British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   ICBC car insurance quote - OMG (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/icbc-car-insurance-quote-omg-880111/)

Snowy560 Jul 10th 2016 11:18 pm

Re: ICBC car insurance quote - OMG

That won't apply to you if you haven't got insurance yet. I think it's only when you have it but you're subsequently applying to get the discount.

In 2012 I had to pay the full insurance premium and then get the letters from the UK. It was a complete and utter nightmare and required me to be very persistent. I managed in the end but it was a struggle. Then I had to pay the $20 to get ICBC to (re)examine my documents etc.

S

Jackandvictor Jul 10th 2016 11:31 pm

Hi
Just the new letters from the insurance companies showing the full name/ no initials. I had to get mine all changed to suit whatever name was on my drivers license.
Good luck:fingerscrossed:

beckiwoo Jul 10th 2016 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 11999128)
That won't apply to you if you haven't got insurance yet. I think it's only when you have it but you're subsequently applying to get the discount.

In 2012 I had to pay the full insurance premium and then get the letters from the UK. It was a complete and utter nightmare and required me to be very persistent. I managed in the end but it was a struggle. Then I had to pay the $20 to get ICBC to (re)examine my documents etc.

S

OK so there is chance it may not work and I'll have to cut my losses and pay the full amount.

After a few years of having insurance with no claims will it continue to go down?

PMM Jul 11th 2016 1:16 am

Hi

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 11998432)
You buy basic insurance from an Autoplan broker. They are ICBC agents so they can only offer ICBC optional insurance. The three companies I can think of that provide alternate optional insurance are Canadian Direct, Coast Capital and BCAA. You will have to contact them directly.

1. Thats odd, the agency that I go to, compares the ICBC coverage offered, and determines whether it is cheaper to continue with ICBC for the optional coverage with ICBC or with another company.

R I C H Jul 11th 2016 2:06 am

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11999140)
OK so there is chance it may not work and I'll have to cut my losses and pay the full amount.

After a few years of having insurance with no claims will it continue to go down?

If you're unable to supply proof of no claims in a format acceptable to ICBC, then it's possible you'll have to pay the full amount and accrue discounts on a yearly basis.

Aviator Jul 11th 2016 2:26 am

Here you go:
http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/costs/Documents/crs.pdf

sharkus Jul 11th 2016 12:49 pm

Seem to recall that my first policy over here, with 11 years of driving history and proof of 7 years of no claims resulted in a yearly cost of around $2700. That was for a 1992 VW Jetta GL.
It did irk me a little, given that I'd just come from an Impreza WRX, albeit a vintage one from '94, that had a few tweaks here and there, and was on a special grey imports and modified policy, which was less in £ than the above, but I did understand why.

The bigger miffed point came a year later when the premium jumped up to $3500, which I found odd, as I had a year's clean driving history here in Canada, no change of address, job, or anything like that, so shouldn't it be a little less? Ah well, switched insurance companies and did end up with it lower than that.

Current insurance wise, around $1053 for a 2014 Kia Forte 5 SX, via RBC, with a discount due to a group policy at work.

Vulcanoid Jul 11th 2016 2:33 pm

I'm very surprised your quote is so high. I paid about $1k for a year's insurance on a truck, before I'd even changed my licence over, in Kelowna which is stereotyped as being bad-driver central. IIRC I played with the limits very slightly, upping my deductible, but generally I didn't consider the fees in any way unreasonable.

beckiwoo Jul 11th 2016 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid (Post 11999642)
I'm very surprised your quote is so high. I paid about $1k for a year's insurance on a truck, before I'd even changed my licence over, in Kelowna which is stereotyped as being bad-driver central. IIRC I played with the limits very slightly, upping my deductible, but generally I didn't consider the fees in any way unreasonable.

Id be happy with $1,000.

it's probably because it's Vancouver.

Aviator Jul 11th 2016 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11999676)
Id be happy with $1,000.

it's probably because it's Vancouver.

Hard to compare prices, some have basic only, some have collision and comp, liability can be from $200k to $5m. All depends on the coverage you want and the use. If you drive to school or work more than 6 days a month, it should have business use which puts up the price. Drive more then 15km to work and it goes up more.

For a truck on business use, full 43% discount with $5m and roadstar plus. We pay $1600

SUV, same $2100 incl 43% discount

Tangram Jul 11th 2016 5:22 pm

I pay $3000 for all three vehicles ( Hyundai Santa Fe, Tuscon and Mini Cooper S )

beckiwoo Jul 11th 2016 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11999786)
Hard to compare prices, some have basic only, some have collision and comp, liability can be from $200k to $5m. All depends on the coverage you want and the use. If you drive to school or work more than 6 days a month, it should have business use which puts up the price. Drive more then 15km to work and it goes up more.

For a truck on business use, full 43% discount with $5m and roadstar plus. We pay $1600

SUV, same $2100 incl 43% discount

so yeah it just gets expensive.

The basic cover certainly not enough if you are involved in a collision.

another issue I might have is there is currently a small gap of 2.5 months of my continuous cover.This was because my year of coverage was up and then I paid monthly until I left the UK and cancelled the insurance on the last day before I left.

Could this be a problem if I don't get a letter from this company to show proof of no claims?

it also means there is a 2 day gap between canceling my insurance and exchanging my UK license for a BC one

Aviator Jul 11th 2016 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11999827)
so yeah it just gets expensive.

The basic cover certainly not enough if you are involved in a collision.

another issue I might have is there is currently a small gap of 2.5 months of my continuous cover.This was because my year of coverage was up and then I paid monthly until I left the UK and cancelled the insurance on the last day before I left.

Could this be a problem if I don't get a letter from this company to show proof of no claims?

it also means there is a 2 day gap between canceling my insurance and exchanging my UK license for a BC one

As soon as there is a gap, that is where ICBC will stop going back to. Letters must be continuous with no break in coverage. The 2 day gap and license exchange will likley be OK. I suspect the 2½ month gap will be a problem.

beckiwoo Jul 11th 2016 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11999866)
As soon as there is a gap, that is where ICBC will stop going back to. Letters must be continuous with no break in coverage. The 2 day gap and license exchange will likley be OK. I suspect the 2½ month gap will be a problem.

Luckily I had my policy and information saved on my hard drive so I've emailed the insurance company to ask them about sending this information over.

It may require some phones calls but see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for the help and advise :)

withabix Jul 11th 2016 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid (Post 11999642)

I can't believe that figure, even for minimum basic cover.

Kelowna has a higher risk zoning than Most parts of Greater Vancouver from what I remember.

Full ICBC cover before discounts is basically $3500+ before discounts, pretty much irrespective of what the vehicle is. New or old, big or small. It probably goes up with exotica above some retail price or other.

This is probably because both drivers in an accident are likely to be insured with ICBC. So if one car is a 1982 Nissan and the other is a 2016 Porsche, the total bill to ICBC is the same....