Iceland Air

Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

sambailie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Iceland Air

I am looking at one way flights from Scotland to Toronto for myself, my husband and our 2 year old son. Iceland Air has a flight from Glasgow to Toronto the transfers in Rekjavik. The transfer time is 1 hour 35 mins and it says we have to change planes. Has anyone flown with Iceland Air from the UK? Are they a good airline? Is it enough time?

Thanks!
Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:54 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iceland Air

Originally Posted by sambailie
I am looking at one way flights from Scotland to Toronto for myself, my husband and our 2 year old son. Iceland Air has a flight from Glasgow to Toronto the transfers in Rekjavik. The transfer time is 1 hour 35 mins and it says we have to change planes. Has anyone flown with Iceland Air from the UK? Are they a good airline? Is it enough time?

Thanks!
I have used them a couple of times from Halifax to London. They were fine and the fares were very competitive. They will allow a stop over of up to a week in Iceland if you wish. The transfer is no big deal. I would use them again, no problem
Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:57 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't flown with them, but Iceland Air seems to have a reasonable reputation. I have seen on the board quite a few who have connected in Rekjavik - it's a reasonable way to take a connection that doesn't completely destroy your travel time.

On the flipside, 95 minutes for a transfer... honestly I don't know. Are you going to have to clear customs in between? That can add a lot of time. If it's just an intra-airport transfer then it's probably fine... might be worth checking their T&Cs though to see what happens if you miss the connection. If the first plane is late then it won't be an issue, they'll rebook you. If you get caught up in some security check though, are you on the hook for sorting out the rest of the flight? If you do miss that flight, is there another one later, or are you stuck there overnight? If you're stuck overnight, who foots the bill? Worth checking on those policies I'd think.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:43 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
I used them a lot when I was a student, with the hour or so delay spent supping expensive beers in the airport bar. Would I choose them now? No, just get a direct flight, especially when you have a child with you. But as a standard of airline, they're okay, nothing to write home about but similar to most economy seating.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

We have flown IcelandAir from Glasgow, and found them to be fine, and very competitively priced. Rekjavik is a small airport so 1hr35 should be plenty of time - a couple of weeks ago I flew Glasgow-Halifax through heathrow with 1hr50 transfer time and made it no problem, so Rekjavik should be no problem at all!

Re. Oink's suggestion of a direct flight, I'm pretty sure there are no direct flights from Glasgow to Toronto. Glasgow and Edinburgh claim to be international airports but they're not really that well connected...
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
We have flown IcelandAir from Glasgow, and found them to be fine, and very competitively priced. Rekjavik is a small airport so 1hr35 should be plenty of time - a couple of weeks ago I flew Glasgow-Halifax through heathrow with 1hr50 transfer time and made it no problem, so Rekjavik should be no problem at all!

Re. Oink's suggestion of a direct flight, I'm pretty sure there are no direct flights from Glasgow to Toronto. Glasgow and Edinburgh claim to be international airports but they're not really that well connected...
I should of read that more closely as I simply assumed it was from London.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Air Canada Rouge are starting direct flights Edinburgh to Toronto in July 2014
http://www.aircanada.com/rouge/en/index.html
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

air transat glasgow -toronto ,air Canada the same all direct ,,,,,mind its pearson (toronto).
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Yes the problem is all of the companies that offer direct flights want at least £1800 for a one way flight for me, my husband and my 2 year old.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the problem is all of the companies that offer direct flights want at least £1800 for a one way flight for me, my husband and my 2 year old.
They have deals on at the moment:

http://www.airtransat.co.uk/en/speci...showpbe#GLAYYZ

£378 Glasgow to Toronto 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 9 May 2014
Toronto to Glasgow 7, 11, 14, 17, 18, 21, 22 May 2014

£444 Glasgow to Toronto 13, 15, 16 Jun 2014
Toronto to Glasgow 17, 18 Jun 2014

£484 Glasgow to Toronto 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Aug 2014
Toronto to Glasgow 26, 27, 28, 29 Aug 2014

June 16th
Total Price for booking (click to see full price details) GBP 1027.00

Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Wolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud of

We have flown with them and have booked our flights with them in the autumn. I do prefer them to air transat (just slightly more comfortable). And the stopover in Iceland is fine. The first time I did it, we did take advantage and stopped in Iceland for a week (amazing!). This time round we will have a toddler in tow but the airport is very pleasant and you would be fine for 1hr 30. You will have plenty of time to change planes. We actually saw it as a bit of an advantage with our toddler. 3hrs from London and then a chance for him to run around and burn off some energy and have a bit of a break before the longer 5hr stretch.

The main plus with them is they have a very generous baggage policy which massively worked in our favour and unlike many airlines, your kid also gets a bag as well as carry on, a pushchair and a car seat. They have a good reputation for being nice to kids (unlike many airlines!)
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
They have deals on at the moment:

http://www.airtransat.co.uk/en/speci...showpbe#GLAYYZ

£378 Glasgow to Toronto 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 9 May 2014
Toronto to Glasgow 7, 11, 14, 17, 18, 21, 22 May 2014

£444 Glasgow to Toronto 13, 15, 16 Jun 2014
Toronto to Glasgow 17, 18 Jun 2014

£484 Glasgow to Toronto 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Aug 2014
Toronto to Glasgow 26, 27, 28, 29 Aug 2014

June 16th
Total Price for booking (click to see full price details) GBP 1027.00

The deals are only for return flight they jack up the price on one way. Can't use a return ticket if my husband is coming as a visitor to wait for PR.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The deals are only for return flight they jack up the price on one way. Can't use a return ticket if my husband is coming as a visitor to wait for PR.
That was one way.
Attached Thumbnails Iceland Air-transat.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 28th 2014 at 10:00 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

If its cheaper to buy return, then buy return and just don't use it