Identikit?

Old Sep 14th 2007, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Identikit?

Originally Posted by Calgal
No, my dear - what's up? Even if it's personal, you can tell us, as you're with about 50,000 of your closest friends at any given moment
bronchitis, coughing like old man steptoe
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:00 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
Awwwww really sorry to hear that.

Rest lots of fluids and all that. Most important don't lose your sense of humour.

Get well soon.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:05 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I went to a wine tasting there. It's a knock off of Fanueil Market (or however you spell it). Cute.
Come now, dbd, I don't think even you could realistically claim that builders in Halifax in the 1780s - 1820s were putting up "knock-offs" of a building down the coast in Boston of about the same period (Faneuil Hall was built in the 1740s, the neoclassical Quincy Market in 1826). The Boston waterfront and Halifax's Historic Properties were both developed as harbour warehouses... you may as well say they were both knock offs of Surrey Quays or the West India Dock warehouses in London, or of the Inner Dock in Bristol. And like former wharf warehouses the world over, they've been converted into cafes, bars, restaurants, museums and shops for the new waterfront trade in tourism. Cute, yes, if that floats your boat. Knockoff, no.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Come now, dbd, I don't think even you could realistically claim that builders in Halifax in the 1780s - 1820s were putting up "knock-offs" of a building down the coast in Boston of about the same period (Faneuil Hall was built in the 1740s, the neoclassical Quincy Market in 1826). The Boston waterfront and Halifax's Historic Properties were both developed as harbour warehouses... you may as well say they were both knock offs of Surrey Quays or the West India Dock warehouses in London, or of the Inner Dock in Bristol. And like former wharf warehouses the world over, they've been converted into cafes, bars, restaurants, museums and shops for the new waterfront trade in tourism. Cute, yes, if that floats your boat. Knockoff, no.
The original buildings weren't knock offs, just the redevelopments. I find all those old-buildings-rendered-as-restaurants-with-high-end-retail to be much of a muchness, is it Baltimore, is it Halifax, is it Boston? Something similar happens in Europe of course, the offerings around the Oslo harbour are similar to those in the Docklands, but I visit them less often and so the homogeneity is less obvious to me.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

The Keg is the only The Keg.
LOL - you just 'might' have a point, there...

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
Awwww sorry to hear it, too! Take Steve's advice - take the PC to bed, rest and have a laugh on here.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:52 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray;
nobody wants to meet me is it cos i argues all the time??
Nah! It's because you're from Murton Colliery.

(Hope you get better soon batty.)
Old Sep 14th 2007, 4:01 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

most places in Canada only have chain "eateries" and not pubs
Halifax has loads of pubs. Apparently more than Toronto (and Halifax has only a fraction of its population). Also we have lots of old buildings (depending on your definition of old). Okay so thay are not gothic but plenty from the 1700s and 1800s (public buildings as well as houses).

To be fair most shopping still seems to centre around malls but IMHO thats not a bad thing given that you can actually park at them. This is where the UK is going wrong - when you drive into the "town" then all the shops are in lovely old buildings (places like Bracknell and Milton Keynes excepted) but you cant drive to them. You have to park miles away in a multi-story and pay 5 pounds to park even though you just wanted to pop into the bank to pay in a cheque.

Otherwise I would say most of this thread is generally aimed at places like Calgary rather than more historical areas like NS.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 4:27 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm reminded of the classic exchange between John Cleese and Malcolm Muggeridge at the time that "Life of Brian" was released.

Muggeridge was prissily outraged at the idea of satirizing such things and dismissed the concept that it had value, by pointing out that in four hundred years people would have forgotten all about the film, "Not like the great Cathedral at Chartres", he smugly announced.

At which Cleese pursed his lips and slowly shook his head, "Ah Chartres, not a very funny building".
Old Sep 14th 2007, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Otherwise I would say most of this thread is generally aimed at places like Calgary rather than more historical areas like NS.
Calgary isn't less historical. Its just that most of its history happened since 1950
Old Sep 14th 2007, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by rwin
Calgary isn't less historical. Its just that most of its history happened since 1950
Most of Calgary's history happened well before 1950.

Admittedly the city is very new in relation to places like Halifax and Quebec City.

But it has been around since the 1870's and really started to grow when the railroad came through in the 1890's.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 5:03 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

so you do have an "old" building then?
Old Sep 14th 2007, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by NSpaul
so you do have an "old" building then?
If you're referring to Calgary, we might even have two.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Most of Calgary's history happened well before 1950.
But, but, but... I used the winkie guy
Old Sep 14th 2007, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by rwin
But, but, but... I used the winkie guy
I know that's why I used this guy.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 5:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

And another thing Canada towns have in common is visible wiring. Iaink's autumnal picture of the river has a wire dangling across it, so does the view from our driveway, outside the window here is a pole with a great tangle of cables. They should get some paddies over to Canada, to introduce the spade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.