Identikit?

Old Sep 14th 2007, 5:36 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Identikit?

Originally Posted by dbd33
And another thing Canada towns have in common is visible wiring. Iaink's autumnal picture of the river has a wire dangling across it, so does the view from our driveway, outside the window here is a pole with a great tangle of cables. They should get some paddies over to Canada, to introduce the spade.
Looks a lot like this in Guelph: http://www.pixagogo.com/Photos/Album...k2!3OMJcGcdGzO
Old Sep 14th 2007, 5:40 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

And another thing Canada towns have in common is visible wiring. Iaink's autumnal picture of the river has a wire dangling across it, so does the view from our driveway, outside the window here is a pole with a great tangle of cables. They should get some paddies over to Canada, to introduce the spade.

Tsk, tsk.
One isn't supposed to refer to bog-trotters as "paddies" any more.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

That is true. Mind you, most of Nova Scotia (and I'm guessing 'The Rock' ) consists of rock! Not a lot of digging going on around here. Blasting, yes

I was quite surprised when I found out the cable supply was run on the phone poles. It is just strange after they seemed to dig up every foot path in the UK to bury cable 'cables'.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:06 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
That is true. Mind you, most of Nova Scotia (and I'm guessing 'The Rock' ) consists of rock! Not a lot of digging going on around here. Blasting, yes

I was quite surprised when I found out the cable supply was run on the phone poles. It is just strange after they seemed to dig up every foot path in the UK to bury cable 'cables'.
It's coz it all freezes over in winter, innit. Difficult to dig a hole for a cable (even for our Hibernian friends with appropriate entrenching tools) when the ground's frozen solid. In cities they can be put in conduits and accessed through manholes [that's the cables, not the Irishmen, he adds quickly], but that's not cost-effective in the countryside when telegraph poles - well, they grow on trees, don't they.

It'd be a bugger to have to wait til April or May to repair a cable that broke in December without calling in the heavy digging equipment...
Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
It's coz it all freezes over in winter, innit. Difficult to dig a hole for a cable (even for our Hibernian friends with appropriate entrenching tools) when the ground's frozen solid. In cities they can be put in conduits and accessed through manholes [that's the cables, not the Irishmen, he adds quickly], but that's not cost-effective in the countryside when telegraph poles - well, they grow on trees, don't they.

It'd be a bugger to have to wait til April or May to repair a cable that broke in December without calling in the heavy digging equipment...
We have a client in the cabling business. They used to be a domestic oil company and, in the course of that, acquired rights of way through pipes (sewers, supply pipes, subway lines, all sorts) under several US cities. Cold cities; New York and Chicago among them. Now they sell the use of the right of way for TV cables, computer cables, all manner of cables. I would have thought something similar would be possible in Toronto but it doesn't seem to the case, there are wires dangling all over.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:24 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

We have a client in the cabling business. They used to be a domestic oil company and, in the course of that, acquired rights of way through pipes (sewers, supply pipes, subway lines, all sorts) under several US cities. Cold cities; New York and Chicago among them. Now they sell the use of the right of way for TV cables, computer cables, all manner of cables. I would have thought something similar would be possible in Toronto but it doesn't seem to the case, there are wires dangling all over.
not right downtown, there aren't - I look out of my window at Wellington & York and the only cables I can see are the streetcar powerlines. I guess a little further out you start to see cables on poles. But then again, in my bland suburban bit of Oakville the phone, power and cable all come into the houses underground. There's a series of junction boxes up by the main intersection, it's all on poles along the main road, but not through the residential parts.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
not right downtown, there aren't - I look out of my window at Wellington & York and the only cables I can see are the streetcar powerlines. I guess a little further out you start to see cables on poles. But then again, in my bland suburban bit of Oakville the phone, power and cable all come into the houses underground. There's a series of junction boxes up by the main intersection, it's all on poles along the main road, but not through the residential parts.
OK, the area immediately adjacent to that black TD building has few wires but you don't have to go far to see them:

Wires at Bloor and Sherbourne:

http://www.boldts.net/TorBu.shtml

Wires at Bay and College:

http://www.boldts.net/TorBc.shtml

Moss Park with wires:

http://www.boldts.net/TorMo.shtml

The Beach has lots of wires:

http://www.boldts.net/TorQk.shtml

John Street, CN tower seen above wires

http://www.boldts.net/TorU.shtml

Hillcrest Village (wherever that is) looks wirey

http://www.boldts.net/TorHv.shtml
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:30 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence

Yes, the "Rock" is, well, pretty much Rock.* And what isn't rock is bog. Neither of which is much good for digging up to bury cables. So for example the view from outside my office window in centralish St. John's encompasses cables:
(It's a photo from last winter, we've not had a freak snowstorm, never fear.)

Cable tv comes to the house along with electricity from poles. In fact I have one pole at the end of the drive and another half way down it that my neighbour conveniently uses to hang one end of their washing line on.

* Rock is such a big thing here that there is a whole interactive museum type place devoted to it. http://www.geocentre.ca/ It's a lot less exciting than it seems.