British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   ICBC car insurance quote - OMG (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/icbc-car-insurance-quote-omg-880111/)

beckiwoo Jul 8th 2016 3:19 pm

ICBC car insurance quote - OMG

So I finally got a ball park figure for car insurance.

Based on having my BC licence for 2 years with $3 million liability, comprehensive cover, ability to rent vehicles from a hire company in the USA and Canada (if travelling), $300 deductable.

This is based on a 2012 Nissan Micra (as i am looking at a compact car)

If ICBC accepts my 4 letters showing 5 years of insurance its $2366

If they DO NOT accept any of them then its $3532

I allowed $3000 for the worst case scenario so I am little bit peeved its come out $500 over budget.

I hate ICBC already!

dbd33 Jul 8th 2016 3:28 pm

Re: ICBC car insurance quote - OMG

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11997413)

Based on having my BC licence for 2 years with $3 million liability, comprehensive cover, ability to rent vehicles from a hire company in the USA and Canada (if travelling), $300 deductable.

I allowed $3000 for the worst case scenario so I am little bit peeved its come out $500 over budget.

I hate ICBC already!

It's no different in Provinces where ICBC doesn't operate. People in Canada drive badly and are litigious by nature so it costs a lot to insure them. I'd be delighted to get away with three grand (though not at the expense of getting in a Nissan Micra).

beckiwoo Jul 8th 2016 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11997422)
It's no different in Provinces where ICBC doesn't operate. People in Canada drive badly and are litigious by nature so it costs a lot to insure them. I'd be delighted to get away with three grand (though not at the expense of getting in a Nissan Micra).

It's still a joke $3500 for a nissan Micra.

dbd33 Jul 8th 2016 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11997439)
It's still a joke $3500 for a nissan Micra.

There have been several years when I've paid more than the value of the car for the year's cover. I believe that to be routinely true for people in the Yukon and NWT. This is a terrible country in which to insure a car regardless of having to use ICBC.

beckiwoo Jul 8th 2016 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11997452)
This is a terrible country in which to insure a car regardless of having to use ICBC.

although I have heard other provinces are slightly cheaper such as AB

Photoplex Jul 8th 2016 4:33 pm

Mine started out at about $2500 a year in AB, where insurance is privatized. Took a few years for it to drop down significantly.

ann m Jul 8th 2016 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11997422)
It's no different in Provinces where ICBC doesn't operate. People in Canada drive badly and are litigious by nature so it costs a lot to insure them.

Yep, driving standards are poor, weather is poor, and road conditions are poor either through snow, ice and rain or bucketfuls of grit everywhere. And then the weather in general is extreme (snow, hail, floods, fires, tornados). Insurance generally is pricey - this the sad price to pay for driving in this land. It will come down eventually 😉

Snowy560 Jul 8th 2016 4:44 pm

Do you have to have a car?

Our family has one. However, I rarely drive if I can avoid it. There's often car share options (you know like Modo and Evo).

S

dbd33 Jul 8th 2016 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Photoplex (Post 11997487)
Mine started out at about $2500 a year in AB, where insurance is privatized. Took a few years for it to drop down significantly.

Alberta is the most highly regulated province for car insurance premiums (with privately owned carriers) the companies are privately owned but the premium bands are set by the government.

BC has, possibly, the worst of both worlds; premiums as high as the more unregulated provinces, ON for example, but as much bureaucracy as the state run system in MB.

Photoplex Jul 8th 2016 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11997538)
Alberta is the most highly regulated province for car insurance premiums (with privately owned carriers) the companies are privately owned but the premium bands are set by the government

I believe each grid band is a max that an insurance company can charge. It doesn't stipulate a minimum, allowing for competition between insurers.

That's certainly been my experience of shopping around, and getting different premiums from different insurers, when asked to exact match an existing policy coverage and terms.

Edit: Also, just reading on the AIRB website, and noted this:
  • Grid appies only to basic coverage premiums (third party liability & accident benefits)
  • About 10% of drivers are rated on Grid

plasticcanuck Jul 8th 2016 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11997452)
There have been several years when I've paid more than the value of the car for the year's cover. I believe that to be routinely true for people in the Yukon and NWT. This is a terrible country in which to insure a car regardless of having to use ICBC.

Don't you think you're being disingenuous again insofar as not disclosing the reasons for your high insurance costs? There's no doubt auto insurance in Canada is too high but I insure 2 cars for $1800 per annum. I've had no accidents or received tickets/lost demerit points for speeding or other infractions. You've admitted in the past to being a scofflaw and driving well beyond the speed limits which no doubt have contributed to your high insurance costs. Have you ever had your licence suspended for such infractions?

scrubbedexpat133 Jul 8th 2016 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11997413)

I hate ICBC already!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I complain about paying 860 for my Hyundai acccent!!! :getcoat:

dbd33 Jul 8th 2016 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Photoplex (Post 11997546)
I believe each grid band is a max that an insurance company can charge. It doesn't stipulate a minimum, allowing for competition between insurers.

That's certainly been my experience of shopping around, and getting different premiums from different insurers, when asked to exact match an existing policy coverage and terms.

Edit: Also, just reading on the AIRB website, and noted this:
  • Grid appies only to basic coverage premiums (third party liability & accident benefits)
  • About 10% of drivers are rated on Grid

Yes, all of that is true. Some other provinces don't have an equivalent of the grid.

dbd33 Jul 8th 2016 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11997558)
Don't you think you're being disingenuous again insofar as not disclosing the reasons for your high insurance costs? There's no doubt auto insurance in Canada is too high but I insure 2 cars for $1800 per annum. I've had no accidents or received tickets/lost demerit points for speeding or other infractions. You've admitted in the past to being a scofflaw and driving well beyond the speed limits which no doubt have contributed to your high insurance costs. Have you ever had your licence suspended for such infractions?

I rarely drive at or below the posted speed limits, yes. On ordinary roads posted for 50mph I set the cruise control at 60 odd so as to fit in with the traffic. I average a ticket per year for various infractions and have no reportable suspensions. I drive 30,000+ miles a year which isn't good for the premiums.

I base my opinion that insurance premiums are high on my long involvement with the insurance industry. My personal premium is a bother to me but not unusual for the location and distance driven.

I assume you're benefiting from an age discount, are you with Grey Power?

beckiwoo Jul 8th 2016 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 11997502)
Do you have to have a car?

Our family has one. However, I rarely drive if I can avoid it. There's often car share options (you know like Modo and Evo).

S

I've managed to get through 2 years without a car but I feel restricted when I want to go snowboarding on the mountains or to just leave the city for a bit.

I'm biting the bullet and getting a car.

I've missed not having my freedom so its price I will have to pay

Engineer_abroad Jul 8th 2016 7:06 pm

Have you looked at getting just basic (minimum coverage) from ICBC and getting your extended coverage from another supplier?

300 deductible is quite low as well, if you can do it go up to around 1000 and see what they quote.

beckiwoo Jul 8th 2016 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 11997646)
Have you looked at getting just basic (minimum coverage) from ICBC and getting your extended coverage from another supplier?

300 deductible is quite low as well, if you can do it go up to around 1000 and see what they quote.

Thanks

This was through a broker so I assume the stuff away from 'the basic' coverage was through other companies.

I quite like the $300 deductible though - I thought hat was pretty good.

I'm just going to allow $4000 for my insurance (as I may get a different compact car).

It is what it is

Danny B Jul 8th 2016 7:21 pm

Just get the most basic insurance you can through ICBC, the insurance you need to be legal and then get the other stuff privately.

I use this company and have saved a fortune over the years.

Langley Branch
Coast Capital Insurance Services Ltd.
T:604-517-7262
F:604-517-7261
www.coastcapitalinsurance.com

JonboyE Jul 8th 2016 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 11997657)
Just get the most basic insurance you can through ICBC, the insurance you need to be legal and then get the other stuff privately.

I use this company and have saved a fortune over the years.

Langley Branch
Coast Capital Insurance Services Ltd.
T:604-517-7262
F:604-517-7261
www.coastcapitalinsurance.com

When we first arrived we bought the optional insurance from Canadian Direct as they gave us more credit for our UK driving experience. We saved several hundreds of dollars a year. As time went on and our ICBC discounts increased (and ICBC had to react to the competition) the difference reduced until there were no real savings.

It is certainly worth a newly insured to get some alternative quotes.

Aviator Jul 8th 2016 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 11997646)

So long as the driver has 10 years driving experience. If I recall it is 10 years North American experience, not just held a license for 10 years.

Novocastrian Jul 8th 2016 8:29 pm

I hear from my son that car insurance is very reasonable in Regina SK.

Perhaps you all could move there and save a bundle on insurance and housing?

Aviator Jul 8th 2016 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11997713)
I hear from my son that car insurance is very reasonable in Regina SK.

Perhaps you all could move there and save a bundle on insurance and housing?

They have to do something to get folks to stay there!

Novocastrian Jul 8th 2016 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11997717)
They have to do something to get folks to stay there!

Well, yes. Another thing they do is provincially run cellphones at a reasonable price.

beckiwoo Jul 9th 2016 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11997705)
So long as the driver has 10 years driving experience. If I recall it is 10 years North American experience, not just held a license for 10 years.

Thats a no then. My driving in the UK was 6 years and I've heard a license (UK and BC for 8 years)

scilly Jul 9th 2016 4:13 am

We get only the most basic insurance from ICBC, then OH deals with Canada Direct by phone. We've done this for many years ........... and still get the best deal that way.

Mind you, OH does get the maximum reductions based on years of driving, no accidents, etc etc

Check with the broker to see how the insurance cover is broken down.

beckiwoo Jul 9th 2016 4:24 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 11997941)
We get only the most basic insurance from ICBC, then OH deals with Canada Direct by phone. We've done this for many years ........... and still get the best deal that way.

Mind you, OH does get the maximum reductions based on years of driving, no accidents, etc etc

Check with the broker to see how the insurance cover is broken down.

OK thanks

so what is the 'basic' insurance from ICBC what does this include?

What extras should I be looking at through a private company?

Danny B Jul 9th 2016 6:13 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11997943)
OK thanks

Just tell ICBC you want the basic legal requirements and get everything else privately. It is worth spending 30 minutes on the phone to the company I mentioned above getting a quote and comparing it to ICBC.

This is a screenshot of my extra private insurance. I saved $400 this year.

Siouxie Jul 9th 2016 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11997610)
I've managed to get through 2 years without a car but I feel restricted when I want to go snowboarding on the mountains or to just leave the city for a bit.

I'm biting the bullet and getting a car.

I've missed not having my freedom so its price I will have to pay

Wouldn't it be cheaper overall to just rent a car for the odd weekend that you want to go to the mountains or leave the city?

Enterprise
3 Day(s)CAD 209.94
Tax & Fee Details CAD 32.94
Estimated Total
CAD 242.88

Budget
3 Days Rental
Unlimited Free kilometers
Total 168.06 CAD

:confused:

JonboyE Jul 9th 2016 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11997943)
OK thanks

Basic insurance is the minimum insurance you need to drive. It covers:
  • $200,000 third party liability
  • $150,000 medical expenses for self and passengers
  • Coverage if the accident is another driver's fault and they are not insured
  • $200,000 losses as a result of a hit and run
  • Coverage if an accident occurs in a jurisdiction where you are prevented from claiming from the person responsible

It is woefully inadequate unless your vehicle is worth nothing and you are prepared to make yourself bankrupt in the event of an at-fault accident.

beckiwoo Jul 9th 2016 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 11998351)
Just tell ICBC you want the basic legal requirements and get everything else privately. It is worth spending 30 minutes on the phone to the company I mentioned above getting a quote and comparing it to ICBC.

This is a screenshot of my extra private insurance. I saved $400 this year.

Thanks.

So of I go through the broker they wiLL give me the cost of the compulsory coverage with icbc and then will find me the best price for the extras?

beckiwoo Jul 9th 2016 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 11998373)
Basic insurance is the minimum insurance you need to drive. It covers:
  • $200,000 third party liability
  • $150,000 medical expenses for self and passengers
  • Coverage if the accident is another driver's fault and they are not insured
  • $200,000 losses as a result of a hit and run
  • Coverage if an accident occurs in a jurisdiction where you are prevented from claiming from the person responsible

It is woefully inadequate unless your vehicle is worth nothing and you are prepared to make yourself bankrupt in the event of an at-fault accident.

Great to know thanks.

that's pitiful too be honest.

I really miss compare the market.com and other price comparison sites in the UK. it was so much easier :(

JonboyE Jul 9th 2016 9:40 pm

You buy basic insurance from an Autoplan broker. They are ICBC agents so they can only offer ICBC optional insurance. The three companies I can think of that provide alternate optional insurance are Canadian Direct, Coast Capital and BCAA. You will have to contact them directly.

Aviator Jul 9th 2016 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11998402)
Thanks.

So of I go through the broker they wiLL give me the cost of the compulsory coverage with icbc and then will find me the best price for the extras?

You should look at the conditions for private insurance. It requires 10 years driving experience and I believe specifies 10 years North American. We do our ICBC and private through an Autopan broker. For private on the car we use 'Family' Often private is not a lot cheaper than ICBC for a car, you just get more for the money.

nicolasmith Jul 9th 2016 10:54 pm

I pay 1400 a year for a 2013 dodge caravan.... And I thought that was extortionate!! Be careful when exchanging your uk licence too. Get proof from DVLA of your what you are licensed to drive before you leave. We have just had our motorcycle licence revoked due to Uk changing categories in 2013 and ICBC say they may have given us class 6 category in error. We contacted DVLA and as our uk licence no longer exists we are unable to prove that we did and are entitled to ride a motorcycle! There are a lot more hurdles over here, but it is what it is I suppose so if you can come here understanding that everything is going to be different you should get along just fine..... Good luck 😉
My apologies if I posted something not quite relating to your initial 'blog'

Snowy560 Jul 9th 2016 11:52 pm

Nicola there's a recent thread about ICBC and the motorcycle thing and what people have done to resolve the issue. I can't post the link because I'm on my phone.

S

Siouxie Jul 10th 2016 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 11998490)
Nicola there's a recent thread about ICBC and the motorcycle thing and what people have done to resolve the issue. I can't post the link because I'm on my phone.

S

I can, because I am stuck at home on my one day off a week :p

Here you go..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...icence-880013/

:)

nicolasmith Jul 10th 2016 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11998496)
I can, because I am stuck at home on my one day off a week :p

Here you go..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...icence-880013/

:)

Thank you.... I'll check it out!! 😊

nicolasmith Jul 10th 2016 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 11998490)

S

Thank you.... I'll check it out!! Knew someone must know something 😊

Aviator Jul 10th 2016 3:17 am

Depending on how long one has not had a m/c license, ICBC do make some folks do a MST/MSA and road test.

beckiwoo Jul 10th 2016 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11998442)
You should look at the conditions for private insurance. It requires 10 years driving experience and I believe specifies 10 years North American. We do our ICBC and private through an Autopan broker. For private on the car we use 'Family' Often private is not a lot cheaper than ICBC for a car, you just get more for the money.

OK so that means as I don't have 10 years driving history, all of my extras will have to be through ICBC?

I'm getting my letters checked tomorrow at an auto plan place. Any that don't fulfill ICBC requirements then I'm writing back to the insurance company to get them to amend the letter.

I honestly think none of them will be accepted as most say 'Miss R (surname) instead of my full name