Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IEC bank account set up

IEC bank account set up

Old Jan 10th 2014, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute
Default IEC bank account set up

anybody looking for banking help, I have just set up a hsbc account in the UK after falling out with Halifax, and with a hsbc account for £100 or £50 depending on your account type they will set you up with a Canadian one so when you land go into a branch of your choice Calgary, Vancouver or wherever and pick up debit card cheque book and have an account ready.

can take a month or so depending when you want to leave!
Old Jan 10th 2014, 5:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC bank account set up

Originally Posted by wardy_1990
anybody looking for banking help, I have just set up a hsbc account in the UK after falling out with Halifax, and with a hsbc account for £100 or £50 depending on your account type they will set you up with a Canadian one so when you land go into a branch of your choice Calgary, Vancouver or wherever and pick up debit card cheque book and have an account ready.

I moved your post to the main Canada forum as it isn't immigration related.

You could also apply online with several of the Canadian banks before moving over and activate the account on arrival - Canadian banks will give you the debit card at the same time.

http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,6195,00.html "Apply for an account before moving to Canada."

Old Jan 10th 2014, 6:17 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

what do mean £50 - £100 is that how much it will cost to set up the account in canada?

Their accounts still charge a monthly fee in Canada. Which one did you get?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

no £50 to 100 from uk, and its charge free for 12 months because were on working visas,

did not know that siouxie thanks for moving
Old Jan 10th 2014, 10:43 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

no £50 to 100 from uk, and its charge free for 12 months because were on working visas,

did not know that siouxie thanks for moving
oh silly me, I get it now, thats what you need to open the account with :S

might look into that as I have been with them for awhile
Old Jan 10th 2014, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

if you have been with them for 12 months they will transfer your credit history, gutted I just switched my credit history is the dogs at Halifax, its the free charge for 12 months that attracted me, your best going into a branch they knew it all and looked as though they had done it before near me.. think they have a guide they follow online
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

Summary of Canadian banks I've dealt with, if you don't go for HSBC:

Scotiabank
-Free for the first year (unlimited transactions)
-Collect scene points with your debit card i.e. free movie tickets!
-ATMs in All 7Elevens and London Drugs
-No Visa card, if you want one you need to put money down on a credit card
-You can withdraw from your UK Barclays account with no charge
-Terrible opening hours (Mon-Thurs 8-4, later on a Friday)

RBC
-Most ATMs
-Free for first year (but you have to ask for this, they don't advertise it)
-Can offer a 'virtual visa' for online payments etc
-You can get a credit card if you put money down
-You can withdraw from your UK Halifax account with no charge
-Good opening hours

ICBC
-Charge $8 a month (I think), which is less than most paid accounts
-The only bank I know of in Canada that issue an actual Visa Debit card

The main problem I've had with the banking system here, is the credit card issue. They don't so visa debit, they only do credit cards. If you want to make any online payments, rent a car, sign up to zipcar, netflix etc etc you need one. At home we take it for granted that out bank card is a visa debit (usually), so this stuff is never as issue. But here you get issued a debit card that you can use for chip&pin, and that's it. My Scotiabank one doesn't even have my name on it. So you can't make online payments. Visa debit cards are really rare. I used my Bank of Scotland one in a small, local Canada Post once and the woman was certain it was a fake card, or that I was stupid because I was saying it was a visa debit, which in her there was no such thing!

I managed to get around this issue by getting a prepay visa credit card from Canada Post. Just preload it and your good to go.

Last edited by mazmataz; Jan 21st 2014 at 6:13 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

can you set up direct debits? for rent and so on or finance?

I had know idea I could not make online purchases!
we certainly do take it for granted in the uk!!

thanks for responding
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazmataz
Summary of Canadian banks I've dealt with, if you don't go for HSBC:

Scotiabank
-Free for the first year (unlimited transactions)
-Collect scene points with your debit card i.e. free movie tickets!
-ATMs in All 7Elevens and London Drugs
-No Visa card, if you want one you need to put money down on a credit card
-You can withdraw from your UK Barclays account with no charge
-Terrible opening hours (Mon-Thurs 8-4, later on a Friday)

RBC
-Most ATMs
-Free for first year (but you have to ask for this, they don't advertise it)
-Can offer a 'virtual visa' for online payments etc
-You can get a credit card if you put money down
-You can withdraw from your UK Halifax account with no charge
-Good opening hours

ICBC
-Charge $8 a month (I think), which is less than most paid accounts
-The only bank I know of in Canada that issue an actual Visa Debit card

The main problem I've had with the banking system here, is the credit card issue. They don't so visa debit, they only do credit cards. If you want to make any online payments, rent a car, sign up to zipcar, netflix etc etc you need one. At home we take it for granted that out bank card is a visa debit (usually), so this stuff is never as issue. But here you get issued a debit card that you can use for chip&pin, and that's it. My Scotiabank one doesn't even have my name on it. So you can't make online payments. Visa debit cards are really rare. I used my Bank of Scotland one in a small, local Canada Post once and the woman was certain it was a fake card, or that I was stupid because I was saying it was a visa debit, which in her there was no such thing!

I managed to get around this issue by getting a prepay visa credit card from Canada Post. Just preload it and your good to go.
RBC has visa debit now. http://www.visa.ca/en/personal/new-cards/index.jsp

You could also look at Presidents Choice Banking, no bank fees and you can use any cashpoint with CIBC

Most banks will let you have a secured visa card, put down $500 and spend up to that amount.

Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:38 pm
Bex in the city

You will be ok to use your UK credit card though won't you?

What do you mean when you say you can get a credit card by 'putting money down'?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
You will be ok to use your UK credit card though won't you?

What do you mean when you say you can get a credit card by 'putting money down'?
Provided you notify your UK bank that you will be abroad you should be ok to use your UK credit card - provided the place you are using it will accept it (no reason why they shouldn't).

It's called a 'secured credit card' - basically you give $500 to the bank to hold in a GIC account for up to a year (secured) and they give you a credit card with that limit on it.

Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

can you raise the limit from time to time? say you were going away for a weekend and had enough cash to deposit a further 500.

thanks for responding
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:25 pm
Banned

can you raise the limit from time to time? say you were going away for a weekend and had enough cash to deposit a further 500.

thanks for responding
You would need to negotiate that with the bank.