Reload this Page >

Can I move to Canada for 6 months and then leave and apply for the whv

Can I move to Canada for 6 months and then leave and apply for the whv

Old Apr 29th 2014, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

pitt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I move to Canada for 6 months and then leave and apply for the whv

Hi

I am looking to move to Canada asap. I have good savings and I can stay there 6 months without working. I just want to spend some time with friends there and get to know better canadian culture.

However, next year I am looking to apply for the working holiday visa. I don't know if it is a problem to live there for 6 months now and then next year apply for the working holiday visa. Will the immigration be ok with this?
Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I move to Canada for 6 months and then leave and apply for the whv

Originally Posted by pitt
Hi

I am looking to move to Canada asap. I have good savings and I can stay there 6 months without working. I just want to spend some time with friends there and get to know better canadian culture.

However, next year I am looking to apply for the working holiday visa. I don't know if it is a problem to live there for 6 months now and then next year apply for the working holiday visa. Will the immigration be ok with this?
Hard to say as that will depend on a number of factors.
Normally a visitor can stay up to 6 months (not guaranteed) without needing written authorization. They will have to provide evidence that they have sufficient funds to support themselves for the duration of their stay and will leave Canada at the end of their stay. As the IEC WHV is basically a lottery limited places then there is no guarantee you would get a place even if applying.
Doing it this way has its risks and nobody can give you a definitive answer.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

pitt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can I move to Canada for 6 months and then leave and apply for the whv

Is there any number I can call and ask questions about this?
Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:39 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

FL is a CBSA officer, so his word is pretty much gold when it comes to this.

It's going to be up to the immigration officer to decide whether or not to let you in, and decide for how long. No one is going to be able to say for sure what a particular officer will or will not be okay with.

All you can do really is take the guidance that FL has posted above. Bring your proof of funds, have a return ticket, make sure you reiterate that you know you can't work at all, state your intention to apply for IEC in December/January when it reopens, and see what happens.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pitt
Is there any number I can call and ask questions about this?
No because they will give you the same answer I just gave and seeing as I deal with this on a regular basis then even I can't give you a 100% answer as it will be up to the examining officer if you choose to do it that way. They may allow you or they may not.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Listen to FL

I can give you an example of a similar scenario, which may or may not help you( ):

Young relative decides to visit Canada. Reads that visa-exempt passport holders are eligible for 6 month stay. YR buys (non-refundable/non-modifiable) return ticket based on this, arrives at POE & is admitted, without problems, but for 3 months. It wasn't a problem, as the funds he had earmarked for a 6 month stay allowed him to purchase another ticket to leave earlier than he had planned, within the 3 month limit.

Just remember that the tourist/visitor visa *may* be granted for up to 6 months; if you bear in mind that it's a possibility, rather than an entitlement, & have a contingency plan in case you don't get 6 months, then you should be fine.

It has no bearing on a putative future IEC.

S
Old Apr 29th 2014, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Young relative decides to visit Canada. Reads that visa-exempt passport holders are eligible for 6 month stay. YR buys (non-refundable/non-modifiable) return ticket based on this, arrives at POE & is admitted, without problems, but for 3 months.
S
On a tangent - if people are only admitted for 3 months, how is this marked? Handwritten on the stamp?

I ask because last summer, I was on a 3 week vacation, I presented myself at YVR with a smile, passport, vacation plan, bookings for first few days and a car rental, got welcomed in with a stamp in my passport from the day I arrived. There was nothing on it that said 'this person is meant to be gone in 20 days'. Could I theoretically have changed plans & stayed for a full 6 months on that, buying another ticket? (assuming I obeyed all laws, lived off my savings, etc) Or on departure do they match up with the form I filled in on the plane, or what?
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
On a tangent - if people are only admitted for 3 months, how is this marked? Handwritten on the stamp?
Good Gawd, I really can't remember/have no idea. There must have been a stamp/annotation in passport, if I remember the case, & I do, because it was surprising to me.

Understand that cyclically, I have had a semi-steady stream of young relatives, children of friends/relatives, friends of friends & various hangers-on transiting my sofa for a good many years . All of whom expect me to be an immigration/Life in Canada Expert ...

I've seriously reduced sofa availability in the last few years, & I tend to remember the non-standard cases, without checking their passports on arrival (I vet my invitations pre-landing these days ))!!)

S
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid

I ask because last summer, I was on a 3 week vacation, I presented myself at YVR with a smile, passport, vacation plan, bookings for first few days and a car rental, got welcomed in with a stamp in my passport from the day I arrived. There was nothing on it that said 'this person is meant to be gone in 20 days'. Could I theoretically have changed plans & stayed for a full 6 months on that, buying another ticket? (assuming I obeyed all laws, lived off my savings, etc) Or on departure do they match up with the form I filled in on the plane, or what?
If there is no date written underneath the stamp then I believe you have 6 months.

Anyone who gets less than 6 months can always apply online or by mail to extend anyway, so it's no big deal.