Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ICBC car insurance!

ICBC car insurance!

Old Feb 24th 2013, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute
Default ICBC car insurance!

I would like to thank BE and all my friends here for all their help and information regarding ICBC and motor insurance. I followed the advice given in the forum and got all my insurers in the UK to write letters in the format recommended on the forum, resulting in me getting the maximum discount of 43 %.

I am quite pleased and would not have been able to do this without your help.

A big thank you.
Ruby
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:07 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ICBC car insurance!

It really is worth getting the letters from UK insurers in the required format - assuming you have the no claims discount to transfer. Don't forget the discount applies to every year you insure your car - not just the first one. If you loose your UK NCD, it takes years to build up the same discount here with ICBC (I think it's 5% per year).
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:37 pm
Happy in Alberta

sms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RubyRose
I would like to thank BE and all my friends here for all their help and information regarding ICBC and motor insurance. I followed the advice given in the forum and got all my insurers in the UK to write letters in the format recommended on the forum, resulting in me getting the maximum discount of 43 %.

I am quite pleased and would not have been able to do this without your help.

A big thank you.
Ruby
Hey

Can you point me in the direction of the advice you found please? A link would be great if poss

Thanks very much
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

dg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to all

I was told (in Ontario) that they don't give credit for experience from driving outside of North America so I have been unable to get any reduction in my premium, despite having my insurance certificate, no claims bonus and a letter from my previous insurer.

Aggravating...
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dg31
I was told (in Ontario) that they don't give credit for experience from driving outside of North America so I have been unable to get any reduction in my premium, despite having my insurance certificate, no claims bonus and a letter from my previous insurer.

Aggravating...
There are insurers in Ontario that will give credit for foreign driving experience. The Cooperators is one. It doesn't follow that they'll offer the lowest premium though.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

dg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
There are insurers in Ontario that will give credit for foreign driving experience. The Cooperators is one. It doesn't follow that they'll offer the lowest premium though.
Thanks, I'll have to check them out.