want to work at Whistler where you will get lots of it. Regina is a small friendly city, but you really are miles (as in thousands, not hundreds) from anywhere!

Much wil depend on the type of work you want to do.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 12:10 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Toronto would be easier to find work than Montreal (language and economy); both are great starting points for Canada. Calgary is not as conservative as it was, and by the same token Vancouver is not as laid back as it was. Vancouver is not a good choice if you like snow, unless you want to work at Whistler where you will get lots of it. Regina is a small friendly city, but you really are miles (as in thousands, not hundreds) from anywhere!

Much wil depend on the type of work you want to do.
Or any of the three ski resorts located within the city limits. In Vancouver it snows in the mountains, not in the city by and large. I always look on this as a plus.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver is I think the city with the most rain in Canada and very UK like temps summer and winter.

Calgary is defo in a beautiful location and it does get warm in summer and cold in winter although the weather seems to be more inconsistent and the lakes never warm up as much as they do over here, if you like swimming.

I would say with the criteria given: hot summer, cold winter incl snow, lively city, outdoor stuff to do, and some culture Toronto and Montreal would suit you best.
Most people in Montreal are able to speak English if they actually do it is a hit and miss

So Toronto would be an easier option for finding work.
I love Toronto,it's lively, lot's of nice neighbourhoods, bars, chinatown, lake Ontario on your door step, defo in the high 20's to mid 30's in summer and guaranteed snow in winter.
Quinte Region is not far with Sandbanks and the surrounding area being really pretty.
Niagara Falls is not far although once you've done you don't need to go back lol.

http://www.toronto.com/

P.s. I don't get paid to advertise Toronto
Old Nov 24th 2012, 2:10 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I named four specific cities in the post, so I do have an "idea" where to go, .

And now you've named five. How many cities are there? Seven?
Old Nov 24th 2012, 1:11 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
And now you've named five. How many cities are there? Seven?
Six if you include Kingston, which I thought was a good suggestion.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 3:26 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

According to my aussie coworker, who just came back from Montreal, the women there loooooved his accent. So I'd pick Montreal based on the pulling-birds factor. Vancouver women look great and all but are kinda snobby.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 4:02 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by bats
Six if you include Kingston, which I thought was a good suggestion.
Kingston? Does it have anything going for it? You can start including Halifax, St Johns, Saskatoon, and Edmonton if you go to smaller cities.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 4:11 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Shard
Kingston? Does it have anything going for it? You can start including Halifax, St Johns, Saskatoon, and Edmonton if you go to smaller cities.
Kingston. He wanted bohemian, arty farty stuff. There's plenty there and in the area. He wanted sun and snow, it gets that. Has the lake, for sailing/boating diving stuff. It has martial arts stuff and near enough to Montreal so he can visit. It has good curry houses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.